So, What are the new MMOs coming

96 Undead Warlock
First up, this is not about the "next WoW killer" people need to get in their heads that there isn't going to be a WoW killer.

What I am curious about though is what new MMOs are on the horizon

We know Blizz is working on Titan even if we know nothing about that.

I've got some friends who have been playing Mechwarrior Online beta and they say it's great

The guys who made EvE are working on World of Darkness which I gather is a Modern day Vampire mmo.

Tyrion is working with SyFy to create a hybrid TV show/MMO game called Defience

and I've been keeping track of Pathfinder Online which is aiming to be a sandbox sword and sorcery MMO.

So what else is coming down the pipe and what are people looking forward to?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Star Citizen.
Reply Quote
89 Worgen Rogue
Elder scrolls online, Archeage, Blade and Soul will likely get westernized as well, the guys that made eve were working on a mmofps to go along with eve called Dust 514 (i think thats the name) but idk if thier still working on it. Thats all i can think of off the top of my head, unfortunatly the warhammer 40k mmo got canceled because thq is struggling.
Reply Quote
96 Undead Warlock
12/02/2012 02:36 PMPosted by Muddkips
Elder scrolls online, Archeage, Blade and Soul will likely get westernized as well, the guys that made eve were working on a mmofps to go along with eve called Dust 514 (i think thats the name) but idk if thier still working on it. Thats all i can think of off the top of my head, unfortunatly the warhammer 40k mmo got canceled because thq is struggling.

well Blade and Soul can burn in hell as far as I am concerned and take all of NCSoft with it.

I do enjoy the Elder Scroll's universe but, Elder scrolls online would need an overhaul of the usual system or it'll be full of people getting a mob stuck in a wall so they can spend the day moving in and out of it's melee range to boost their armor skill to max. or sticking a book on their spacebar till they can jump to the moon. That's the main flaw of Skill based games, people pick a repetitive task and just farm the skill up to max level. I still remember all the crap people used to do to level their weapon skills in Vanilla WoW and I know how my friends played Skirm (and then complained to me how boring the game was. Meanwhile I've been playing the game the way it was intended and I'm still having fun)

Haven't heard of the others

Shame about Warhammer 40K, but then I doubt I would have gotten to play my favorite Tyranids in it anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I must admit that I am somewhat looking forward to TES Online. I'm sure it will be mediocre at best, but I just think it looks really fun based on the reveal video they did not too long ago.
Reply Quote
I'm not super pumped for many of them, although I know I'd end up giving World of Darkness a shot because I really enjoy that sort of atmosphere. But, for me, I'm primarily looking forward to FFXIV: A Realm Reborn and while I know everyone says how much the original sucked, I'm still willing to give that game a definite shot when it becomes available (considering they have a different development team working on it and are fixing the systems everyone hated in it). Plus I didn't really give 1.0 a shot either, and I sort of wish I did -- beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all.

If they are able to implement everything correctly and well, I might just end up sticking with that game. (Considering none have held me very well so far... Aion, TERA, Rift, GW, GW2 and even WoW to a somewhat lesser degree, though that's mainly because WoW's a bit nostalgic to me... I keep having spurts of activity and inactivity).

That, and I wouldn't mind RPing in a FF universe (As... I usually understand those universes a lot better than others like, say, WoW's or Rift's and find them more engaging).
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
ArcheAge Online might be worth following, as it is a full sandbox MMO with player created housing/cities.

12/02/2012 02:36 PMPosted by Muddkips
the guys that made eve were working on a mmofps to go along with eve called Dust 514 (i think thats the name) but idk if thier still working on it

Unfortunately DUST514 is a console FPS (terrible). They do have Keyboard+Mouse support but it is sketchy at best. I got accepted into the DUST514 beta a while back and played it for a bit until I got fed up with the poor Keyboard/Mouse support. Also I'd like to clarify that DUST514 is not an MMOFPS. It is a console FPS with RPG style character progression via EVE style skills and dropsuit/vehicle fitting (gearing). However, you are not exploring vast worlds and out doing your own thing like an MMO. The actual game play is typical of an FPS. You go into a set match that is either team DM or BC2 style conquest. These matches are played out on maps of sizes that are not as big as a BC2 map. DUST514's connection to EVE Online is primarily involved with PI (Planetary Interaction). Which currently has no PvP component other than the customs offices that orbit the planets and the passive aggressive tactic of over extracting near their stuff to deplete the material supplies.
Reply Quote
89 Worgen Rogue
Ah, my mistake, i dont play eve and i wasnt following dust very closely, just casual glances from game informer articles.
Reply Quote
14 Human Mage
Darkfall: Unholy Wars will be out December 12th... kinda surprised there's not more activity about this one. Should be an excellent game for any pvp fan or anyone really that likes the thrill of actual consequences (ie full body loot) should you die.
Reply Quote
I do enjoy the Elder Scroll's universe but, Elder scrolls online would need an overhaul of the usual system or it'll be full of people getting a mob stuck in a wall so they can spend the day moving in and out of it's melee range to boost their armor skill to max. or sticking a book on their spacebar till they can jump to the moon. That's the main flaw of Skill based games, people pick a repetitive task and just farm the skill up to max level. I still remember all the crap people used to do to level their weapon skills in Vanilla WoW and I know how my friends played Skirm (and then complained to me how boring the game was. Meanwhile I've been playing the game the way it was intended and I'm still having fun)

TES:O is made by ZeniMax and is also a different genre to Skyrim. While they are likely to have many elements in common, I doubt they'll use the exact same system.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
The only MMOs worth looking forward to are TES:O and Titan, imo.

