The Draenei Language

90 Draenei Death Knight
Khronokai khrystor.

If you've ever rp'd a draenei (or multiple) for a long time like I have, you probably know that there isn't a lot of material. What you get is beautiful - they have such interesting backgrounds - but the lack of material leaves a lot of open gaps. If you're in here, you're interested in learning a bit more, maybe.

We have been away from Argus for 25,000 years. It's unclear when we landed on Draenor in Oshu'gun, and for how long we lived on Draenor before most of us left on the Exodar for Light-knows-where, now known as Azeroth.

And our language sounds like demon-speak, and it's very hard to use in rp without having another draenei present. Evidence exists of a more beautiful language in the greetings of the npcs, but it is very poorly expanded on, if at all.

That's why I created this language. It's a mix between usual draenei phonetics AND actual greek language, the idea of which I credit to Farseer Aurhia of The Venture Co. She had some of my original ideas (Argus and Argos, anyone?) and really set the ball rolling. I took the idea and ran with it. Now, I have a language to share that you can pepper your roleplaying with in any way you please.

CLASSES:

Akata'eros/eras - Male/female rogue.

Apsid'eros/eras - Male/female Death Knight (actually means 'animated').

Epolto'eros/eras - Male/female paladin. Also Eiatro, Eiostra. Epolto means vindicator, Eiatro means mender, and Eiostra means protector. Draenei have a large focus around paladins.

Kalon'eros/eras - Male/female warlock.

Kyni'eros/eras - Male/female hunter.

Paraxen'eros/eras - Male/female magic user (mage). Colloquially, a 'paraxen' is a magic user with good intent, and a 'kalon' is a magic user with evil intent. A warlock could be a paraxen, and a mage could be a kalon.

Polemi'eros/eras - Male/female warrior.

Peithra'eros/eras - Male/female monk.

Opado/Ieila - Priest/priestess. Draenei have their own titles for priests - this translates to 'anchorite' in common.

Zomeno'eros/eras - Finally, shaman. Zomeno means 'user', used in a derogatory manner like the english 'tool'. The correct, honorable title for shaman would be a paraxen or polemi, given their specialization.

PEOPLE: There is no actual organization here except for on race. Sorry for confusion.

Vrachei – The humans (ambitious ones).

Dastrei - The dwarves (shaggy ones).

Draenei – The exiled ones (seriously?).

Kotikei – Elves (general use). Kaldorei, night elves. Queldorei, high elves. And so on…

Mikrei – Gnomes (short ones).

Evkanei – Worgen (wild ones).

I would like to note that there is no word for ‘pandaren’. It is simply ‘Pandaren’.

(Continued)
Edited by Eidthi on 11/23/2012 3:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
TITLES:

Eidthi – A very ugly thing or person.

Ekliein, Ekliedos – My desire, your desire.

Epolani – A foolish person or thing. Also, a foolish notion. (Let’s charge head first into that crowd of angry monsters! Epolani!)

Soran – savior, hero, favored friend, and very rarely, lover.

Talaein, Talaedos – My trouble, your trouble.

Thuma’resa – Pleasing to the heart.

Thumein, Thumedos – My pleasure, your pleasure.

VERBS:

Verbs are special in the draenei language in the way that they never change – only the suffix changes at all. The base form of all verbs is A’<verb>, such as A’chako, which means ‘To drink’. Apostrophes are incredibly important in draenei language. The suffixes for the rest of the prounouns follow:

Ein – I.

Edos – you.

Eros/eras – He/she.

Kiel – It.

Atos – you (plural).

Ietos – we (Ay-tohs).

And now, the actual verbs themselves:

A’chako – To drink.

A’chano – To lose.

A’deit – To see.

A’dota – To give.

A’echoun – To have.

A’eidthi – To disgust, or be disgusted. Eidthi is simply a disgusting thing.

A’katavro – To eat, consume, or gobble up. Deathwing nearly katavro’d the whole world.

A’ketevo – To beg (for mercy, perhaps? Ketevo’ein feta keleos - I beg for mercy).

A’kiel – To do. When saying ‘it does’, this verb does not change. It automatically implies ‘it’ (A’kiel ochtethi – it does nothing).

