Where should my Night Elf come from?

16 Night Elf Druid
I want to get into role playing, and I also wanted to try out the Alliance (all of my toons are Horde right now), so I thought I would roll a night elf. I think I've got a good personality and stuff worked out, and a sort of short backstory, but I can't figure out where I should come from. You have to be 400 years old or something to be an adult, right? So what cities were there? Should I just come from some forest?

Sorry if this is a bad place to ask.

EDIT: Also, would it be a cliche to say that I just woke up from the dream? Say I missed everything since right after the third war?
Edited by Pantheres on 11/27/2012 9:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
89 Night Elf Warrior
Female Night Elf Druids for the most part didn't exist until -after- the Third War. So it would be... not cliche, just strange and somewhat eyebrow raising to say that you'd just woken up.

You could say you were from a small settlement in Ashenvale that was fairly off the beaten path and haven't been involved in what's going on in the world at large.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Well maturation of Night Elves was never something I knew much about so Age may well be irrelevant. If you are pre-3rd war you may very well hail from Aszharra(Spelling?) Ashenvale, Feralas, the Slopes of Hyjal or...I believe the Moon Glade(In game sizes ignored of course everything had to scaled down to make Azeroth an MMO Setting.) is and was home to one of the larger populations of Night Elves along with Felwood forest until recently(Before it was known as Felwood Forest). Basically northern Kalimdor is a good bet. However even older still you could be from about anywhere in Kalimdor barring the desert areas and Un'goro. Uldum was a myth until recently and while there are towns in Silithus it was largely a staging ground for the war of Shifting sands some 4000-odd years ago. Though I suppose there could have been settlements in Silithus before that?

At 400 hunred I would say one of the northern areas, perhaps again the Moon Glade was a heavily populated Night Elf Haven for a very long time.
Edited by Faber on 11/27/2012 11:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Death Knight
Your best bet would be something along the lines of Ashenvale. As for Silithus, that isn't really an option, as its supposed to be one of the most hostile places in Azeroth. Giant horrid insects wanting to eat you is hardly a good sign to make your home there. If you stick to the typical elven homelands of Ashenvale, possibly Darkshore, you shouldnt run into any issues.
Reply Quote
70 Human Paladin
11/28/2012 10:11 AMPosted by Takehikò
"I was born a night elf, raised by horde, lived for horde, but want to learn my origin in the alliance" Makes sense right? Creativity.
...Dear god, don't listen to him.

On Topic:
Pre-Third War, the Kaldorei pretty much had the run of Kalimdor but their specific territory was everything north of Ashenvale as well as Stonetalon, Desolace (maybe, who would actually want it anyway?) and Feralas.

Kaldorei aren't really big on cities, but they have a few including Astranaar, Auberdine, and Nighthaven. They also have several outposts/forts including Stonetalon Peak and Feathermoon Stronghold. If you wanted your character to be older, like pre-Sundering, you can pick any of the numerous Kaldorei ruins found all over the continent. Lore on them can be scarce though so you might have to do some digging for your backstory.
Edited by Istella on 11/28/2012 10:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
89 Night Elf Warrior
11/28/2012 10:11 AMPosted by Takehikò
Anyway, be creative. Don't think, "Oh I'm a night elf" think "I was born a night elf, raised by horde, lived for horde, but want to learn my origin in the alliance" Makes sense right? Creativity.

This is not creative. This is ignoring years of racial prejudice and actually ignoring what we know of a race itself.

No Night Elf alive today can be said to have been raised by Orcs. Night Elves do not age quickly enough. Even a -human- raised by Orcs would be... what, ten years old? Considering that Orcs were only really 'free' after they came to Kalimdor.

That is a terrible idea. And Istella was right for calling it bad. That's not creative. It's bad.
Reply Quote
70 Human Paladin
There is an ignore option on the forums. Go ahead and block me. I posted that for the OP's sake and not yours.

And unless you posted on a different toon, I don't know you from Adam, so don't accuse me of "trash talking" you before today. If you are going to suggest stupid ideas to new RPers who might not know any better, I am going to call you out on it. Your 'creative idea' completely and utterly smashes lore into teeny-weeny lorebits.

