dungeons you hate tanking

90 Human Warrior
Stonecore when Cata first came out was always a pain in the !@#.

CoS went from being loved to hated really fast because of all the dialogue/RP. Shame because I have fond memories of that mission in the Warcraft campaign.
Reply Quote
81 Draenei Warrior
Dire Maul. I have always hated that one - from the stupid Pally quest to mobs everywhere in tight places. Hate is not a strong enough word for how that place makes me feel.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
DM and Mara are actually much easier now. The only challenging part of DM is when the tank doesn't know where to go; so, almost never, because anyone reading this is probably tanking it. Or getting full Tribute.

ToC: the RP.
CoS: the RP.
Oc: soloing it takes too long. Picking the right drake and following the red drake is apparently too hard for people.
ZF: Hexes. Healers are getting better about it, though.
BRD: Grim Guzzler and torches room. And having the "end boss" of cell block be also the first boss.
HoS: half of the time, Krystallus leaves us with a 30-sec, unremovable, untrinketable stun after killing him. And backtracking to the start (or porting out/in) after Brann, in order to get to the last boss, is unintuitive--i.e. hard to explain. Too often, I have the final boss at 50%, and people are saying "where do we go now?" Open map, they're standing at the Brann gauntlet.
BF: technicians' mines, because tanks and everyone think themselves invincible. Then they step on THREE AT ONCE and say "wtf heals".

Mot of my complaints seem to be things which prevent or drastically slow my ability to carry the rest of the group. Cata and MoP dungeons haven't given me any trouble oddly.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
11/28/2012 03:28 PMPosted by Pulloo
All of them

+1
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
11/29/2012 12:44 AMPosted by Waniou
Entirely because of Skulkers.

Frequently losing complete control of your character has got to be the most annoying thing ever in this game. In the Palace, the first few pulls of Shadopan Monastery with the electro shocking (not quite sure what it is) pandas, that crazy OP crusader strike in Scarlet Monastery, those damn lions in Mogu'shan Palace as well. There's no structure to it, it's just random bits of lets-frustrate-the-tank. They don't even make tanking all that more challenging, they just are there to piss you off.

/rage
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Dont get all the hate for Shado-Pan, its one of my favorites. Same with Grim Batol, its not too bad. I know a rogue who refuses to call it anything other than Grim Butthole.

But Wailing Caverns is too big. A thing I don't like about old dungeons is the way trash wasnt in convenient packs.

Durnholde...Possibly the worst dungeon ever.

A lot of WOTLK dungeons I didn't like too. Occulus specifically tried to fit in that vehicle gimmick WOTLK started. Culling was also a load of !@#.

And Blackrock Spire? F'ing Molten Core takes less time.

Haven't done Siege of Niuzao on my warrior yet. I got it twice, both times I zoned in on that boss who calls an army of adds and the groups wiped.

Wish we had more dungeons with Draenei/Blood Elf architecture, it looks really nice.
Edited by Sheydrina on 11/29/2012 6:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
Deadmines - it's the miniature golf course of dungeons.
Stormstout Brewery - it's just silly.
Durnholde - I'd have put my toon on follow and gone afk 'cept that doesn't work so well for the tank - not a single interesting encounter.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Entirely because of Skulkers.

Frequently losing complete control of your character has got to be the most annoying thing ever in this game. In the Palace, the first few pulls of Shadopan Monastery with the electro shocking (not quite sure what it is) pandas, that crazy OP crusader strike in Scarlet Monastery, those damn lions in Mogu'shan Palace as well. There's no structure to it, it's just random bits of lets-frustrate-the-tank. They don't even make tanking all that more challenging, they just are there to piss you off.

/rage

Both the lightning stun at the start of SPM, and the Shank from Skulkers, can be avoided... Just take a few steps out of melee range and you won't get stunned.

Similarly, DK's can AMS the lightning stun.

If you pull the entire room at the start of SPM, just strafe circle for the whole fight and you won't be stunned.

What no nominations for Halls of Reflection (at least when it first came out)?

Because hor is quite possibly the best 5man dungeon in the game (or was, at level-appropriate).
HoR separates the men, from the boys. Or... it's where boys become men. Something about boys and men. Idk, point is, no girls allowed.
Edited by Zionic on 12/1/2012 6:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Do agre with grim buthole

HoR on a warrior tank w/out using the stupid LoS strat was the most fun I've had in this game. Best instance ever.

Never had any problems tanking heroics on my DK, did about a 1000 of them in Cata (yes, that number is accurate), but there were some dungeons pending on what the gear of the other players looked like I'd just flat out leave, HoO and WoE are two that come to mind. HoO because people would want to do all the optional crap, WoE because I couldn't speed up the RP.

Every other heroic I got down to under 15 minutes at the end of 4.3 and it felt great. Stonecore I've finished in 7 minutes, SFK 15, Grim Batol in about 10. Deadmines pending on DPS was 13-17 minutes, rest were 10-15, most of the time spent running to the trash/bosses.

Right now in MoP I hate most of them, as I'm not really at the point where I can plow through them and the DPS I get make the dungeons take a while, don't really care to carry DPS pulling 20k when I can only do 40-50k in tank gear single target. Maybe at the end of the expansion in full heroic gear etc they'll become fun again, maybe. Yes I'm aware they're all piss easy, but there is only so much to my patience when I agro 3-4 packs at a time and the DPS are pulling 20k DPS AoE'ing on 12-15 mobs.
Edited by Adiara on 12/1/2012 10:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned the snake keys in sunken temple. No one is old enough to remember that time sink?

