This Actually Matters.

90 Troll Monk
And the 'This' is levels.

I have had countless roleplayers (All of which were blood elves, ironically), who think that levels has nothing to do with roleplay, and I am here to refute that thought process with pure logic.

Here we go.

Why your level 50 cannot beat my level 90:

Let me start off by saying, I HATE RP dueling. I -hate- it. It always turns into a 'Nuh uh. I hit you' 'No you didn't, I dodged it!' 'Nuh-uh! You can't dodge my...super...mega...hyper...awesome...destroyer beam'. Unless it's in a controlled environment, as in we sort of have an idea of what we want, then I -HATE- RP dueling. If I have to determine a physical victor, I prefer to duel and let whoever wins...Win.

Here's the thing though. My character can probably take on 10-15 level 85 Jinyu in Pandaria. Does this fact matter? No. What -does- matter is that your character cannot. I am even willing to turn into the Obsidium Nightwing, let you mount up, fly you to the area (if I can), and watch you fight this mob.

My character is decently geared for its level, and even if it was in greens, the stats they give would make it so in a duel, your character would get -stomped-. But let's take away the stats. Let's just go full RP.

Your level 50 character cannot beat the mob that drops the item. Let's go another angle. Let's say your character is a trade baron and buys the item. Awesome! They can't equip it.

'So what? That's just a gameplay gimmick' you might be saying, and you know what? You're 70% right. The other 30% is pure logic. Do you remember how warrior have to wear mail till level 40, then they get their plate? Why notjust scale down plate stats to mail level, call it all plate, and let warriors wear that? Because it doesn't make any sense, that's why. Plate is heavy and stiff. It's hard to move in, and even harder to perform actual combat in. Your character has to reach level 40 to 'gain a mastery in it' so they can utilize plate. By this standard, all forms of armor require some sort of knowledge to be able to equip. All leather is not the same. There are different clasps and buckles. The material may be more stiff or lighter. It may be heavier. It's different, therefore your character needs to grow and adapt to be able to properly use it.

Experience? You mean those purple numbers?

Experience, also, matters. In game it is represented by purple numbers whenever you kill a mob or complete a quest. But it's also more than that. Here is a real life example: Let's say you have a family member who has been in the construction business for more than 20 years. If you and that family member were given the task to build a house within 4 months, that family member would -wreck- you. Is it because they were born with this talent? No. It's because they've been at it longer. They have Experience. A level 90 has seen more and done more than a level 50. It's just that simple.

My character has beaten Deathwing. I've gotten the achievement for it and everything. For roleplay sakes, however, since that is clearly far too epic of a task for him to have done alone (or even in a group of 10), I prefer to state that he's beaten a liutenant of Deathwing, likely a member of the Twilight Hammer. It's small, but it has its own merit, and it's something a level 50 could not do.

<Continued>
90 Troll Monk
Edited by Zulatal on 12/3/12 12:01 PM (PST) But Roleplay is Roleplay. Levels shouldn't matter.

This is where you are wrong. Everything you do in World of Warcraft follows the theme of getting stronger. Whether you're grinding levels, grinding gear, grinding rep, grinding honor...It's all with a reason. You grind levels so you can do end game. You grind gear so you can beat that raid boss. You grind rep so you can get those items, vanity or not, that progress your character. You grind honor so you can buy the PvP gear to beat other players with. There is almost nothing you can do in WoW that doesn't progress your character.

That being said, why does your character deserve to beat mine? Why does your level 50, that you haven't put in as much time or effort, deserve to beat up a level 90?

How would you feel if you spent the time levelling your toon, you grinded the gear, you're doing dailies like it's a religion, and you're pulling top DPS because you -earned it-, but a level 10 says they can beat you because 'In RP, Levels don't matter'?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope this message gets out and influences -SOMEONE- next time they think they're level 50 toon can beat a level 90. Don't get me wrong, don't let -any- player be a tyrant and boss your character around (Especially in a city, since you can just muscle up beside a guard and warn the agressor, and they should respect that, since they can't take on an entire city), but if you're picking a fight with a level 90 and you're a level 63 Blood Elf Monk (as it happened to me last night)? Reconsider your character for a second.
100 Night Elf Druid
Um, why should what you do OOC effect IC?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS7nqwGt4-I

Could you next time save the space and just post that youtube link? Thanks much appreciated.