To be raised by the Horde, a Kaldorei character would have to be about 10 years old now. How the hell would a child even survive alone far enough out away from NE territory to be found by Horde in the first place? Any older than an infant and the child would already have a deep-seeded hatred and mistrust for the Horde and be smart enough to run the hell away. There is no remotely believable, non-convoluted, non-special snowflake (I use this term very sparingly, fyi) scenario where a Horde would happen upon an orphaned Kaldorei and take him/her in. Depending on who found them they would be (in order of likelihood) :
a) killed on sight
b) left to die
c) sold into slavery if they were old enough to be useful
d) dumped with some race-neutral organization to be returned to their people
Edited by Istella on 11/28/2012 10:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
89 Night Elf Warrior
11/28/2012 10:50 AMPosted by Takehikò
Ok, was captured by the horde as a child and kept captive. Create a backstory of why you were captured, "I was a thief and stole from the horde many times" or "I was a trained assassin and killed many horde" I don't know something.

They would be ten years old. A year, especially for a Night Elf, is not long enough to 'raise them'. ESPECIALLY for a Night Elf, not even ten years is long enough to 'raise' them. The idea is terrible.

If you were a thief and stole from the Horde they would just kill you. If you were an assassin they would probably torture you for a while first.

Trying to prove you're an awesome RPer on a forum where noone has any idea who you are and then presenting ideas like these does not help your case in the slightest.
Reply Quote
89 Night Elf Warrior
11/28/2012 11:16 AMPosted by Takehikò
And many people bend story lines on moon guard.

A lot of people doing something does not automatically make it good.

11/28/2012 11:19 AMPosted by Takehikò
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Okay? All I can say is "childish"?

You're catching on.

You missed the part about being dead after. Being dead tends to put a damper on anything RP-related.

and what is this 10 year thing you speak of? I haven't understood it the slightest bit.

Kalimdor has only existed as a thing in Warcraft as far as the Orcs/Humans are concerned for ten years. That is the entirety of the time they have spent together, or even known that Kalimdor as a place actually existed.
Reply Quote

Rise of the Horde begins»

The Last Guardian

Kil'jaeden and the Shadow Pact ends«

Rise of the Horde ends«
Rise of the Horde (Past) ends«
Unbroken begins»[3]

Unbroken ends«[3]

First War

0 (Year 592 by the King's Calendar)

The Dark Portal and the Fall of Stormwind begins»

The Dark Portal and the Fall of Stormwind ends«
Warcraft: Orcs & Humans begins»
The Last Guardian (Past) ends«
The Last Guardian

Warcraft: Orcs & Humans ends«

Cycle of Hatred (Past) ends«
Arthas: Rise of the Lich King begins»
The Alliance of Lordaeron

Second War

Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness
Tides of Darkness
World of Warcraft: Ashbringer (Past)

Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal
Beyond the Dark Portal
The Last Guardian (Future)
The Invasion of Draenor
The Birth of the Lich King
Icecrown and the Frozen Throne

Day of the Dragon
The Battle of Grim Batol
Lethargy of the Orcs

Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans
Lord of the Clans
The New Horde
War of the Spider
Road To Damnation[3]
Kel'Thuzad and the Forming of the Scourge

Of Blood and Honor
The Alliance Splinters
Genn Greymane: Lord of His Pack (Past) begins»[3]

In Between the Second and Third Wars

The events of Escape from Durnholde Keep take place.

Third War and the Scourge

Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos
The Scourge of Lordaeron
World of Warcraft: Ashbringer
Sunwell - The Fall of Quel'Thalas
Archimonde's Return and the Flight to Kalimdor
The Battle of Mount Hyjal
The Betrayer Ascendant begins»
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne begins»

Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game [10] [11]
Rise of the Blood Elves
Civil War in the Plaguelands
The Lich King Triumphant
The Betrayer Ascendant ends«
Old Hatreds - The Colonization of Kalimdor begins»
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne ends«
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (Bonus) begins»

Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (Bonus) ends«
Old Hatreds - The Colonization of Kalimdor ends«
Reply Quote
What -46 to 28 is is the number of years from Orcs in Draenor to Orcs finding Kalimdor. Note they started offworld and it took awhile to even get to this world.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]