5 people running around forgetting the right order and having to re-set the damn things.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Do agre with grim buthole

I loved HoR. The only thing I hated about it was when I was healing it on my priest and some Derp would break the CC I put on the mage or hunter off to the side. "what is this shackle undead you speak of and why are you cussing at me?"

I hate Siege of Niuzao Temple. Just because the second boss fight sucks so much. I wanna just run down and pull all the trash at once.
Edited by Persephon on 12/2/2012 12:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
12/02/2012 12:18 AMPosted by Persephon
I hate Siege of Niuzao Temple. Just because the second boss fight sucks so much. I wanna just run down and pull all the trash at once.

Siege is the best.

Resin Flakes buffing DPS to absurd amounts.
Spell reflecting the stun cast from the early mobs, assuming there's a war in the group for symb.
Tar on the 2nd boss buffing DPS to absurd amounts.
Pulling 13 mobs before the 3rd boss buffing DPS to...
Detonate on the adds the 3rd boss spawns+the debuff on him buffing DPS

And then I don't really have anything positive to say about it for boss 4, but whatever, 3/4 is good.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I just hate the stand there and wait for the mobs to run to you thing. First wave you tank a couple mobs for like 2 seconds because they die right away from the tar. Then stand there for a minute because the next wave is demolishers and they get blown up. Then the next wave is basically the first. If you're lucky the warrior isn't completely dead by the time it gets to you.

I've taken to beating on the Amberwing just because I feel a need to hit stuff........lol
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Hop down and tank everything in the tar. Makes the encounter more interesting because PuGs are idiots and will throw the tar directly on top of you, making you actually have to move... and because you get to actually hit stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
11/29/2012 01:24 AMPosted by Waniou
I don't remember DM being that bad, provided people knew what they were doing on the trash. Grim Batol on the other hand... it's become an expression between one of my friends and myself for anything terrible. "Well the weather today's a bit Grim Batol."

This just put the DBZ Abridged Popo's laughter into my head.

I'm surprised people hated things more than H Stonecore... Soloing Ozruk at ~i345... SCREW YOU GUYS LEARN HOW TO NOT SUCK JESUS !@#$ THIS IS SO %^-*ING BORING RUN BACK IN-STOP DYING WHEN YOU RUN IN

-STOP FAILING AT THE TRASH, JUST !@#$ING JUMP WHEN HE RAISES HIS FOOT
-DON'T PULL THAT FAT GUY WE DON'T NEED TO
-DODGE THE ROCKS YOU IDIOTS
-INTERRUPT HER FFS I DON'T HAVE ONE(trollololololl AS missed)

Yeah, I got angry a lot when tanking H Stonecore...

Deadmines was bad, Stonecore was worse. Grim Batol was only [really] bad if you didn't have any reliable slows for Erudax.

Ugh... H SFK before they removed the first boss's heal...
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
You shouldn't need CC. Having some on the Hexxer is nice...

CC doesn't make much difference here either way. After one or two adds are dead (not sure) the rest become immune to CC and any current CCs break. This is fairly undertuned on heroic mode anyhow, and unless dps is really sub-par everything is going to die regardless.

This is mostly, academic considering how easy it is, but I'm not sure whether the Oracle or Ironhide should be first priority. The Oracle does seem to heal a bit, but the Ironhide places a shield over all the Sauroks which seems to absorb quite a bit of damage.

As for evading the Shanker's stun, I don't think its worth it. The stun is very hard to evade, and would require heavily concentrating on the Shanker instead of the rest of fight. Easier to just eat the periodic stun.

(I can't speak for Challenge mode, possibly in Challenge mode you have to CC, establish a precise kill order, and evade every stun.)

I'm surprised people hated things more than H Stonecore...

Most new tanks got the hang of Ozruk after 3 or so wipes. You'd see it just click. But the problem was most people got bored with teaching new tanks and would often quit after the first wipe. Theres the problem - early Cata heroics were designed more around pre-mades rather than LFD pugs. There was a blog entry about it I read a few weeks ago. Thats why heroics are now easier (but they made up for it with Challenge modes).
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I feel like I need to group these by expansion.

Classic: Blackrock Depths. I know a lot of people have fond memories of this place, but as I started playing about two weeks before BC came out, I do not share them. I have color deficient vision, and the whole place just looks like a big wash of muddy brown to me. This carries over into any dungeon with a strong red/brown theme, one of which Blizzard seems very fond.

BC: Ramparts. More red/brown. Stuns and disarms everywhere. Annoying pats that some joker will always pull. Dishonorable mention: Durnholde. Come on, Thrall!

Wrath: Halls of Stone. I used to get this place as my daily random every single day, without fail. I could live the rest of my life quite happily never seeing that crappy Brann event again.

Cata: Stonecore. See BRD/Ramps. Ozruk the pug destroyer. I can still hear the giants /lol'ing at me when everyone fails to jump.

MoP: None yet! But I haven't done them all, so give it time.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
2. Blackrock depths.

someone says, "I want to do heart of mountain."

THIS.

Also, UK.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Easily for me I would say every single heroic at the very start of Cata. Not only were they extremely gear dependant, but much longer overall. Not to mention I was not the biggest fan of tab targetting non-stop or dps gets one shotted (mostly because they do not understand what a skull target is).

I liked the first heroic I did 2 days after MoP was released (shado-pan mon) simply because it felt like somewhat of a challenge being in greens and blues. Now the dungeons are a joke and its been difficult to find 4 other people for challenge modes on my insanely dead server.

I do recall really enjoying the heroics during TBC, and I still enjoy them for the most part while leveling an alt.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]