Cooking bag... Is it the best solution?

86 Troll Mage
While I appreciate the idea of adding a bag for cooking ingredients, there is one thing I'd like to point out - while bags themselves can always be made bigger, we still have just 4 slots for those bags, so every specialty-use bag we carry means less actual bagspace for the non-specialty items... which is everything else in the game.

And adding another bag type, I think, might not have been the very best single solution for things. Why not readjust what specialty bags can be capable of carrying which items, for folks who can't spare losing one of their bagslots that's sporting a nice roomy 22-space knapsack for the sake of adding a specialty-bag that might never get truly filled?

Now let me explain, as I think some of you might be losing track with what I'm trying to say here...

Cooking ingredients can basically break down into three categories - Fish, Vegetables, and Meat. (Okay, there's also specialty stuff like 100-Year Soy Sauce and the various alcohols, but we're not counting those here, for the sake of argument.)

Fishing bags can already carry fish, so there's that taken care of right off the bat.

Herbalism bags should be capable of holding all the carrots/leeks/cabbages/etc. we get from the garden and use in cooking. Vegetables are plants, after all, whether it's a tea leaf or a turnip.

Meat was a little trickier to work out. But then it hit me. Meat comes from animals. What other specialty item comes from animals? Leather! So, we make the skinning bags able to work with meat.

Obviously, I'm not suggesting cooks should carry three bags rather than one, but for those of us who are prolific chefs and already use one of the specialty bags, it would make organizing at least some of our culinary preparations much easier, even if we can't spare a bag-slot just for a mini-fridge.

For example, as an Alchemist, I use the Herbalism bag. But I'm also a rather admirable cook. So my bags are quite full with various potions, elixirs, empty bottles, transmutable goods, and the various ingredients for my culinary efforts and the delicious results of those efforts - as well as the various other items I cary in my travels. Now while I could swap one of my bags for the new cooking bag, it would, as a whole, probably leave me with less space than I now have, due to the missing general-use bag-spaces. But if I could fit all my vegetables in my Herbalism bag, I would have much more room, even if I still had to carry the fish and meat in my normal bags.

Like I said, the Cooking bag isn't really a bad idea - I just don't think it should be the only answer to help solve the "too many ingredients, not enough room" dilemma.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I have a hard time understanding why people have so many bag space issues and what people actually expect out of things like the new cooking bag. Im in charge of making and distributing consumables for a large guild, at any given time i have 6-10 stacks of each of the 3 primary stat potions, 6-10 stacks of each of the 3 primary 300stat foods and 2 stacks of each flask and enough enchanting mats that i can do any enchant. Yet i never really seem to have space issues.

These bags are about storage, i dont think its really intended for you to carry all those cooking mats with you all the time and i have no clue why you ever would.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warrior
I have a hard time understanding why people have so many bag space issues

Some people (like myself) are pack rats, and bag space is always at a premium. I'm happy for you that you have so many spaces, but not everyone pawns everything they get when they're done with it. I'm working on my Imperial Silk bags, but until then I have 8 bag spaces. Not that I'm complaining, it's my choice after all.

Some of my alts are mostly for crafting nowadays, so they have Engineering bags full of extra parts, or Enchanting bags stuffed with dust and essence. The extra bags are great because if you really are collecting that much "stuff" you can have the extra bagspace for it.

That aside, I think a Cooking bag would work better than diversifying what goes in where, simply because someone who is interested in cooking buy not Herbalism should be able to carry around their veggies and their meats. With your solution, it would use already existing bags, which is nice for some, but otherwise it'd just mean everyone has to get more bags if they want to store stuff. Instead of a food bag, you'd need a Veggie bag, and a Meat sack, and whatever.