Unless something stands out and screams at me, that's where my hopes lie for a new MMO to. Every other big MMO since '05 has been a cosmetic lure that either ended up with shoddy mechanics, a store based experience, a major lack of customization and variety or a super-long grind, or no grind at all.
Reply Quote
96 Undead Warlock
I'm mostly interested in Pathfinder Online right now I think. It's a couple of years before it even hits Beta but the stuff they have been talking about for it sounds like a pretty major departure from the WoW Clones we keep getting.

And I very much want to see a good Sandbox style MMO. I've always disliked how little impact our characters have on the world in WoW. When they introduced Phasing I was hoping that they were going to use that to let our characters feel like they were making permanent changes in the world. Kind of like how things went in Ice Crown during Wrath only world wide.

The things Goblinworks is talking about for Pathfinder sound like what I've been wanting out of WoW. A persistent world influenced by player interaction and player development. Plus little things like being able to put bounties on Gankers, NPCs reacting to you based on alignment, Gathering professions being more like being the mine foreman instead of a guy with a pike in his pack. Needing to hire adventurers (IE: other players) because your mining camp is attracting monster that are killing your workers.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
ArcheAge Online might be worth following, as it is a full sandbox MMO with player created housing/cities.

the guys that made eve were working on a mmofps to go along with eve called Dust 514 (i think thats the name) but idk if thier still working on it

Unfortunately DUST514 is a console FPS (terrible). They do have Keyboard+Mouse support but it is sketchy at best. I got accepted into the DUST514 beta a while back and played it for a bit until I got fed up with the poor Keyboard/Mouse support. Also I'd like to clarify that DUST514 is not an MMOFPS. It is a console FPS with RPG style character progression via EVE style skills and dropsuit/vehicle fitting (gearing). However, you are not exploring vast worlds and out doing your own thing like an MMO. The actual game play is typical of an FPS. You go into a set match that is either team DM or BC2 style conquest. These matches are played out on maps of sizes that are not as big as a BC2 map. DUST514's connection to EVE Online is primarily involved with PI (Planetary Interaction). Which currently has no PvP component other than the customs offices that orbit the planets and the passive aggressive tactic of over extracting near their stuff to deplete the material supplies.

This.

If you want a true MMOFPS experience.. try Planetside 2. Just released as Free to Play on Steam. It's not a traditional MMO in that there is no PVE but what it does have are massive dynamic battles that take place between 3 warring factions on huge continental maps.

It isn't without its bugs, but the devs have shown themselves to be very responsive to player feedback and the game is improving every day.

If WoW and BF3 had a baby and it was F2P, it would be Planetside 2

www.planetside2.com
Edited by Captnronn on 12/4/2012 11:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
89 Worgen Rogue
I forgot about wildstar but it also has the ncsoft logo on it so you might want to pass.

As for pathfinder, i really want to try a sandbox mmo but alot of the things they talk about sound like it can easily be grieved and i just simply dont enjoy that in rpg's, its better suited to something like day z.
Reply Quote
96 Undead Warlock
12/04/2012 09:05 PMPosted by Muddkips
I forgot about wildstar but it also has the ncsoft logo on it so you might want to pass.

I was pretty interested in Wildstar. I would like a good SciFi MMO.

But I don't intend to support anything from NCSoft. They are not a company that can be trusted, and they have no regard for their customers or their employees.

They will never get 1 cent out of me ever again
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Titan
Star Citizen
ESO

That's about it.
Reply Quote
96 Undead Warlock
Star Citizen? Whats that about I haven't heard of it yet
Reply Quote
91 Dwarf Hunter
Which of these new MMOs will be payed to play?

I will never again play pay to win ("free to play") MMO, I want a fair monthly sub.
Reply Quote
89 Worgen Rogue
12/04/2012 11:28 PMPosted by Drakmor
Star Citizen? Whats that about I haven't heard of it yet

Its a space sim, and the most popular game on kickstarter atm but im pretty sure they havnt even begun working on it yet so dont expect it for awhile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhsgiliheP0
Reply Quote
10 Tauren Warrior
12/02/2012 01:17 PMPosted by Drakmor
The guys who made EvE are working on World of Darkness which I gather is a Modern day Vampire mmo.

This is the first I've heard of the MMO but the WOD universe has far more than vampires; at the very least I'd expect to see mages and werewolves too. I'll have to look into that game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]