This Actually Matters.

90 Blood Elf Rogue
12/03/2012 12:21 PMPosted by Layam
Some further reading: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony

Posting to be ironic.

Wait, what???

Also: yeah sure OP, it's ALWAYS a Blood Elf rite??? How IRONIC!

rofl

edit: PS, SS's or it didn't happen OP, your posts sound like bull!@#$
Edited by Sef on 12/3/2012 1:16 PM PST
90 Pandaren Monk
Because here's the thing: You may be from Draenor, and an experienced Paladin, and a justicar of the light, and a champion of vengance, and has defeated 18 million demons, but if my character asks for help defeating 1 Burning Legion mob in Outlands, even just for RP sakes, what is your character going to say? Uh, no thanks...I'm busy....Uh...Fighting Kobolds?

Yeah, why not? Because honestly the threats in Outland are way less immediate than the stuff happening on Azeroth these days. Quite honestly if a level 90 character looks at me, sighs, and says the fighting in the Barrens is getting worse and worse, I'm going to look at them and say, man, that's awesome. This guy is a grizzled front line veteran. And why would he bother with Pandaria, it's obviously not the ONLY warfront on Azeroth. In fact ALL the prior warfronts have opened up hard, so who's to say a level 90 would blow through enemies on the Barrens front like they were nothing? Who's to day that a level 90 can't devote themselves to helping reforge Desolace instead of messing around on a continent that only just surfaced that honestly why they should they care about? Who's to say a sentinel not assigned to Pandaria and fighting in Ashenvale can't be level 90? It's arbitrary, and no justification can make it not arbitrary, it can only make it sound contrived and terrible.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
How expected.
90 Troll Monk
No.

He IS unable to shot a gun. He can't even HOLD a gun with his hands longer than the time it takes to throw it into his backpack.

Then we gonna cherrypick gameplay mechanics, is that it? It's pants on head retarded for a level 50 to beat a level 90, but it's totally okay for a class that is unable to use a certain weapon to use it? Just because the latter sounds "stupid"?

(btw, monks aren't "known" to deflect arrows. That's a myth. Very few were able to do so, and from long range, where the arrow would lose much of its speed. And even then, It was pretty freaking dangerous)

That's your opinion on the matter. It's okay to have different opinions. It's not okay to force it into others. If someone tries to defeat your level 90 elite rare epic class monk as a level 1 rogue, just refuse to roleplay it. Don't try to "illuminate" him.

I know that he's unable to shoot a gun. I get game mechanics. And there's a way to justify that in roleplay. Let's say the warlock considers guns to be 'barbaric tools' or 'petty and unwieldy'. Maybe it's against the Order that the Paladin is in to use guns. I was just agreeing that anyone can shoot a gun (Even a dog can step on the trigger), but shooting it 'well' is another story.

And I don't mind the 'different opinions'. If you like to RP duel with your level 10? Do it.

But don't bring your level 10 into my RP, directly influence the RP, then try to muscle my level 90 character around.
90 Troll Monk
12/03/2012 01:11 PMPosted by Racar
if level matters to you so much why not just duel them?

Short version: Level 63 Character directly influenced RP they were not in or invited. Roleplay partner allowed them to influence the roleplay, so I went along with it. Offered to RP duel. Character peaced out, and controller called me a baddie and walked away, causing the RP to blah-blah fizzle out.
90 Goblin Warlock
Honestly? I think you're overvaluing your character. I agree with the whole 'let me write my backstory and roleplay it' deal, but why not leave some room for progression? By your standards, I could make a level 1 Human Warrior, and post in his MRP (Or whatever you use) that this character no only has slain Arthas, but also Deathwing, and any future bosses. In the next expansion? Before it's released? This guy has beaten those raid mobs, and gotten all the epic loot. He may be level 1...Ignore that, but he's done it.

This is just bad roleplay- even at level 90 I don't think you should RP your character being the one to land the final blow on Arthas or Deathwing- or even being near the event. Be in ICC fighting skeletons? Sure. Maybe even shoot an arrow into Putricide's buttcheek. But you did not land the final blow.

