This Actually Matters.

90 Night Elf Druid
I disagree. Levels have nothing at all to do with RP. A level 90 can be a simple baker who's never seen war, so a level 10 can be a grand adventurer who's been through many of Azeroth's wars. A RPer may have no interest in actually leveling their character and that should not hinder them just because you think you're better for having done it.
90 Human Warrior
It's your opinion that levels matter in a made up world of role play where people fabricate characters and put them into imaginary scenarios.

It's my opinion that levels don't matter.

You can try to use logic all you want but the bottom line is RP is pretend. It’s for fun. The bottom line is, if you don't like how other people play pretend, don't play with them.

This is not the first time this has been brought up (nor I imagine the last time) and I sincerely doubt you'll have any better luck convincing the masses that level matters than your predecessors did.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
12/03/2012 12:27 PMPosted by Zulatal
Because petty insults like that really help your case.

Stating facts = Petty Insult.

I said he was a Blood Elf paladin. Is he not?

Oh, and double Irony:

The same guy you're sticking up for said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS7nqwGt4-I

Could you next time save the space and just post that youtube link? Thanks much appreciated.

I have a silly question - if you hate RP dueling, why do you do it?

It's because I can't avoid it.

Here's the example in question: My character was flirting with a blood elf female (He does that. He's a huge flirt)

Suddenly, two white knighting blood elf males pop up, grab the female, and start threatening my character with guns and swords. She goes along with the roleplay instead of ignoring them.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA How did I know? You flirted with a xenophobic, hyper nationalistic race and expected everyone to be okay with it.

Do I just 'lol, whatever' and walk away? No, I tried to RP with them.

When two guys threaten you in real life do you immediately draw a gun? Escalate much?

At least until a level 63 Blood Elf monk tried to stab my character, mine challenged him to a duel, and he peaced out and called me a terrible roleplayer. Oh, and that his 63 could beat my character.

Pssst He was right.

Layam's Death Knight

Your thread matters less now.
Edited by Lansuer on 12/3/2012 12:31 PM PST
Here's the example in question: My character was flirting with a blood elf female (He does that. He's a huge flirt)

Suddenly, two white knighting blood elf males pop up, grab the female, and start threatening my character with guns and swords. She goes along with the roleplay instead of ignoring them.

Do I just 'lol, whatever' and walk away? No, I tried to RP with them. At least until a level 63 Blood Elf monk tried to stab my character, mine challenged him to a duel, and he peaced out and called me a terrible roleplayer. Oh, and that his 63 could beat my character.

To be honest? If I were in that situation, I'd walk away. That sounds more like godmodding than anything else (depending on how they tried to lolstab you).

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I'm just trying to figure out if maybe there's a different way to look at/approach the situation. I very rarely get into RP dueling myself, and the handful of times I have, it's mostly been based on emotes and everyone (regardless of level) was respectful of each other's characters.
90 Human Death Knight
If we do so, my warlock will be suddenly unable to grab a gun and shot it, cause I'm obviously too stupid to figure a trigger out, or which way to point the gun, or whatever (even if someone teach me to).

Um. Yea. He is too stupid to shoot a gun.

Ok, let me reword that.

No, he's probably not too stupid to shoot a gun. Anyone can. A five year old can. But to wield it -well-, that's a different story. I would be fine with your warlock shooting a gun at my character.

But if you believe your level 10 Goblin Warlock can wield a level 90 epic bow from Mogushan Vaults and shoot an arrow that flies so fast and so true by pure skill, that it headshots my level 90 monk (and monks are known to deflect arrows and such), then you're just silly.

No.

He IS unable to shot a gun. He can't even HOLD a gun with his hands longer than the time it takes to throw it into his backpack.

Then we gonna cherrypick gameplay mechanics, is that it? It's pants on head retarded for a level 50 to beat a level 90, but it's totally okay for a class that is unable to use a certain weapon to use it? Just because the latter sounds "stupid"?

(btw, monks aren't "known" to deflect arrows. That's a myth. Very few were able to do so, and from long range, where the arrow would lose much of its speed. And even then, It was pretty freaking dangerous)

That's your opinion on the matter. It's okay to have different opinions. It's not okay to force it into others. If someone tries to defeat your level 90 elite rare epic class monk as a level 1 rogue, just refuse to roleplay it. Don't try to "illuminate" him.

(btw, monks aren't "known" to deflect arrows. That's a myth. Very few were able to do so, and from long range, where the arrow would lose much of its speed. And even then, It was pretty freaking dangerous)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb5nZSlou1o

Lets just settle that argument right here and now!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA How did I know? You flirted with a xenophobic, hyper nationalistic race and expected everyone to be okay with it.

I do what I want. She was flirting back. She wouldn't have dressed like that if she didn't want it.

You're a disgusting human being that I will not spend anymore time on. You're not even worth making fun of.
90 Orc Warrior

I do what I want. She was flirting back. She wouldn't have dressed like that if she didn't want it.

You're a disgusting human being that I will not spend anymore time on. You're not even worth making fun of.

This won't end well, Zulatal.
90 Draenei Paladin
Did you gloss over my post, Zulatal? I'm honestly curious how you would reconcile a situation like I brought up, considering it's not at all unique.
90 Human Warrior

You are absolutely correct, and I agree.

