Poor performance on Mac Pro

86 Blood Elf Paladin
I have had this problem for over half a year now, and it's still persistent. I am unable to get over 30fps on graphical settings over Fair quality. I currently have it set to Fair quality, with a few tweaks here and there to other graphical settings but even so I still get occasional hangups/popins graphically. I have tried pretty much everything I can think of to fix this issue, such as re-downloading patches, re-doing the wtf folder, reset sram, etc. Recently I copied my WoW folder onto an external drive and put it on a new iMac (with no upgrades/out of the box essentially) and the game ran smoother on it!

I have my WoW folder running on the boot drive, a 2-month old 240gb Mercury Electra 6G solid state drive. With WoW running (64-bit if that matters), it is using 53% CPU, 5.5% user, 1% system, and 94% of CPU idle.

System Specs:
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3.33 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Memory: 12 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 6.4 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MP51.007F.B01
SMC Version (system): 1.39f11
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11

ATI Radeon HD 5870:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5870
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6898
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0780C-194
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.436
Displays:
LED Cinema Display:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Display Serial Number: XXXXXXXXX
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Connection Type: DisplayPort

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.2
Boot Volume: SSD Boot Disk
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 2 days 9:15
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
That machine should be way higher. something is differently wrong.

do you use sleep mode on that machine instead of shutting it down? like all macs on 10.7 or higher. sleep will tank performance.

I have an even older mac pro that sees 60fps on good settings pretty much everywhere except for highly crowded areas and raids. Then fps drop down to teens. But that's expected with a 2008 cpu and wows old cpu code. Your cpu is 2010 though and should do better then that in those situations. so maybe that's where you see 30fps? if so that's probably about right actually.

but anywhere else you should be rock solid 60fps at probably high or even ultra.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
If I'm out in the middle of nowhere, I can get about 35 or so fps on High, fluctuating by 5 or so. Even in 10 man raids, on fair settings, I'll still get hiccups and not a constant 60fps (which is max threshold I have it set at).

I have tried all of the suggestions, without addons on,
Reset UI
Repair World of Warcraft
Reset System Management Controller (SMC)
Delete Data/Cache Folder
Repair Disk Permissions and Repair Disk
Reinstall Drivers (Combo Update)
Perform an Apple Hardware Test

I'm honestly starting to thing that it may be a hardware/compatibility issue with the game itself. However, I have indeed noticed that even on Fair settings my PCIe slot would heat up to 80-85 degrees C, so I had to install a program (SMC Fan Control) to manually crank up the min fan speed so my card wouldn't die from overheating... the fan runs at a constant 2000rpm, with avg temp around 75 C (compared to about 55 C when WoW isn't running).
Edited by Guro on 11/27/2012 2:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
I'm having the same issues on a MacPro (NOT the MacBOOKPro since people seem to think we're always talking about the laptop) and I've gone from 106fps to 11fps from 5.0.x to 5.1.

Running an PC ATI 6870 on 10.8.2 @ 2560x1600 with addons turned off (off/on, doesn't make a difference). I'll try installing Windows 7 via bootcamp and play that way for now but so far the framerate is crap.

Not sure how to provide a dump or any logs for bliz to take a look at?
Reply Quote
47 Human Warlock
Omegal, can you give me an idea of your settings? i have a late 2008 MBP running 10.6.8. I have all settings on low for WOW, I can' get above 33 FPS and in Pandaria it drops to 22 FPS. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
Lockstar, we are on Mac pros, not macbook pros. i have a 2008 mac pro which is getting much better performance than their 2009 and 2010 mac pros for some reason. which is how i know something is just wrong on their end. especially considering using same gpu even as OP.

I'm on 10.8.2 now but i never had probelm on 10.7.5 either. in fact. 10.7.5 should be ahead of 10.8.2 for the mac pro since 10.8 had opengl regressions and no improvement to ati 5000 series drivers to counter it (unlike the 2012 macs which benefit highly from 10.8.2 despite the opengl regressions).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]