A’mili – To talk, to say, to chat.

A’tala – To trouble.

A’thuma – To please.

CURSES:

Haha, wait. You actually thought I’d put this on the forums?

Nope. But if you really want them, whisper Eidthi or Jovor on Wyrmrest Accord, and I will give them to you.

GREETINGS: Again, no real organization here.

Antiana – Goodbye.

Antiana kalo korah – Goodbye, dear friend. (Do /bye enough on your female draenei and you’ll hear this)

Arkinon Poros – Greeting, usually goodbye. It means ‘May the journey be enough’.

Khronokai Khrystor – ‘Eternal glory’. Usually a hello.

Jeso – Hello.

Onamah’ein tos… - My name is… (Onamah’ein tos Eidthi – my name is Eidthi.)

Thumaein – My pleasure (See above. This is for conversational purposes, such as ‘A pleasure to meet you’).

Te kreinite? – How do you do?

Polos edos? – Who are you?

Ein te neomeno – I am sorry.

Tiel ochtethi – It is nothing. (In response)

Echada – Thank you.

Thuma – Please.

Kalason’edos – You are welcome.

OTHER THINGS AND USEFUL PHRASES: For your enjoyment.

Katethi – Everything, all things

Ochtethi - Nothing

Keleos – Mercy

Eitote – Always

Ocheitote – Never

Ai – Yes

Och – No

Ati – something, anything

Efto – this

Efta – that

Omos – Alike, like

Diateomos – Unlike, different

Kaso – Good

Kelo – Bad

Te kano ekto’edos! – I will kill you!

Tor a’kiel – I will do it

Tor oche – It is not (a) (For use with adjectives or nouns)

Tor nai – It is (a)

Tor nai mili’edos – It is as you say (Often used by Eidthi herself.)

Jevamo, Epolmono, Konona – Respect, Tenacity, Compassion.. The three virtues of the Light, something every draenei should know.

And finally, my disclaimer. I created this language for fun. Any offense you might take to it, or disagreements you have, are not my intention and are purely coincidental. I apologize in advance. In addition, you are free to use this in your rp. But please give me credit if you are going to post it somewhere else. Thanks, and have fun with your draenei!
Edited by Eidthi on 11/23/2012 4:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Done posting. That's all I have for now.
Reply Quote
22 Undead Warlock
I think "draenei" actually, canonically and everything, means "redeemed", so yeah, just putting that out there.
Edited by Srdotsalot on 11/23/2012 4:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
11/23/2012 04:16 PMPosted by Srdotsalot
I think "draenei" actually, canonically and everything, means "redeemed", so yeah, just putting that out there.

Noted. I borrowed the definition of the word from the WoWwiki page of Draenei Language, which is just speculation itself. Where was this source?
Reply Quote
70 Human Paladin
11/23/2012 04:16 PMPosted by Srdotsalot
Kurenai means redeemed in canon. Draenei means exiled ones.
Reply Quote
22 Undead Warlock
Ooooooh. Yeah okay that sounds right thanks.
Reply Quote
60 Draenei Shaman
Or you could just get the add on called, "Tongues" from curse and have it all done for you...
Reply Quote
Wouldn't Tongues use the in-game system for Draenei since it's an in-game language Nakilla?

Edit: I don't know how tongues works, I don't in-game RP very often. But from what I can see the intention of this thread is to provide an alternative language that the OP has mixed with latin. She thinks Draenei as it is shown by the in-game language system is crude and somewhat demonic, whereas the NPCs alude to a smoother more beautiful language.

This is an effort to create a language that sounds beautiful and also Draenic that people can use.
Edited by Meep on 11/23/2012 5:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
60 Draenei Shaman
(shrugs) That maybe so, but I am too lazy to memorize or try to write down newer words and phrases. I just think it is easier to use the add on. Besides, the only ones who will know it are others who have done the memorizing. The add on works fine for those who wish to speak a language only other draenei speak.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
11/23/2012 05:01 PMPosted by Nakilla
Or you could just get the add on called, "Tongues" from curse and have it all done for you...

You're missing the point of my post.