I agree that a backstory is important. But why not, if you're level 10, say that your character is still learning? Why would you 'max out' immediately? At level 80-90, put whatever you want! Put that your character has seen the edge of the universe and battled multitudes of demons. Put it! But why put that in if you're level 10?

This is, once again, just bad roleplay. Every character has room for improvement. If I RP'ed as the most awesome goblin !@#$% you ever did see with zero weaknesses, it's not my level that is the issue- it's me. It's my RP.

I don't think levels should be taken into question for RP. Unless you are a level 5 blood elf female who wanders into a bar wearing no clothes, I will RP with you and treat your toon as your toon portrays himself. Level 44 former Knight of the Silver Hand and member of the Argent Crusade? Go for it. Level 90 hapless weak peasant decked out in full purples pulling top DPS in his raids? That's fine, too.

Trying to call out other character's backstory by forcing them into situations where their OOC status would be of an issue is bad roleplay as well. It's not constructive. It's downright rude.
90 Goblin Warlock
Honestly, OP, have made me want to largely avoid you and your guild - just by the comments you've made. You're use of game mechanics is far too literal. Also, seriously with this comment?

I do what I want. She was flirting back. She wouldn't have dressed like that if she didn't want it.
Edited by Kuluzane on 12/3/2012 1:19 PM PST
90 Troll Monk
12/03/2012 01:14 PMPosted by Sef
Some further reading: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony

Posting to be ironic.

Wait, what???

Also: yeah sure OP, it's ALWAYS a Blood Elf rite??? How IRONIC!

rofl

edit: PS, SS's or it didn't happen OP, your posts sound like bull!@#$

I just state facts. And I didn't take screen shots. I didn't know a screen shot was needed for every little incident.

I think you should get more angry.
90 Pandaren Monk

I know that he's unable to shoot a gun. I get game mechanics. And there's a way to justify that in roleplay. Let's say the warlock considers guns to be 'barbaric tools' or 'petty and unwieldy'. Maybe it's against the Order that the Paladin is in to use guns. I was just agreeing that anyone can shoot a gun (Even a dog can step on the trigger), but shooting it 'well' is another story.

And I don't mind the 'different opinions'. If you like to RP duel with your level 10? Do it.

But don't bring your level 10 into my RP, directly influence the RP, then try to muscle my level 90 character around.

Who says a warlock would believe that though? And who says he can't competently fire a gun? I understand that class wise he can't wield them, but again, what's the LORE justification? There is none, the justification is entirely based on the fact that some classes should be able to use certain weapons, and some shouldn't. Why can't a warlock wield a cudgel effectively but a priest can? Why can mage wield a sword effectively but a priest can't? It's nonsense is why, mechanics and RP don't belong together. They're not good for each other.
90 Orc Warrior
It's like the lottery in here, y'all.
90 Troll Monk
Honestly, OP, have made me want to largely avoid you and your guild - just by the comments you've made. You're use of game mechanics is far too literal. Also, seriously with this comment?

I do what I want. She was flirting back. She wouldn't have dressed like that if she didn't want it.

Jokes. We do not take them. We get upset, we don't read the rest. We don't care.

There is no fun allowed. This is WoW, not Hello Kitty Adventure Island.

Keep your fun out.

(Also, protips on reading a sentence: The 'It' in this context was in regards to flirting. And a post after reveals she was flirting back. Everything was consensual. Don't make this into something it's not)

And you never showed any interest towards talking to me or my guild before, so I fail to see the loss for me.
90 Draenei Paladin
12/03/2012 01:09 PMPosted by Zulatal
Honestly? I think you're overvaluing your character. I agree with the whole 'let me write my backstory and roleplay it' deal, but why not leave some room for progression? By your standards, I could make a level 1 Human Warrior, and post in his MRP (Or whatever you use) that this character no only has slain Arthas, but also Deathwing, and any future bosses. In the next expansion? Before it's released? This guy has beaten those raid mobs, and gotten all the epic loot. He may be level 1...Ignore that, but he's done it.

You're taking things to a logical extreme to try and make your point, which I will disagree with on merit. It doesn't make sense for a character to say they've defeated bosses that don't actually exist yet. It's plausible for someone who's rolled a level one to say they were part of the forces that stormed ICC. Argue the actual points and don't make up a strawman to make your own.

