Herb Nerf

90 Pandaren Monk
oh how I wish the things i didnt like were optional. As a high end raider dailies are a must, capping valor was a must that usually stops but now thanks to item upgrades now neverstops. LFR...well its hands down my most hated activity in this game and in fact is the first and only thing that has ever made me consider quitting(at least game related) but at least thats not forever but i strongly feel that as a heroic raider I should never have to do it once. Dailies...would never do a single daily.

And for the record, I say this as someone who does follow the AH enough to turn over 5 to 20k a day when I feel like playing with it. So shove your 'herpaderp just buy it'. No. If I wanted to spend money to make money I'd just farm the herbs and sell high, then do my cards when they're low. All this does is turn another pointless chore into a tedious pointless chore.

Ill be honest i don't think I will ever understand that train of thought. You know how to turn 5k into 20k but you would rather go gather herbs for 3 hours instead of buy what you need.

Time is the real currency in wow not gold.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/03/2012 12:10 AMPosted by Zachfu
Time is the real currency in wow not gold.

Agreed. And my time is acceptably spent spending a half hour to hour or so a day decompressing flying in circles herbing/mining while chatting in /g and listening to music to support my 2 inscriptionists, alchemist, and 2 currently subscribed JCs. Much like for my main a half-hour to an hour a day was acceptable for a dungeon run and some dailies. Any amount more than 5 minutes playing Spreadsheet: The Game, cross-checking Auctioneer's math to make sure the de to shard upgrade conversion will be a plus value, buying out and resetting the price on any gems that have dropped to under half to a third of market value on uncut, crafting and listing a half dozen steady sale consumables, buying out old world mats that are running low to gouge the price 500% since CRZ has killed small pop servers chances of restocking, etc etc etc etc just isn't. It's like solving word problems in an exam in Hell while someone in /2 shouts Dirge and Thunderfury in your ear. I should strip my bank alt naked to complete the nightmare math test trifecta.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
12/03/2012 12:59 AMPosted by Sealofkisses
And my time is acceptably spent spending a half hour to hour or so a day decompressing flying in circles herbing/mining

fair enough.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I don't really get gathering at level cap...unless you enjoy it. If you enjoy it, great. Have fun with it. Playing the high end AH is fun for some people.

What I want to really know is why you think you have to provide your guildmates with DMF trinkets. If they raid then they should already have them. If they don't raid then they don't need them. One of the obligations of a raider is to gear themselves to the best of their abilities and be self sufficient.

And this is coming from a gal that wholly funded battle cauldrons for two different raids a week through my own profits. --I had to the gold and was willing but I certainly expected them to put in efforts too. It goes with my "Never loan gold" philosophy. Only one person has ever actually paid me back. So now I give it away or I say no. But no loans. It only leads to a person feeling entitled to the profits of your efforts and that's just not right.
Reply Quote
This nerf will have other effects as well. Not sure about your servers,. but on mine, bots are almost non existent. The reason being, their was no market for their bottted ore/herbs...anyone who could mine/herb, would just spend the time to collect what they need. Even if you didnt herb or mine, a friend could do it for you and a deal could be made. Or you could purchase them on the AH for a reasonable fee/.

No, this will bring back bots, as now there is a viable market for them.

I knew this was too god to be true. Blizzard finally figured out a way to get rid of them....and now they messed it up. Any nerf at all is a bad idea IMHO.

The idea that there is a need to "Stabilize" the market assumes that the market is unstable in the first place, I do not understand how they came to this conclusion. I think they are trying to fix something that is not broke. All thats going to happen is miners and herbs are going to get allot richer and there will be much less trinkets available for players as the price will be out of reach for most.
Edited by Rydak on 12/3/2012 3:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
its an MMO, you aren't ment to do everything for yourself..

What part of making cards/other stuff for Friends/Guildmembers escaped you?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
12/03/2012 03:32 AMPosted by Polariz
its an MMO, you aren't ment to do everything for yourself..

What part of making cards/other stuff for Friends/Guildmembers escaped you?

helping out friends and guildies is great....make them get the mats if gathering them yourself is such a burden.

I made 30 decks for my guild the first fair with no ink trader most of which was me some others just provided some scrolls. I not only completely payed for it by selling a handful of extras but turned a profit for my guild. gave up roughly a million gold worth of personal profit to do it.
Edited by Zachfu on 12/3/2012 6:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
12/02/2012 07:33 AMPosted by Zachfu
100g/stack herbs puts your cost at 10k per deck.

Making decks is so rng dependent, I love you just pulling this out of your !@#. The herbing nerf is horrible Blizzard, gj.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
that's what trading is for. Yes if you just want 1 deck and quit it will probably cost you more than 10k, but if you say make cards for 1 month you will very likely be able to make 3 decks for less than 30k gold baring any absurdly bad rng.

100g a stack herbs. 1 stack of herbs = 1 starlight ink. 10starlight ink = 1 card. 1 deck = 8 cards. 8000g. so 10k is overestimating by 20% even if you want to consider oxen cards worth 0 which they aren't.

http://imageshack.us/a/img194/7995/darkmoonm.jpg
tell me i don't know what im talking about.
Edited by Zachfu on 12/3/2012 11:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
While I have no issue with the concept of reducing the spawn rate for whatever reason...the factual result is absurd.

