NE or Human DK: Most compelling?

Which do you think has the most compelling set up?

Humans of course have the whole history of the wars and DK creation, as well as the relation to Arthas. There's also that contrast of belonging to Stormwind, with it's bright colours and light-loving loonies.

But then you also have Night Elves, who are nocturnal(of the night), and often themed around balance and nature(which is 'life' magic of sorts, and in direct conflict with what an undead Death Knight is).

Night Elves are a bit alienated when it comes to familiarity with Death Knight lore, but hey, so are most playable races.

Death Knights, at least in my eyes, are essentially Warcraft's playable version of vampires. Being undead, they "live" forever. The lore gave them the "issue" that they become wracked with pain if they don't cause pain to others(which is similar to the theme of feeding). They use blood magic to heal themselves. And most importantly, the primary theme of Death Knights, Arthas and the Scourge is domination: they control the Undead and make them fight for them. That is also the central theme in most vampire stories. Or at least a major one.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I'd personally say Human because it has a lot more Lore back by it. We also have Thassarian as our coolest example. :P

I must admit that I don't blame you in being conflicted on this matter. I played Night Elf DK once and it was quite fun trying to build a distinct storyline to make him fit in the world and he looked really good in the dark armor and what not. I'd say any race that CAN be a Death Knight are plausible, and Night Elves definitely fit into that since they've fought the Scourge and have assisted the Argent Dawn before Wrath rolled around.

So in that light it's a matter of how much you like humans weighed by how much you like Night Elves. Both are pretty much a favorite of mine but I preferred humans more for a Death Knight, so that's what I've stuck with.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Death Knight
Req
Kind of depends on what kind of character you're making but if you're asking about which one would be more Scourge like then I'd have to say Humans. They're the main recipients for necromancy and therefore should be able to contribute to the Scourge than that of any other race, aside from maybe Forsaken.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Warlock
A night elf death knight is an abomination in the eyes of their society. You'd have to have a compelling reason as to why your prospective death knight didn't simply end themselves once they regained their free will, given they'd be ostracised from Kaldorei society.

I would also avoid bandying the term 'vampire' about too much. There aren't vampires in WoW. Granted, some of the abilities of a death knight may be similar to what the oft-romantacised vampires can do, but a death knight is a emotionally blunted killing machine.
Edited by Seyl on 12/4/2012 4:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Every character can be compelling, regardless of race chosen.
Reply Quote
36 Undead Priest
12/04/2012 04:42 PMPosted by Volkuza
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 04:17 PMPosted by Vynathlon
Kind of depends on what kind of character you're making but if you're asking about which one would be more Scourge like then I'd have to say Humans. They're the main recipients for necromancy and therefore should be able to contribute to the Scourge than that of any other race, aside from maybe Forsaken.

Eh, I'd say any race is scourge-like really. As Kel'thuzad put it, the Scourge has no culture. It just takes culture from other races out of sheer pragmatism. Nerubian buildings, Vrykul war games, etc.

12/04/2012 04:28 PMPosted by Seyl
A night elf death knight is an abomination in the eyes of their society. You'd have to have a compelling reason as to why your prospective death knight didn't simply end themselves once they regained their free will, given they'd be ostracised from Kaldorei society.

Forsaken are the only race in the game where a Death Knight isn't an abomination, really.

I suppose the Death Knight's general reason for going on would be...a desire to achieve immortality again. Like the Forsaken, they simply don't want to stop existing. They fear what will happen afterwards.

12/04/2012 04:28 PMPosted by Seyl
I would also avoid bandying the term 'vampire' about too much. There aren't vampires in WoW. Granted, some of the abilities of a death knight may be similar to what the oft-romantacised vampires can do, but a death knight is a emotionally blunted killing machine.

Well, the Dreadlords were pretty much designed to be Warcraft's take on vampires. Even to the point where they wore the guise of men and used mind control to dominate people.

But they wouldn't have made sense as part of the scourge in WoTLK. So they were replaced with the San'layn. But all San'layn are are Undead Blood Elves who, like the Dreadlords, feast on souls.

And at the same time, Death Knights were made as the "Scourge" class. So they have themes from many different areas....even Scarab Lords. But the over-arching theme of the Scourge is and always has been about domination. Forced servitude. That's core to the theme of vampirism.

12/04/2012 04:42 PMPosted by Volkuza

Of course, Admiral Evil Bob Marley. Except, wondering about these particular racial themes alone gets downright boring!
Edited by Draile on 12/4/2012 8:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Death Knight
Req
12/04/2012 08:40 PMPosted by Draile
Eh, I'd say any race is scourge-like really. As Kel'thuzad put it, the Scourge has no culture. It just takes culture from other races out of sheer pragmatism. Nerubian buildings, Vrykul war games, etc.
This is true, however humans have a bit more use since Scourge lore say that humans are a lot more malleable than other races. This is also confirmed with the Val'kyr's ability to only raise humans from the grave rather than other creatures. So humans are slightly more useful than other races, just means that they're able to better contribute to the Scourge than say a Night Elf could. Also based on the fact that human's body parts are better communicable with necromancy, you could infer that human death knight powers are stronger than other races' death knights.
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 12:09 AMPosted by Vynathlon
This is true, however humans have a bit more use since Scourge lore say that humans are a lot more malleable than other races. This is also confirmed with the Val'kyr's ability to only raise humans from the grave rather than other creatures. So humans are slightly more useful than other races, just means that they're able to better contribute to the Scourge than say a Night Elf could. Also based on the fact that human's body parts are better communicable with necromancy, you could infer that human death knight powers are stronger than other races' death knights.

I'm sorry, but it feels like there's a lot of reaching with that logic.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Death Knight
Req
12/05/2012 05:49 AMPosted by Draile

I'm sorry, but it feels like there's a lot of reaching with that logic.
Can you elaborate?
Reply Quote
As far as anyone can tell, the idea that Val'kyr can only raise humans is just a plot device Blizzard used to keep Undeath from spreading. They don't want other races of the Horde to simply become Forsaken, after all.

And if anything, the real justification for it is probably because the Val'kyr were made to raise Vrykul, and humans by extension are very similar(where as Worgen, Elves, etc. are not).

Are humans more useful to the Forsaken, then? Absolutely. But I'm not Horde, so it's irrelevant.

Are humans more useful to the scourge? No, because Death Knights in particular are not average Scourge. They're raised with a specific ritual. Better than your average eater of plagued grain.

It could have just as well been the Night Elves that were victim to Ner'zhul's plan. But instead he just chose the race that was more populace that he already hated.

Humans aren't any more special, then. Necromancy is the same to them as it is to other races. Humans just happened to be the second race Ner'zhul targeted.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]