Where did Tyrande need Mal's help?

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Topic title. I just reread the leader story for clarification and nowhere did I see Tyrande getting saved. Most of the story was even dedicated to Tyrande and not Malfurion even though the title says Tyrande & Malfurion. I'm trying to wrap my head around where you guys got the idea that she needed saving in the short story. In fact, if anything I saw them both working in tandem to kill the Naga and heal Shandris.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
She really didn't do anything against the Naga. They made a big deal about her dressing in her armor and grabbing her bow and then she casts moonfire against a couple of Naga then Malfurion comes in and WTFPWNS them with his garbage op hurricane and nature spells.

It's not as though Tyrande necessarily needed his help, but she didn't get time to shine in her own short story. By Cataclysm, most of us were sick of Malfurion.
Edited by Mordstreich on 12/4/2012 7:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
Actually Malfurion summoned the hurricane which shattered most of the Naga forces and then Tyrande killed their leader. I still don't see how Mal 'saved' her either. And it wasn't just her story. It's also Malfurion's. He actually got less spotlight than her and Shandris.

Malfurion was also a main component in the story of Cataclysm. Tyrande wasn't. Velen and Lor'themar weren't even involved in the Cataclysm expansion either but you didn't see Blood Elves and Draenei moaning about being neglected.
Edited by Royceweiss on 12/4/2012 2:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I'm not sure who claims that Tyrande always needs Malfurion to save her, it's more like Malfurion tends to feel more like an important character than Tyrande does and that Tyrande can never really do anything unless Malfurion is involved.

The only unique moment has been "A Little Patience" and that's... well.

12/04/2012 02:13 PMPosted by Royceweiss
Velen and Lor'themar weren't even involved in the Cataclysm expansion either but you don't see Blood Elves and Draenei moaning about being neglected.

...you seem rather clueless.
Edited by Grimtale on 12/4/2012 2:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Monk
but you don't see Blood Elves and Draenei moaning about being neglected.

....Have you not been paying attention?
Reply Quote
42 Draenei Mage
12/04/2012 02:17 PMPosted by Grimtale
I'm not sure who claims that Tyrande always needs Malfurion to save her

Some of the weirder night elf players on this subforum (the ones who look for any possible way to make Tyrande look bad) complained about how she needed to be rescued by Malfurion 'in her own leader story'.
Reply Quote
I'm talking about during Cataclysm. Way to misunderstand my post.

What we need to understand is that not everything can possibly be addressed at once. The time will come where Blood Elves and Draenei will have their moment again. WoW is a very big game and world. There are a ton of races that haven't seen any lore for years but I don't think we have seen the last of the Burning Legion or Ethereals.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I think Tyrande should just get killed and Malfurion mourns her death and becomes permanent leader of the Night Elves.

Perfect Plan.
Reply Quote
100 Human Monk
I'm talking about during Cataclysm. Way to misunderstand my post.

What we need to understand is that not everything can possibly be addressed at once. The time will come where Blood Elves and Draenei will have their moment again. WoW is a very big game and world. There are a ton of races that haven't seen any lore for years but I don't think we have seen the last of the Burning Legion or Ethereals.

I agree.

Blood Elves and Draenei(though mostly Draenei) have been complaining about a lack of lore since WoTLK began.

People hated how the Draenei were pushed aside in Northrend questing. They also hated how the Blood Elf forward momentum in WoTLK was mostly backstory told to us in press interviews and other out-of-the-game nonsense.

Complaints about a lack of Blood Elf lore calmed down in Cataclysm because of the Reliquary and what not. They must have still been there though, since Blizzard says they feel the Blood Elves have been neglected lately.

Draenei though? Oh man. Sometimes they were worse than Night Elf players are(I'm exceptional!). I've heard everything from complaints about Nobundo not taking Thrall's place, to the complaint that Draenei Shaman were only stock NPCs in Cataclysm. I've always advocated that the Draenei would be at the forefront of the next Legion expansion, but players are impatient.

But the complaining has most certainly been there though.
Reply Quote
With that said. I think we should stop taking things out of context as well. All this complaining is only going to kill the game we love faster.
Reply Quote
100 Human Monk
Only if Blizzard is stupid enough to listen to these people and do something about it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
12/04/2012 02:37 PMPosted by Royceweiss
With that said. I think we should stop taking things out of context as well. All this complaining is only going to kill the game we love faster.

If we don't voice our concerns, the devs will take our silence as approval for their increasingly-poor storylines. Look at Cataclysm.

Also, fun fact. The Story was initially titled Tyrande Whisperwind: Seeds of Faith.

The title was changed a little while later to reflect the too large role neutral douche had.
Edited by Tessa on 12/4/2012 2:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
12/04/2012 02:40 PMPosted by Tessa

If we don't voice our concerns, the devs will take our silence as approval for their increasingly-poor storylines. Look at Cataclysm.

Also, fun fact. The Story was initially titled Tyrande Whisperwind: Seeds of Faith.

The title was changed a little while later to reflect the too large role neutral douche had.

If they're actually valid. Blizzard can't listen to everyone and shouldn't.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Malfurion was also a main component in the story of Cataclysm. Tyrande wasn't.

That's fine and dandy.