I'm on a Druid in the Briny Muck with Master Flying, and L-25 Guild gathering bonus. Pre-5.1, I was collecting 15+stacks of Fool's Cap per hour. I wrote the numbers down and timed it. And that is with, at times, 2-3 herbalists covering the same area.

Tonight, I'm the only one out here at 2am on a medium pop server. Precisely one node has spawned in seventeen minutes, so I've gathered 3 herbs in all that time.

This is no 'nerf'...it's a sledgehammer.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Ok, I freaked out too. I craft items for profit, and the cost of herbs and ore went NUTS when this went down. But then I really started to think about what this means to the AH on my server and to my current methods of making gold. And the truth is, it really is a wash.

For the most egregious problems you see now, you have to remember: It's only been a week since patch.

Our servers' auction house has done many backflips as herbs and ore go up in price, and down to zero availability at times, and the residual stuff that was made from super cheap mats the week before stays low in price making it impossible to make a profit until the crafted items price is corrected by the market.

Once the cheap crafted items sell down, and the folks who enjoy herbing/mining realize they can make an honest living doing so now, the supply will increase again and prices will stabilize at about double what they were before. Which means you have to pick 1/2 the number of herbs to make the same amount of gold.

(Tip: wait until an item you wish to sell runs out on the AH at the too low price and then post the item at the new, reasonable price. This does not mean post a previous 400g item for 4000g and think it will sell, post it for 800g you natch.)

Brotherbuzz, two points for you: 1. it's darkmoon and the price of herbs has gone way way up, many more ppl are out there herbing than usual. 2. What worked for you with a super fast node spawn isn't going to work as well now. You need to get into a new pattern, covering more ground. Once you adjust your methods to the new reality you will see better yields.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I am growing sick of gathering herbs on my Monk. Pre-5.1 I couldn't even hit 600 because all the damn tea leaf was grey. Post-5.1 finally figured out the silk flowers in the Valley of the Four Winds rice patties and marshes. But I am still seeing a crap load of herbs every day and have taken to just skipping the tea leaf...why is there so much freaking tea leaf?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
The scribes are happy to take your tasty tasty tea leaf. Put it on the AH.

(I suddenly imagined my scribe sitting drinking bucket loads of green tea to keep focus while drawing out all the pretty darkmoon cards.)
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
The scribes are happy to take your tasty tasty tea leaf. Put it on the AH.

(I suddenly imagined my scribe sitting drinking bucket loads of green tea to keep focus while drawing out all the pretty darkmoon cards.)

lol...I like that. And yes, my herbalist is a scribe, so I have been using the green leaf I occasionally pick after killing a few nearby mobs in addition to the other herbs.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
I actually thought they made herbs so readily available because they knew we got overburdened with dailies. Same with ore. Other reasons might have been CRZ'ing. idk.

It sucks now. It is almost more of a good idea for people to farm herbs with their farms. Sure it may not make stacks and stacks, but it is merging dailies with farming, so to speak.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Reducing supply does not stabilize an economy, even if it's a fictional one. All this will do is make some people do without certain things in game. Penalizing the people who don't use WoW as a finance game, because they spend time working to gain items in game, is completely unfair.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
12/04/2012 09:31 AMPosted by Delsaran
Reducing supply does not stabilize an economy, even if it's a fictional one. All this will do is make some people do without certain things in game. Penalizing the people who don't use WoW as a finance game, because they spend time working to gain items in game, is completely unfair.

Actually, the purpose is to help the gatherers...the ones who would otherwise do without certain things in game because they fail to realize the value of their time and the mats they gather. People who play the finance game are savvy enough not to waste time gathering herbs. They buy it off of the AH and use their professions to make it more valuable.
Edited by Jozie on 12/4/2012 9:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
This is fine when talking about making gold on the AH. But there are many out there that don't enjoy nor have the savvy to play the AH game. And there are many of those same people who are attempting to supply their raid teams or guild with mats for actual raiding. They don't have the resouces or know how to obtain the materials from the AH but have the time to farm the materials to make what their raid team/guild needs.

I'm AH player, a raider and someone who enjoys farming. I buy and sell a variety of items on the AH. I never had problems making gold from farming . . . depending on the market I would either sell the excess raw herbs, or flasks, or glyphs or darkmoon cards. It was easy gold for little effort. It made it easy for me supply all the needed flasks/potions for my raid team. And with all the other daily/weekly tasks I need to accomplish having to spend 1 hour vs 5 to 7 hours a week was a blessing and made the game more enjoyable for me.

Nerf the spawn rates . . . fine. But it seems that this nerf is buggy as hell when it takes more than 30 minutes for a respawn of Silkweed in the Valley. This seems excessive and more than a 50% reduction. I can live with it taking a few extra minutes to respawn but 30 minutes? This is Cata horror returning with a vengence. As a gatherer there is nothing more discouraging then flying around for hours at a time with little reward for effort. There is nothing enjoyable nor profitable about that.
Edited by Xantara on 12/4/2012 2:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
I hate pvp bots but thank goodness for farming bots and gold farmers to fill AH with abundence of herbs and ore, otherwise I'd be loggin on to play "World of Herbfarmingcraft"
I used to be againgst it, not any more.
'Oh but it's an mmo, it's the way it works, it's for the economy" pfffttt.....I'm unemployed and have been for quite some time, and even I wont waste time farming for hours.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]