Too much haste as frost spec?

100 Troll Mage
How do you know when you've got too much haste? Is there some point where the return on haste diminishes?

I'm sitting at 7200 haste right now, but I'm wondering if I would do better to restore some of the secondary stats (ie - crit and mastery) on my gear.
Edited by Gaidin on 11/28/2012 11:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Are you talking pve or pvp? There is huge difference for frost spec as pve should have much higher haste cap than pvp. Pvp frost is all about being crit "capped" (aka 16.66%) and then having as much mastery and spell power u can get. Haste does little to nothing for frost in pvp.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
PvE
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Here is the decision flowchart:

Are you a Frost mage?
[Yes]: You do not have too much haste.
[No]: Why are you using this flowchart?

AFAIK there are no breakpoints or inflection points at any plausible gear level. Haste is the best for the foreseeable future.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
The way you know if you have enough haste or not is when your frostbolt gets to the 1sec GCD/1second cast time. If your frostbolt gets capped while under the effects of timewarp/icy-veins then you should be using the icy-veins glyph.

Otherwise, there is no such thing as enough haste.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Here is the decision flowchart:

Is Icy Veins glyphed?
[Yes]: You do not have too much haste.
[No]: Why are you using this flowchart?

fixed.
Edited by Crystalah on 11/29/2012 9:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Okay, I think I get it now.

Cast time on my FB is 1.6 seconds right now, and when I pop icy veins it goes to 1.33 seconds.

So if I'm understanding correctly, I should not be using the icy veins glyph (which I'm not) until the cast time of my FB gets down to 1 second. As soon as I get down to a 1 second or less cast time on FB then I should glyph icy veins.

Did I get all of that right?

Also, thanks for the help!
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
11/29/2012 12:18 AMPosted by Delonn
Are you talking pve or pvp? There is huge difference for frost spec as pve should have much higher haste cap than pvp. Pvp frost is all about being crit "capped" (aka 16.66%) and then having as much mastery and spell power u can get. Haste does little to nothing for frost in pvp.

Not sure if serious.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage

So if I'm understanding correctly, I should not be using the icy veins glyph (which I'm not) until the cast time of my FB gets down to 1 second

No, you should be using the icy veins glyph period (in a raid). In dungeons, solo, scenarios, whatever, the utility of other glyphs often make them better than icy veins. The haste argument just means icy veins is MORE important. Basically, you want that +20% DAMAGE (not haste) every time you're using alter time or bloodlust.
Edited by Crystalah on 11/29/2012 1:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

So if I'm understanding correctly, I should not be using the icy veins glyph (which I'm not) until the cast time of my FB gets down to 1 second

No, you should be using the icy veins glyph period (in a raid). In dungeons, solo, scenarios, whatever, the utility of other glyphs often make them better than icy veins. The haste argument just means icy veins is MORE important. Basically, you want that +20% DAMAGE (not haste) every time you're using alter time or bloodlust.

This isnt actually true.

If you are not at the haste soft cap, which is still pretty easy to hit, usin the Icy Veins glyph is optional. Its better to get used to it either way, but you don't necessarily have to glyph it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
MMmmmmm Haste
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]