But it wasn't his short story. It was Tyrande's.

I know, I know, they want us to think of Malfurion and Tyrande as dual leaders, but most players do not consider it anything of the sort. I don't think I've heard anyone (especially not recently) claim that Tyrande needed to be saved by Malfurion, just that he took spotlight in something that otherwise shouldn't have involved him.

A lot of people will have different opinions on this matter, so there will be contention. Most Night elf players dislike Malfurion entirely, and would rather he not take prominence in that story whatsoever.

There's also the matter of Tyrande being largely irrelevant up until Cata and then she gets her own short story, only for Malfurion to hog it. We interact with Malfurion during Cata questing more than Tyrande. People didn't want more Malfurion, they wanted Tyrande - and it took them until MOP to get her out in the field again, with mixed results.
Edited by Mordstreich on 12/4/2012 2:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
42 Draenei Mage

The story titled "Tyrande and Malfurion" definitely isn't in any way Malfurion's story. Nope.
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 02:50 PMPosted by Mordstreich
Malfurion was also a main component in the story of Cataclysm. Tyrande wasn't.

That's fine and dandy.

I know, I know, they want us to think of Malfurion and Tyrande as dual leaders, but most players do not consider it anything of the sort. I don't think I've heard anyone (especially not recently) claim that Tyrande needed to be saved by Malfurion, just that he took spotlight in something that otherwise shouldn't have involved him.

A lot of people will have different opinions on this matter, so there will be contention. Most Night elf players dislike Malfurion entirely, and would rather he not take prominence in that story whatsoever.

There's also the matter of Tyrande being largely irrelevant up until Cata and then she gets her own short story, only for Malfurion to hog it. We interact with Malfurion during Cata questing more than Tyrande. People didn't want more Malfurion, they wanted Tyrande - and it took them until MOP to get her out in the field again, with mixed results.
WELL THEN. If we are going by that reasoning than the story should have been called "Shandris:" instead because three of the five pages of the story were solely dedicated to her.

And once again Malfurion didn't take the spotlight. He had about two or three paragraphs where he did anything besides lament with Tyrande about the situation.

I also don't see where the hate on Malfurion comes from. Hes played a prominent role in Night Elf lore since the beginning. Why suddenly hate him now?

Tyrande wasn't the only one who was irrelevant. Many of the faction leaders until recently have only sat in their throne rooms doing nothing outside of the Knaack and Goldenverse.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
12/04/2012 03:46 PMPosted by Royceweiss
I also don't see where the hate on Malfurion comes from. Hes played a prominent role in Night Elf lore since the beginning. Why suddenly hate him now?

The hate for Malfurion comes from the fact that he is sitting on his neutral high horse wanting to sit in a circle and sing Kumbaya while his people are being slaughtered and the forests cut down by the orcs. Blizzard has decided to make him co-leader with Tyrande while Tyrande does nothing but be made incompetent by Malfurion and everyone lese and Malfurion chills in Hyjal doing NOTHING! Or if you prefer he does nothing in Darnassus when Tyrande gets attacked by a horde raid.

Tyrande wasn't the only one who was irrelevant. Many of the faction leaders until recently have only sat in their throne rooms doing nothing outside of the Knaack and Goldenverse.

No character development is better than poor character development. Poor character development is regression of lore; at least the others' lore aren't going anywhere bad.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
12/04/2012 03:20 PMPosted by Mirari
The story titled "Tyrande and Malfurion" definitely isn't in any way Malfurion's story. Nope.

Shouldn't have even been Malfurion's. He's not the leader of the Night elf people. He likes to pretend he is, but he's Cenarion Circle.

WELL THEN. If we are going by that reasoning than the story should have been called "Shandris:" instead because three of the five pages of the story were solely dedicated to her.

Yes, even she came out of the story looking better than Tyrande, who didn't necessarily come out looking bad, but not that great either. The highlight of many reader's experience of that short story when it came out was Shandris.

Because he expects people to live up to impossibly high ideals and his callous nature leads his people to suffering. That is his character flaw. He's not a Night elf character, he is as Metzen would put it, a "world character".

And once again, I really have no idea what possessed you to bring this up when it hasn't been discussed in ages and people have given their reasoning of disliking how things turned out. No one in this thread, or in any memory I have has anyone on these forums said that Tyrande was saved by Malfurion like a damsel in distress. It was never portrayed that way. They dislike it because they didn't want to see more Malfurion, they wanted to see more Tyrande. Shandris looking pretty cool was the consolation prize to that effect.
Edited by Mordstreich on 12/4/2012 4:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
12/04/2012 02:50 PMPosted by Mordstreich
I know, I know, they want us to think of Malfurion and Tyrande as dual leaders

The fact is that after blizz removed druids from night elves and made them nuetral they should have just let malfurion be their leader and Tyrande as the rightful night elf leader.

Even since Mal came back he has shown not once single moment of interest in what's happening to his people, so the fact that he was made "co-leader" is too much for me to take.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
12/04/2012 04:01 PMPosted by Mordstreich
Shouldn't have even been Malfurion's. He's not the leader of the Night elf people. He likes to pretend he is, but he's Cenarion Circle.

Not to mention it was a changed title, it originally just had Tyrande's name.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]