Daily droprates: this isn't fun, Blizzard

58 Blood Elf Death Knight
Sorry if this comes across like a QQ post. It isn't meant to be - my intention is to make a civil, honest statement about my largest gripe with dailies, which this newest patch exemplifies.

I spent a few hours sinking my teeth into 5.1 today, and contrary to the 'axe to grind' nature of this topic I'm really impressed! The new 'Patience' scenario is great, great fun and IMO, sets the standard for differentiating scenarios from dungeons. The epic music, the direct attacks on my enemy faction's bases, all of it got my blood pumping.

And then I run into the 'Beastmaster' crane quest that you get by turning in those little insignias for the item that starts the quest. Myself and a guildie decided to do it together as we had the other quests, and over eighty dead cranes and nearly an hour later he's at 3/5 feathers and I'm at 4/5. I'm not exaggerating: we killed dozens upon dozens of cranes, often 4-6 at a time.

Blizz has asked us to communicate what isn't fun about the game: spending nearly an hour killing mobs for 5 quest drops, along side hundreds of other players competing for the same items and no doubt experiencing the same terrible drop rates, isn't fun. At all. When leveling I don't mind killing extra mobs because its experience points/etc. At 90, dealing with countless others doing the same quests and mobs with hundreds of thousands of health, it is just an unenjoyable chore to have to kill over eighty mobs for an amount of drops that is exponentially smaller.

Make no mistake: I do not mind dailies, in fact I like some of them quite a lot. But spending so much time to complete a single one, because of a pointlessly terrible drop rate, was enough disincentive that I logged off of the game. The fun I was having with 5.1 came to a screeching halt. My guildie declared "I hate this rep already" and that he would only do the bare minimum to progress it, all on account of that crane quest. Some people have limited playtime in their day, are they seriously expected to waste it farming dozens of mobs for a paltry number of feathers/tongues/etc?

I just don't understand why dailies are designed this way at level cap. The crane daily was irritating enough for me to log off, irritating enough to completely circumvent the fun I had until that point. There has to be a better design for these kinds of quests.
90 Worgen Druid
Well.
I'm excited to log on.
Community Manager
The idea is that with some effort (although we are looking at the drop rates being a bit too low), a player can go farm up the materials to summon one of the 5-person bosses who are then trapped in a cage - and from there everyone can fight it. If there are already animals in the cages there is no need to go out into the field to gather materials to summon another. Everyone can fight the boss and get credit for it (and rep), and killing a boss is a daily, so there's no need to kill more than one.

The entire process should be: someone farms up a boss with a Beastmaster's Hunt quest, everyone fights it together and gets the rep, and you only need to do that once a day.
90 Undead Monk
EDIT: Misread the post. So you can only do a kill quest once per day. :(
Edited by Petros on 11/27/2012 7:09 PM PST
90 Orc Death Knight
The idea is that with some effort (although we are looking at the drop rates being a bit too low), a player can go farm up the materials to summon one of the 5-person bosses who are then trapped in a cage - and from there everyone can fight it. If there are already animals in the cages there is no need to go out into the field to gather materials to summon another. Everyone can fight the boss and get credit for it (and rep), and killing a boss is a daily, so there's no need to kill more than one.

The entire process should be: someone farms up a boss with a Beastmaster's Hunt quest, everyone fights it together and gets the rep, and you only need to do that once a day.

At no point was this explained in game. You can't be surprised by the confusion.
Community Manager
Are you sure its working? I defeated the crane boss once and I didn't get the quest for downing it. I assumed you didn't need to be in the same group.

Did the character already get credit for one of the other two bosses? You only need to down one of them, not all three.

Well, I farmed up the Crane, and the Tiger was already in the cage after I caged the Crane - Me and a grp killed the Crane and I got a daily for it, but when I killed the Tiger as well with the grp (which I did not farm up) I did not get a daily for it...