You 'could' use Tongues, but all you would get is a pre-set choice of words (that are disturbingly close to demonic) that tend to overlap. Blue, dogs, hate, food - they're all four lettered words. Using the in-game translation to draenei, they could all very well end up the same word. I am trying to avoid this - it makes it incredibly confusing when you want to use the language outside of back-and-forth communication between two draenei who can understand it.

11/23/2012 05:51 PMPosted by Nakilla
(shrugs) That maybe so, but I am too lazy to memorize or try to write down newer words and phrases. I just think it is easier to use the add on. Besides, the only ones who will know it are others who have done the memorizing. The add on works fine for those who wish to speak a language only other draenei speak.

Then I suppose this thread is not for you. Why did you post?
Edited by Eidthi on 11/23/2012 5:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
I'm so happy to see someone else thinking about this. My (former) guild <Heart of the Naaru> is Draenei-heavy, based around the Naaru and the prophecy of the Army of the Light, so we (well, me, really) made up a couple of our rank names. I thought I'd toss them in here and see what you make of them and how they'd fit in or if they should be changed. I'd love to see a real draenei conlang grow up through usage.

• Hacked or inactive rank - Man'ari (it was Kro'kul for a while, but I thought it was a little racist to put the Broken beneath the other Draenei)
  • Basic member - Tar'ei "Born one(s)"
  • Full member - Ei'sha "One(s) of Light"
  • Officer - Kehla'ni "Seeker". I borrowed "Kehla" from the incantation to reveal Telmor and then tacked on a suffix.
  • GM - Ata'mala ("Of the Ata'mal [crystals]")
Edited by Alniyat on 2/9/2013 1:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I too wish blizzard would give us a bit more Draenei lore. If I remember right, they came to Draenor roughly 1000 years before the opening of the dark portal, and were in hiding 20-30ish years, though I may be mistaken. Need to reread Rise of the Horde.

And after playing Skyrim, I feel kind of saddened that Blizz hasn't, after all this time, created a more stable language system for the different races. Cuz hell, I had a friend who could actually speak Elder Scrolls Draconic quite well.

For now though, I just get to picture my Draenei speaking with that lovely accent.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
11/23/2012 05:52 PMPosted by Eidthi
s (that are disturbingly close to demonic)

you realize that is the point right? The Draenei and demonic language are both sub-dialects of the Eredun language. (Though the demonic dialect is sometimes called Eredun just like Man'ari Eredar are sometimes just called Eredar.)

There is the main Eredun language that was used on Argus (and is now used by the legion) and the Draenei dialect to it which probably has some minor added/changed words to it that were picked up on say dreanor but other than that the two languages are still nearly identical.

To sum it up there is Eredun (probably Velen + Draenei from Argus still probably speak it ), Demonic Eredun, pretty much the same as normal Eredun just with added words and slightly altered meanings to things and the Draenei language which is also the same and just liek demonic eredun has added words and words with changed meanings.

So by making your fictional words sound very un-eredun your are butchering the true language more or less.

To see what might be some other good translations check out the page for Eredun.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Eredun
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
you realize that is the point right? The Draenei and demonic language are both sub-dialects of the Eredun language. (Though the demonic dialect is sometimes called Eredun just like Man'ari Eredar are sometimes just called Eredar.) There is the main Eredun language that was used on Argus (and is now used by the legion) and the Draenei dialect to it which probably has some minor added/changed words to it that were picked up on say dreanor but other than that the two languages are still nearly identical. To sum it up there is Eredun (probably Velen + Draenei from Argus still probably speak it ), Demonic Eredun, pretty much the same as normal Eredun just with added words and slightly altered meanings to things and the Draenei language which is also the same and just liek demonic eredun has added words and words with changed meanings. So by making your fictional words sound very un-eredun your are butchering the true language more or less.To see what might be some other good translations check out the page for Eredun.

Eidthi here.

Yes, I realize this is the point. Demonic, Eredun, and Draenei are all similar.

However, the Draenei language was created as a dialect to MOVE AWAY from the demonic language. Man'ari, which meant (and likely still means) something in demonic, now means 'disgusting' in the draenei tongue. But, just like 'disgusting' and 'gross' and 'repulsive' in the english language, there are many different words in my substituted draenei language as well.