If you don't like RP combat, don't do it. At all.Ever.

I've played 3 different MMOs, and in all them I can RP just fine and not once have I had to fight someone.

That's over a 5 year period.
99 Human Death Knight
Why does your character deserve to beat my level 50 then? Just because you leveled him, and I didn't?

What does it matter beating npcs? My level 70 could've beaten Kil'jaeden, and sincerely, I think he's quite a bit stronger than Deathwing, even weakened by the interrupted transition to azeroth.

You are putting gameplay mechanics into the roleplay equation, which doesn't work. If we do so, my warlock will be suddenly unable to grab a gun and shot it, cause I'm obviously too stupid to figure a trigger out, or which way to point the gun, or whatever (even if someone teach me to).

And sincerely, who are you to say I put less effort on my characters than you did on yours?
Edited by Kalad on 12/3/2012 12:15 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Also your title is false. This doesn't not actually matter.
90 Troll Monk
12/03/2012 12:08 PMPosted by Erydani

Because it's dealing with your character. You're roleplaying your character, are you not? If you're roleplaying a blue martian battlemage from the planet Galkatron, then let me know so I won't roleplay with you, but if you're RPing as 'Erydani, the Night Elf Druid', then your adventures in Azeroth should at -least- influence your character in some fashion.

Could you next time save the space and just post that youtube link? Thanks much appreciated.

I've played 3 different MMOs, and in all them I can RP just fine and not once have I had to fight someone.

I love how you combat a thought out post with 'Crybaby'.

Uh, I've roleplayed for...11 years now? No. 13. Just did the math. And 85% of my roleplays have no fighting in them. Those are fine. But it's World of (say it with me) WARcraft. War. W-a-r. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing (Say it again).

But you know what else it is good for? Causing fights. They happen. Sorry. Maybe you need that link more.

Oh, and irony time: You're a Blood Elf Paladin.
100 Worgen Priest
I have a silly question - if you hate RP dueling, why do you do it?

I mean, granted, everyone's entitled their opinion, and we can't all agree on the same things. But just because you hate RP dueling doesn't mean that the people who aren't playing the way you like are stupid.

If you continually find yourself in these situations, perhaps establish a fair set of rules for RP fighting before it starts?
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Because it's dealing with your character. You're roleplaying your character, are you not? If you're roleplaying a blue martian battlemage from the planet Galkatron, then let me know so I won't roleplay with you, but if you're RPing as 'Erydani, the Night Elf Druid', then your adventures in Azeroth should at -least- influence your character in some fashion.

I love how you combat a thought out post with 'Crybaby'.

Uh, I've roleplayed for...11 years now? No. 13. Just did the math. And 85% of my roleplays have no fighting in them. Those are fine. But it's World of (say it with me) WARcraft. War. W-a-r. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing (Say it again).

But you know what else it is good for? Causing fights. They happen. Sorry. Maybe you need that link more.

It's not a thought out post, it's a rant, you were just kind enough to put it in paragraphs. And that's not what irony means.

Irony would be me agreeing with you then getting on my level 85 warrior and starting a fight with you.

Some further reading: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony

I mean, granted, everyone's entitled their opinion, and we can't all agree on the same things. But just because you hate RP dueling doesn't mean that the people who aren't playing the way you like are stupid.

If you continually find yourself in these situations, perhaps establish a fair set of rules for RP fighting before it starts?

Because he's putting the WAR in Warcraft. Or some stupid thing.
Edited by Layam on 12/3/2012 12:22 PM PST
90 Human Mage
Try doing /roll duels. They're fair and fun.