But even pretend needs some sort of 'realism'. No, trolls don't exist in real life. Neither do flying, fire breathing dragons. But what does exist is an inability to shoot a regular, non magical bullet through walls.

In fact, realism in RP is what seperates good roleplayers from the bad.

Let's level for a second.

If I roleplayed as Deathwing, and said that I destroyed Azeroth, recreated it, and named the new planet you're roleplaying on as: SillyArfArf Land, and it had no gravity, and we were currently flying and avoiding clouds that shoot killer thumbtacks at us.

Would you take me seriously?
Or how about if I said my character could pick up the entire city of Stormwind. Just lift it out of the ground and carry it on his back.

No. You wouldn't. Because it's not -realistic-. Even stretching fantasy, it's just silly at best.

Realism has its place in RP.

I don't take you seriously now given a lot of the posts you make.
90 Night Elf Warrior
Actually no, I'm not going to get mixed up in this kind of Forum Drama. *Gets off the ship.*
Edited by Lëora on 12/3/2012 12:54 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Paladin
12/03/2012 12:38 PMPosted by Zulatal
She wouldn't have dressed like that if she didn't want it.

Wow.

I really hope this was a tongue-in-cheek comment from your character's perspective.

If you OOCly believe that, then... no comment. Just wow.
Edited by Jadoth on 12/3/2012 12:47 PM PST
90 Human Death Knight

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/28773495.jpg
Would you take me seriously?

Or how about if I said my character could pick up the entire city of Stormwind. Just lift it out of the ground and carry it on his back.

Don't be so sure about that. I can find some ways to work that in ICly.

No. You wouldn't. Because it's not -realistic-. Even stretching fantasy, it's just silly at best.

Realism has its place in RP.

I agree that realism has its place, but when you start weaving in game mechanics - that comes down to player preference. I have no problem roleplaying with a level one stand in character and pretending they're stronger than their PvE aspect, just as I have no problem pretending that the level 90 I'm interacting with is exactly what they claim to be.

It's all cowboys and indians in the end.
90 Orc Warrior

...? I'm drawing a blank on this one; Is it the norm for women, where you live Layam, to dress I'm guessing trashy from what the OP is saying. Or am I missing a thing of text.

Trashy is subjective. No one deserves sexual assault because of how they look or what they wear.

That way lies dragons.
90 Blood Elf Monk
Experience, also, matters. In game it is represented by purple numbers whenever you kill a mob or complete a quest. But it's also more than that. Here is a real life example: Let's say you have a family member who has been in the construction business for more than 20 years. If you and that family member were given the task to build a house within 4 months, that family member would -wreck- you. Is it because they were born with this talent? No. It's because they've been at it longer. They have Experience. A level 90 has seen more and done more than a level 50. It's just that simple.

I role play this character as butler and bodyguard for someone who was, at times, 30 levels higher than me and certainly did not need my puny fists of fury to protect him. It is not necessary to get into IC fights, just to prove a point. IC conflicts can always be solved without IC violence. Of course, that depends on how 'experienced' you are as a role player. And guess what, that's were level actually doesn't matter at all.
We're the same level now. (IC leveling in Vash'jr at the moment, World RP encouraged if you see us, btw.)

No, - level should not matter at all, unless one just loves to power play (that goes for both, low level and max level,) or one has their story so close to the hero storyline of the game that there is absolutely no other way than leveling up just to be on par with what one attempts to prove.
But that's boring, and not always possible anyway.

Almost everyone killed Deathwing. Almost everyone killed Arthas. Almost everyone killed Kil'Jaeden, Kael'thas and all the end game bosses. If I want Yezian to say that he was a foot soldier in the army to support the fall of those villains, then I will do so. Pointing out my level to prove me wrong would be like calling me by my name without actually IC'ly knowing it.

Level is the number given to you by the game as a reward for gaining experience. It is not your age and it does not determine the amount of experience you have IC'ly. I can decide right here and now that I wish to roleplay a childlike level 90 warlock. Naive... maybe a bit stupid, who spent most of her life in her respective capital city.
If I would have a level 50 warlock who spent most of her life outside, being a warlock, amassing power, reading up on her craft and practicing it, then this level 50 would have more experience than my level 90 city dweller.

In the end, it all depends on what kind of story you have for your character. Not it's level.

Just my 2c.

Y.
90 Night Elf Warrior
Actually no, I'm not going to get mixed up in this kind of Forum Drama. *Gets off the ship.*
Edited by Lëora on 12/3/2012 12:52 PM PST
90 Troll Monk
...? I'm drawing a blank on this one; Is it the norm for women, where you live Layam, to dress I'm guessing trashy from what the OP is saying. Or am I missing a thing of text.

Trashy is subjective. No one deserves sexual assault because of how they look or what they wear.

That way lies dragons.

Flirting = Sexual assault?

There was no %@@#%%*#. There was no sexual assault. There was nothing forced or unwanted. There was no coersion, there was no blackmail, there was nothing wrong.

What there was, however, was a bunch of people getting bent out of shape on a forum over a single phrase uttered in a joking fashion.
90 Orc Warrior
Undesirable attention can frequently lead to assault, yes. Your view that there was no coercion, IC or otherwise, doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Joking about @%%!@!%# is not as hep as you think it is, Zulatal.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]