Thank you for the post, however. It was very constructive, and I appreciated the addition of a point I had not fully considered at length.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
12/10/2012 03:52 AMPosted by Tsukihime
Cuz hell, I had a friend who could actually speak Elder Scrolls Draconic quite well.

Oh man, that's nerdy!

/knows the entirety of the Skorim theme song

Mostly, I feel that the language systems in place are to create believable 'barriers' between races that aren't draenei if speaking draenish, and dwarvish if not a dwarf, and etc etc.

It's easy to believe at a glance, but if you try to glean meanings, you simply can't. It's randomly generated substitutes for words that match in letter count only.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
I'm so happy to see someone else thinking about this. My guild is Draenei-heavy, based around the Naaru and the prophecy of the Army of the Light, so we (well, me, really) made up a couple of our rank names. I thought I'd toss them in here and see what you make of them and how they'd fit in or if they should be changed. I'd love to see a real draenei conlang grow up through usage.

• Hacked or inactive rank - Man'ari (it was Kro'kul for a while, but I thought it was a little racist to put the Broken beneath the other Draenei)
  • Basic member - Tar'ei "Born one(s)"
  • Full member - Ei'sha "One(s) of Light"
  • Officer - Kehla'ni "Seeker". I borrowed "Kehla" from the incantation to reveal Telmor and then tacked on a suffix.
  • GM - Ata'mala ("Of the Ata'mal [crystals]")

Man'ari is actually a word, so I would have no qualm with that. It means 'disgusting', or likely someone of very low status, yes. I'm no actual authority, either, so I love to hear other's inputs to my 'substitutes', I've grown to calling them.

Tar'ei, or Tarei, is actually a very nice word and I don't have 'born ones' on my list. May I add it?

Ei'sha, or Eisha, reminds me of the female word for priest, or "Ieila". Perhaps the plural of Ei'sha is Eishei. This brings a whole new perspective.. is referring to one 'Draenei' as 'Drae'sha' correct? It sounds very likely.

Is there a link to said incantation, or a location where I can find it? I'd love seeing that.

And lastly, Ata'mala seems a very powerful title to give someone. I don't see it so much as being a guild leader as an actual racial leader. However.. considering things, and out of the stark Draenei respect, it could simply be out of memory that the name 'Ata'mala' is chosen for the leaders. Just as you can be 'president' of a company without being 'president' of the nation.
Reply Quote
33 Human Paladin
Love it! Ingenius idea, great use of pheonetics!
Reply Quote
It's on the Wowpedia page for the draenei language, at the bottom of the "Untranslated Words and Phrases" section. It reads:

Kehla men samir, solay lamaa kahl - An incantation used to deactivate the invisibility spell that used to protect Telmor from invaders. Uttered by Restalaan in the novel Rise of the Horde, then by Durotan to allow the orcish forces to destroy the town.

In my completely private headcanon, I pretended that it meant something like "Those who seek [refuge/shelter/things hidden], let it be found here" - with 'kehla' meaning 'those who seek' or 'seekers', and 'kahl' - purely due to morphological similarity to 'kehla' - meaning 'the object of search' or 'that which is found. No idea what 'samir' should mean, which is why the bit of the translation that corresponds to it is in brackets.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
12/10/2012 12:04 PMPosted by Drewan
So by making your fictional words sound very un-eredun your are butchering the true language more or less.

After heavily considering this part of your reply, Drewan, I have come up with a few similarities of the Eredun language that I have tried to work into my custom one. Most of these are similar -sounding-, and I have tried to follow along with the audio convention.

From the WoWpedia page that you linked:

Shaza-kiel! = Surrender your soul! sounds like... Tor a'kiel, which is 'I will do it.'

Kirel narak! - Yelled by Kazzak after killing a player, sounds like.. Tiel ochtethi, which means 'it is nothing'. Kirel and Tiel may actually be very similar, and may both mean 'It is' in a sense. WoWpedia doesn't offer a translation, but using my substitute language as a lens, I would guess that it means 'It is over!'
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]