Levels do not matter for RP. What matters is how believable the RP is.
90 Human Paladin
According to my level, I can go to Blackrock mountain, and swim laps in the Lava. Must I accept this fact in Rp, that the hot molten rock is only mildly uncomfortable, even when I'm not wearing armor?
90 Troll Monk
If we do so, my warlock will be suddenly unable to grab a gun and shot it, cause I'm obviously too stupid to figure a trigger out, or which way to point the gun, or whatever (even if someone teach me to).

Um. Yea. He is too stupid to shoot a gun.

Ok, let me reword that.

No, he's probably not too stupid to shoot a gun. Anyone can. A five year old can. But to wield it -well-, that's a different story. I would be fine with your warlock shooting a gun at my character.

But if you believe your level 10 Goblin Warlock can wield a level 90 epic bow from Mogushan Vaults and shoot an arrow that flies so fast and so true by pure skill, that it headshots my level 90 monk (and monks are known to deflect arrows and such), then you're just silly.

Roleplay discussion in the roleplay forums.

How silly.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
12/03/2012 12:17 PMPosted by Zulatal

You say that like it's a bad thing.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If we do so, my warlock will be suddenly unable to grab a gun and shot it, cause I'm obviously too stupid to figure a trigger out, or which way to point the gun, or whatever (even if someone teach me to).

Um. Yea. He is too stupid to shoot a gun.

Ok, let me reword that.

No, he's probably not too stupid to shoot a gun. Anyone can. A five year old can. But to wield it -well-, that's a different story. I would be fine with your warlock shooting a gun at my character.

But if you believe your level 10 Goblin Warlock can wield a level 90 epic bow from Mogushan Vaults and shoot an arrow that flies so fast and so true by pure skill, that it headshots my level 90 monk (and monks are known to deflect arrows and such), then you're just silly.

Roleplay discussion in the roleplay forums.

How silly.

Crying about RP duels on the server forums, is not actually something of great import. I'm glad you got it out of your system though.
90 Worgen Warrior
12/03/2012 12:22 PMPosted by Jadoth

Blood Elf Paladins are the scum of the Earth!

-Layam's Worgen
90 Human Paladin

Blood Elf Paladins are the scum of the Earth!

-Layam's Worgen

Huzzah! The Worgen is right! Blood Elf Paladins! Pshaw I say! Pshaw!
How dare he have a preference the whiny minority have an issue with!

-Layam's OTHER Paladin
Edited by Losley on 12/3/2012 12:25 PM PST
93 Draenei Paladin
12/03/2012 12:04 PMPosted by Zulatal
How would you feel if you spent the time levelling your toon, you grinded the gear, you're doing dailies like it's a religion, and you're pulling top DPS because you -earned it-, but a level 10 says they can beat you because 'In RP, Levels don't matter'?

I would feel perfectly fine with that and invite them to try if they really felt like they could. What your views here seem to gloss over is that our characters aren't just born from the moment we roll them. Pyrillia has been a paladin for centuries and has had plenty of combat training. Am I to assume, then, that from levels 1-40, she would have just forgotten how to use heavy plate armor, even though it is what she had done for literally hundreds of years back on Draenor?
100 Human Paladin
Level only dictates how pretty your armour can be in roleplay.
90 Troll Monk
Because petty insults like that really help your case.

Stating facts = Petty Insult.

I said he was a Blood Elf paladin. Is he not?

Oh, and double Irony:

The same guy you're sticking up for said:

It's because I can't avoid it.

Here's the example in question: My character was flirting with a blood elf female (He does that. He's a huge flirt)

Suddenly, two white knighting blood elf males pop up, grab the female, and start threatening my character with guns and swords. She goes along with the roleplay instead of ignoring them.

Do I just 'lol, whatever' and walk away? No, I tried to RP with them. At least until a level 63 Blood Elf monk tried to stab my character, mine challenged him to a duel, and he peaced out and called me a terrible roleplayer. Oh, and that his 63 could beat my character.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]