So, bugged?
Edited by Zaxan on 11/27/2012 7:14 PM PST
11/27/2012 07:10 PMPosted by Rygarius
Are you sure its working? I defeated the crane boss once and I didn't get the quest for downing it. I assumed you didn't need to be in the same group.

Did the character already get credit for one of the other two bosses? You only need to down one of them, not all three.
Oooooh. So only one Beast daily is allowed? K, that makes sense now since I did not get a daily for killing the Tiger after I killed the Crane...
Edited by Zaxan on 11/27/2012 7:18 PM PST
90 Night Elf Rogue
Equally as frustrating as the drop rate is the fact that so many of the cranes are bugged. Either they evade or they appear to be many yards from you but you are actually taking melee damage from them.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Drop rates are a complete joke on the Crane Trap Quest... only got 1 feather in an hour while killing the childs of so and so....
90 Dwarf Priest
Im confused what is this daily we are talking about?
90 Draenei Shaman
Same here...can someone explain?

ok nvm I see--you turn the commissions you get from mobs into the respective Collector of Commissions for your faction and can purchase one of three traps that starts a daily.
Edited by Jenei on 11/27/2012 7:41 PM PST
90 Human Paladin
I was less disappointed about the drop rates or being only to do one boss daily a day, and far more disappointed that these quests give no rep with the new factions. Very quickly, few people will bother doing the snare trap quests since they are so slow to complete.
90 Night Elf Rogue
11/27/2012 07:44 PMPosted by Karadine
I was less disappointed about the drop rates or being only to do one boss daily a day, and far more disappointed that these quests give no rep with the new factions. Very quickly, few people will bother doing the snare trap quests since they are so slow to complete.

When you kill the beast boss at the completion of the quest chain that it begins you do get rep.
90 Human Paladin
I have to agree Blizz. Don't make me for some QQer, i've put my time in. I leveled a pally as prot back in BC from lvl 10 to lvl 70. I got 3 charachters to exalted with the netherwing. Im almost done with my loremaster achievement (never got around to filling in the new school kalimdore quests....) I've marched my way from Karazan through Deathwing and plan to do the same here in pandaria. That said, unless the drop rate changes significantly, i will not be doing these quests, ever. As someone who has done just about every rep grind, every faction, every raid, almost every quest, THESE ARE AWEFUL. seriously. I'd rather you give me a quest where my character rips out his own toenails. (i could go on but i think i've made my point.)

I still love you though, so as to not hurt your delicate sensibilities, i loved the new cinematic, i love that my king finally kicks a little horde butt, and father and son reuniting on the shore was touching, good job!
90 Dwarf Priest
Same here...can someone explain?

ok nvm I see--you turn the commissions you get from mobs into the respective Collector of Commissions for your faction and can purchase one of three traps that starts a daily.

i see....sort of meh wish my guild wasnt dead so i could get help
90 Tauren Paladin

Except that it gives you rep therefore is a must. But killing every single mob that drops Rotten Fish in one run, and there are a lot of them, doesn't yield enough for the quest. Should not have to sit around waiting for mobs to respawn, there is no effort in that.
Edited by Kurokire on 11/27/2012 7:50 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Priest
Now go back... and try doing it all as a holy priest!

It's soooo much more fun!

*mops up the sarcasm*

but ya I agree. Because I have this crazy OCDness about my main being holy and a healer and nothing but... dailies are a PITA for me... I honest to god wish I could hire some npc from halfhill to help me up on the hozen infested hills because I just die all the time..... I'm a healer... why can't I heal for my dailies?
90 Dwarf Warrior
11/27/2012 07:01 PMPosted by Rygarius
the drop rates being a bit too low

I lost my mouthful of coffee over my screen. And the mug over the keyboard :-D

11/27/2012 07:50 PMPosted by Aura
why can't I heal for my dailies?

Can't even properly heal target dummies! ;)
Edited by Kantankerus on 11/27/2012 7:55 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]