12/03/2012 01:09 PMPosted by Zulatal
I agree that a backstory is important. But why not, if you're level 10, say that your character is still learning? Why would you 'max out' immediately? At level 80-90, put whatever you want! Put that your character has seen the edge of the universe and battled multitudes of demons. Put it! But why put that in if you're level 10?

Some people may go that route. I'm sure plenty do. I've had characters that do start off at level 1, as if they were fresh to the conflict. It does not make nearly as much sense for a Draenei to do that. They have been alive for centuries. They have fought the Legion before. That isn't to say that there is absolutely nothing that a Draenei could improve upon, but it is silly to think that they're as helpless as you want to make them out to be, just because game mechanics work as they do.

Because here's the thing: You may be from Draenor, and an experienced Paladin, and a justicar of the light, and a champion of vengance, and has defeated 18 million demons, but if my character asks for help defeating 1 Burning Legion mob in Outlands, even just for RP sakes, what is your character going to say? Uh, no thanks...I'm busy....Uh...Fighting Kobolds?

I'm just saying have the mettle to back up your story.

Mettle is not at all the word you want here.

If you were to ask me to go kill a demon of the Legion when I was at a lower level? I would be perfectly fine with RPing that out. Just because the mechanics of the game do not allow me to actually do so, does not mean that my character would not have been able to. It is not as if everything that happened in her past is magically locked away until she hits X level.

Stop trying to limit what people can do.
90 Human Paladin
My question wasn't answered, so ... moving on.

I didn't Rp Aurric until level 70. At that point, I was able to obtain for him the RP set you will see if you click my portrait. This was right after 3.3, when the Server said that Arthas was dead. That was my entrance to Aurric's story -- I wrote that he was a Knight of the Silver Hand who stayed in the plague-lands after the Third War, and then went to Northrend with the Argent Crusade. He fought at the base of Icecrown Citadel as a Healer with all the other Argent Crusaders and Ebon Knights -- Wait a minute, you can't actually do that in game, can you? You're only allowed to be a hero who fights the big bosses.

I digress.

In Stormwind, when it happened that he got into fights -- And he did, because he was an altruist who kept coming across assaults and attempted murders -- I emoted him action for action. He took his hits, a lot of the time he came home bruised and bleeding, needing days to recover at the hands of his allies. He was though, a darn good fighter, and just as often, people took the fall to them. None of the level 80s of the time I ran into had a problem with this. Come to think of it, none of the level 5s, 20s, 47s, and 63s had a problem with it either. I don't suppose it was wrong of me to have Aurric get shot and wounded by a level 15 rogue, was it?

So given this, hypothetically, what would your problem have been with me, if you were in their shoes?

*edited for grammar.
Edited by Aurric on 12/3/2012 1:48 PM PST
90 Troll Monk

Who says a warlock would believe that though? And who says he can't competently fire a gun? I understand that class wise he can't wield them, but again, what's the LORE justification? There is none, the justification is entirely based on the fact that some classes should be able to use certain weapons, and some shouldn't. Why can't a warlock wield a cudgel effectively but a priest can? Why can mage wield a sword effectively but a priest can't? It's nonsense is why, mechanics and RP don't belong together. They're not good for each other.

Why doesn't a Paladin just summon a Dreadsteed and demons?

Why doesn't a warlock just use the light to heal their wounds and ressurect their friends?

Why doesn't rogue just wield a two handed sword and cleave everything in their path?

All of these things, given training and such, could feasibly happen. But they don't. And why? Because it's almost 'god modding'. A gun, especially given the era and such, is considered hard to wield. Hell, they're a little difficult to wield effectively now-a-days, what with recoil and weight. It's why only one class can -effectively- weild them. Sure, a rogue and warrior can use them as well, but to -truely- make use, you would've had to undergo training, either actual training at the hands of a mentor, or years of experience. Either way? You would normally be listed as a Hunter.

Maybe not an exact Hunter. You could say a Ranger, or a Gunslinger, or a Sniper, or a Marksman. But a hunter/archer/gunner class, none-the-less.

