Get the Desktop App for Battle.net Now
- All your games in 1 place
- Log in once
- Automatic game updates
It would make absolutely zero difference to the game.
Unless, of course, you are talking about PvP.
There's this thing called "state of balance".
90% of our effective damage (assuming you're talking frost PvP) comes in a Deep.
You can have our Deep if we get a 300% base damage increase on pretty much every other damaging spell we have, on top of a boost to Mastery.
That's how much we depend on it.
After BC there were so few Mages playing that I was actually recruited to play wow for my original guild as their Mage.
Mages weren't super awesome before Deepfreeze, otherwise I wouldn't have ever been recruited to play this game.
And ten thousand other relevant variables have changed since then, so comparing TBC-era mages in the TBC-era game to now and ignoring everything except Deep Freeze is silly.
Any mage saying useless is downright retarded.
Mages had Deep Freeze in Wrath. It was the frost 51pt talent...
In the time before mages had Deep Freeze:
- Every healer couldn't dispel magic.
- Every healer didn't have instant heals.
- More than half the classes didn't have a means of removing our roots outside of a racial or PvP trinket.
- Roots and Fears weren't nearly as fragile as they are today (back then roots could actually take a few dot ticks or white hits from another player, or even a hit or two from our own water elemental without breaking).
- Damage dealt outside of the frozen state wasn't nearly as weak as it is now (go on an regale us with the tremendous damage that you take from our frostbolts and ice lances when you're not in the frozen state. We'd love to hear it...)
- The amount of gap closers, silences, and school lockouts for melee and every other class has increased. We actually lost roots coming into Mists.
If the game was static from BC to now, with the only change being that mages got deep freeze, then you'd be right. We couldn't claim that we needed deep freeze. However, it's not the same game as it was back in BC. We do laughable damage outside of a freeze and our other options won't hold under any amount of damage. While we might not be "paraplegic trying to play badminton" level of useless, we would hardly be "fine".
Edited by Inien on 11/30/2012 7:13 AM PST
When deep freeze wasn't in the game, only druids had instacast heals. Pallys had to juke continuously to avoid getting locked out (and dying). Basically, insta-cast heals happened, so we now need an additional stun to kill anything.
Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.
Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.
Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.