Empowering the Horde Through Texting

90 Blood Elf Priest
My company is developing a text message application that allows for one person to communicate with hundreds of SMS users.

I'm tasked with testing this system, so to that end, I'll be putting together a PRIVATE list of players and their cell numbers so I can send people notifications for happenings in-game that they'd like to be made aware of. I will be the ONLY ONE who has access to this list and I have no intention of abusing it.

I plan to use it to inform people of four events, all of which they may opt in/out of at any time:

-World Boss runs (includes Sha, Galleon, Oondasta and Nalak)
-Server-only LFRs
-Darkmoon Rabbit
-The addition of new events (won't happen often, possibly ever)

If you'd like to be added to this list, please send an in-game mail to Destian with the following (DON'T POST YOUR CELL# HERE!!!):

-The name you'd like to be known as (usually the name of your main)
-Your cell #
-"World Boss" if you want alerts for world bosses
-"Darkmoon Rabbit" if you want alerts fro the DMR
-"LFR" if you want to be notified of server-only LFR groups forming

FAQ

Q: Why are you doing this?

A: Because I need to stress test this product and I can think of no better way to do so than giving AD's horde community a means to better coordinate.

Q: Who will see my cell number?

A: Me and me alone. There is NO ONE ELSE who will ever see your number. Any text spam you get was NOT from me.

Q: What kind of texts can I expect from you?

A: Things like "1st half of Mogushan LFR in 10 mins, whisper Destian for invite" or "Galleon up, whisper Destian for invite, expect to engage ASAP".

Q: How often will you text?

A: Likely no more than once per day, if even that.

Q: How often will you do server-only LFRs?

A: Not sure just yet. I'll be playing that one by ear as we'll see how the first one goes.

Q: I don't want to give you my cell #! How do I know you're not some creepy psycho?!

A: You don't, though I can assure you I'm not. It's entirely up to you as to whether or not you want to participate.

Q: Can I text you about happenings in game or...anything?

A: Sure, any time you want to text me, feel free. I can't guarantee I'll respond immediately, but the goal is to test this product and the best way to do that is to stress-test the bejeezus out of it.

Q: What happens if I want off the list and to never be texted again?

A: You can inform me of this via text and I will remove you and you should NEVER receive a text from me again (I won't even send a text confirming your removal unless you ask for one).

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or mail me about it in-game. :)
Edited by Destian on 3/16/2013 9:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
I'm in.

LOL nice transmog, Des.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/04/2012 09:55 PMPosted by Bimini
I'm in.

Awesome.

I've collected a few contacts so far and I'll probably be sending out an invite for a sha run sometime midday tomorrow.

LOL nice transmog, Des.

If it made you laugh, it did its job. :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Sigh...

So the DAY I intend to take this thing on its maiden voyage, our programmers rolled in an update that exploded the database.

They say they can have it fixed but not until tonight (they're part time so they work at night, usually).

Looks like that broadcast for a sha group won't go out until tomorrow at best. :\
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
So far, so good.

Been able to inform a few people about sha runs and LFRs through texting so it's doing it's job.

I think I'm going to step it up a notch with pet trade broadcasts next...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Transmog reminds me of freddie magic nice job, LOL.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Hey, Des, this is Bimini again, using the toon I actually play...

I've been enjoying the service so far, except I'm always at work when the call for groups go out. I'd be interested in getting texts more often to increase my chances of being home when I receive one.

Thanks for your involvement with the community!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Bump for enjoying the service!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
12/10/2012 11:58 PMPosted by Aleaa
Transmog reminds me of freddie magic nice job, LOL.

Glad you like it! :D

Hey, Des, this is Bimini again, using the toon I actually play...

I've been enjoying the service so far, except I'm always at work when the call for groups go out. I'd be interested in getting texts more often to increase my chances of being home when I receive one.

Thanks for your involvement with the community!

I'm trying not to fire off texts any later than 8 PM EST just because I'm not sure when people will be heading to bed and I don't want to wake them. What time is the cutoff point for you?

Also, to update the thread, just moved to a new revision of the software and I've moved all of my text contacts over so I should be sending out more invites, time permitting. :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Thanks to the folks on my list who came to help kill the Darkmoon rabbit today! :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'm adding the darkmoon rabbit to my list of events.

If you'd like to sign up for DMR alerts, send me an in-game mail and I'll add you to my list.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'm going to be consolidating all world bosses into one list for convenience sake.

This includes Oondasta (who we killed last night, woot!) and Nalak when we unlock him.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Sorry if I've not been sending many announcements as of late.

We've been busy and we're kickstarting it:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/783855391/ameritext-effortless-realtime-business-communicati

There's a video of the interface in action if anyone is curious what it looks like. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]