Enhancement Shaman or Lock

80 Orc Death Knight
Having a hard time choosing on which to level and make my main.

I like to PvE with some casual PvP here and there, nothing major.

I have decked out heirlooms for both classes.

And also I was wondering if I should choose a profession in the beginning or wait until 90 so it won't slow down my leveling (since it's hard to keep profession and levels at the same pace)?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Take my opinion with a grain of salt (as you should with anyone's personal opinion.

I play Destro in RBGs, but only at a 1700 rating, so not high enough to make solid judgements
I love enhancement, but have always convinced myself not to bother as its poor state in PvP would only frustrate me and let down my team

As of 5.1, despite Enh indirect nerfs (PvP power no longer affecting Enh self heals, no totems while silenced, and no Elemental Totems/Bloodlust in RBGs), I'll be gearing my Enh for some RBG action, as I find them more enjoyable than my 'lock, but this is still a players personal choice over which one you find more enjoyable.

In PvE, both are doing quite well from what I hear, though I lack the anecdotal evidence most forumers will provide you with. Check World of Logs to see if the numbers Enh/Lock are putting out at the moment interest you. Then again, class choice hardly matters outside of serious progression raiding.

It's hard to just tell you to choose X, as they are drastically different playstyles, one being a full caster with pet management, meta form management and dot management, and the other being a caster melee hybrid with much more going on in it's priority system than 'Keep A up, Keep B up, spam C until you get to D, then cast E until 0, then spam C again"

On the profession front, its much easier to level gathering professions as you level, but much easier to level crafting professions at 90.

If none of this made sense at all, I apologize, it's 3 am.
Reply Quote
88 Gnome Warlock
I love Enh and Demo. If you are really into PVP I recommend Lock. I only play Afflic and Demo, not because Demo is FoTm, but because there is finally utillity, great dps, survivability. Locks have great PVP tools for offense and defense. I think Enh is the most fun melee class in the game, but I feel more vulnerable playing PVP with my Enh Shammy. There is good burst PVP and I have seen videos showing people !!#@**@! with Enh Shammys, but for the casual player I find Enh definitely more difficult to master in PVP. Honestly though my main is a arms warrior and I am pretty good at pvp with him, and I have been raped in world pvp by a enh shammy and a demo lock. So I think you should base your decision on do you feel like being a melee or caster class. I think everyone would agree PVP is definitely for casters at the moment. (I also play Demo because I get sick of always popping totems lol.)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
i recommend enh since it's less played.
Reply Quote
22 Gnome Warrior
Based strictly on performance, Demo Locks are way ahead of Enh Shaman in both PvE and PvP.

However, playing a spec you actually enjoy is a big plus. Enh shaman does fine in PvE. I think the recent changes in PvP in order to nerf Resto Shaman are going to make Enh even more difficult to play.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Locks are usually in a better spot in pve/pvp then both dps shaman specs so i'd recommend lock unless you want to play a hybrid to its fullest ability instead of just enhance.
Reply Quote
88 Gnome Warlock
Yeah if you are going for stats then Lock is where it's at.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Having a hard time choosing on which to level and make my main.

I like to PvE with some casual PvP here and there, nothing major.

I have decked out heirlooms for both classes.

And also I was wondering if I should choose a profession in the beginning or wait until 90 so it won't slow down my leveling (since it's hard to keep profession and levels at the same pace)?

Wow, you want to choose between...shaman and warlock?

Thats like choosing between a punch in the teeth and a kick in the gut. Both classes are historically neglected by Blizzard and the Warlock dev (the only reason we got *any* nice new toys for MOP) has just been sacked.

But if you really want one of these, I'd say Shaman since you will have the option to heal.

Or you could go mage or druid and be much, much happier overall.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Both are fun but warlocks are easily one of the safest bets for anything in this game.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Lock for pvp
Enhance for PVE.

(My alt is a lock)
Reply Quote
80 Orc Death Knight
Thanks for all the replies. I went with Lock...

I have a level 35 Demo Lock. Is Demo still the way to go for leveling or should I respec at Aff at a certain level?

Another question. Does Tailoring net a lot of money?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
my main alt is an enhance shaman. Despite the indirect nerfs, their burst and survivability in pvp is still very impressive. Because it is an underplayed class, i feel that a lot of the guidance you'll find online is bad gouge. For instance, most guides will say use "echo of elements" for your level 60 talent choice but the fundamental problem with this choice is that it doesn't give you an actual percentage base for often it will proc. In theory it could happen constantly and all of a sudden you are on a winning streak but it could also never proc, thus nerfing your damage output. i use "elemental mastery" and macro it to my feral spirits. If you are also using the glyph of ghost wolf and macro those two skills to "ancestral guidance, your enhance shaman becomes an unkillable juggernaut for 20 seconds every 2 minutes with the kind of burst that can kill a holy paladin in 3 seconds. throw in your fire elemental prior to your macro and you have your own version of the Hunter Zoo that leaves the other team going "WHY WONT THIS SHAMI DIE" or "WTF IM DEAD?"
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
The answer for DPS is always mage.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Mogu%27shan_Vaults/dps/

http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Heart_of_Fear/dps/

http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Terrace_of_Endless_Spring/dps/

Always.
Mage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]