If you wanted to put 'Lore wise' using your description, then what's stopping me from making a level 1 Warlock, allowing it to use guns (Or hell, even dual wielding guns), with a buckler strapped to his arm (to block and deflect blows, of course), wearing plate (Because he trained to use plate), and wielding a holy magical hammer that flies around (Because he stole, using his rogue training, a paladin scroll regarding that magic)?
90 Human Death Knight

Because it's acceptable for a draenei to have trained their entire live before they crashed into draenor (because it's nothing unusual). It's not acceptable for someone to have defeated all raid boss/big bads because that would be lore breaking and mary sueism.

You are going miles to bend everything so it can fit your vision. Any particular reason for that? Why do you want to mix IC with OOC so hard?
Edited by Kalad on 12/3/2012 1:29 PM PST
I'm curious about why you would prefer /duel over roleplaying in a roleplaying scenario. I personally use the /roll system because it's fair, most of the time.

Also, if you don't understand why people are upset about your "what she was wearing" "joke", then you probably shouldn't make those in the future. (Or at all, actually.)
90 Human Death Knight
No.

He IS unable to shot a gun. He can't even HOLD a gun with his hands longer than the time it takes to throw it into his backpack.

Then we gonna cherrypick gameplay mechanics, is that it? It's pants on head retarded for a level 50 to beat a level 90, but it's totally okay for a class that is unable to use a certain weapon to use it? Just because the latter sounds "stupid"?

(btw, monks aren't "known" to deflect arrows. That's a myth. Very few were able to do so, and from long range, where the arrow would lose much of its speed. And even then, It was pretty freaking dangerous)

That's your opinion on the matter. It's okay to have different opinions. It's not okay to force it into others. If someone tries to defeat your level 90 elite rare epic class monk as a level 1 rogue, just refuse to roleplay it. Don't try to "illuminate" him.

Again, you are bending the lore and the mechanics toward your goal. What if a warlock doesn't find guns barbaric tools? If we follow your midset, he still can't use it. We don't know anything about the silver hand or the blood knights forbidding guns either.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't RP duels ever. That said I do feel level should be a reflection of IC character strength! To me it shows a degree of investment in the character and coming from a D&D RP background I feel it is the best way to determine the collective experiences and skills of a character. This is a personal thing for me though! RP wise I am a libertarian and I do not think my perspective should be shared with everyone nor do I feel I am required to interact with others.
90 Troll Monk
My question wasn't answer, so ... moving on.

Sorry, so much hate, so little time (and I'm at work).

You're taking things to a logical extreme to try and make your point, which I will disagree with on merit

I feel like everyone's disagreeing with me on merit. I didn't mean to take things to an extreme (I'll admit that I did), but my message was the same. Why could I not make a level 1 and say that he took on the scourge forces in ICC? And if your response is 'You could', then how, praytell, can I back that up, other than with storytelling? If I meant it, and my character wasn't just some drunk or a liar, that he could take on the Scourge in IceCrown, what does he do to prove it?

I've had characters that do start off at level 1, as if they were fresh to the conflict. It does not make nearly as much sense for a Draenei to do that. They have been alive for centuries. They have fought the Legion before.

You're right. It doesn't make sense for a Draenei to do that. But there's ways around it using logic. The Exodar crash landed. From levels 1-10, my Draenei was going through physical rehabilitation. From 10-20, he was still shaking off the mental haze from smashing into Azeroth. Etc. Etc.

If you were to ask me to go kill a demon of the Legion when I was at a lower level? I would be perfectly fine with RPing that out. Just because the mechanics of the game do not allow me to actually do so, does not mean that my character would not have been able to.

Here's my problem, and it's going to come off as condescending, but I don't mean it to (And I just wracked my brain for about 5-10 minutes trying to think of a lighter way to put it), but if I were to have your character ride with mine to the warzone in, say, Hellfire Peninsula, and your character was level 20, and we got off near a patch of demons.

Would you...RP them to death?
90 Blood Elf Rogue
12/03/2012 01:19 PMPosted by Zulatal
I think you should get more angry.

Haha I'm not angry at all, quite the opposite. I'm calling out your entire spiel as being overblown. I don't believe it. You sound dumb. You needed a dictionary link ffs.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]