As it is, the cooking bag is 6 extra spaces on the largest bag size (10 or more if you're just using green whatever bags) which is decent enough. The idea is that they should be a toss up...Do you want the extra bag space, or do you really spend that much inventory space on meat? If you do, maybe the bag is for you. If not, then it isn't. If you're like me and you wanted to store all the food somewhere, you'd pass it to an alt who doesn't have as much space issues and store everything there.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I agree that the cooking bag was not the best solution. However, it was likely the only solution that could be implemented in the time allowed. Adding a void storage food pantry would likely have been more involved.

The cooking bag in the meantime is a reasonable stop-gap solution that relieves the issue in the short term while buying time for Blizzard to consider and potentially implement a better solution in the long term, if needed.
Reply Quote
58 Undead Warrior
Add a pantry to citys and towns. problem solved
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Sure would be nice if these new cooking bags were bind to account; I send my cooking mats to a bank alt until they are needed... the new cooking bag binds on pickup, so it's useless for me on my raiding toon, where I cannot afford to give up an entire bag to just cooking mats.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Generalized Profession Bag would be better.

1 Bag type... works for ALL profession materials.

Cloths
Leathers
Ores
Bars
Herbs
Fish
Veggies
Meats
Threads
Inks
Dyes
Vials
Vellums
Papers
ETC. ETC. ETC.

This would be the ultimate Best solution... Of course people would complain that they have to organize their respective mats inside those bags too.... so...
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
11/29/2012 07:39 AMPosted by Aroefelle
Sure would be nice if these new cooking bags were bind to account; I send my cooking mats to a bank alt until they are needed... the new cooking bag binds on pickup, so it's useless for me on my raiding toon, where I cannot afford to give up an entire bag to just cooking mats.

If you are sending the mats to a bank alt, you might as well make them their own guild which would give you a 96 slot guild bank for a lot less then the bag costs. Though Blizzard did miss an opportunity for new iron paw uses by not making the bag tradable at least.

11/29/2012 08:28 AMPosted by Sylvyr

They already have this, its called a Royal Satchel and it is 28-slots.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Private guild bank for storage is the best idea for all the cooking stuff .....we older players of the game been doing this for years....
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
The things I have to most trouble with now is the plethora of "toy" items that Pandaren quests give, i.e. the Puntable Marmot. I want to keep all of these for the fun factor, but there's a MESS TON of them.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
11/29/2012 01:50 PMPosted by Alchemistia
The things I have to most trouble with now is the plethora of "toy" items that Pandaren quests give, i.e. the Puntable Marmot. I want to keep all of these for the fun factor, but there's a MESS TON of them.

You got that right! I try to hang onto the cool little treasures we get along the way. I ended up taking advice from here and starting an alternate guild just for bank storage. 2 bank tabs, and they are 3/4 full already! At least my main toon has more room now though.

I'm moving all the "storage", or little used stuff- lower level or oddball ore I want to hang onto, large qtys of ore I'm saving until prices go up, odd gems and other things i *might* need and don't want to dump yet, to the alt guild bank. I'll keep a small supply of the often used stuff close by (in my own bank) for when i need it, for the more common things I make. I'll also be storing all that soulbound stuff we picked up that I don't want to dump.

To be honest- I think since WOW has more levels than ever, Bliz should add a few extra bag slots to the bank. With more professions, more gear, more trinkets, more mats for each profession, we should get some more storage somewhere.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Low level toon Guild bank

I have 3 90 toons and each has a gathering profession.

I then have a slow leveling toon who has his own guild.

The cost of this Gbank is

I payed 100g each for signatures = 400g

bough 4 Gtabs = 4K gold

Bank tabs = 1 for enchants/ 1 mining/ 1 Leather/1 cooking and herbs

filled out the Characters personal bank with neatherweave bags = est 300g

and i leveled that toon to be able to buy void storage.

I think i worked out for around 6K total i was able to have bag space = almost 600 slots on one toon.

Each time i finish with one of my 90s I send all bankable items to my bank toon.

screw the 12K bags and what not which give ou like 32 spots.
Reply Quote
86 Troll Mage
11/29/2012 06:45 AMPosted by Drunkencrono
That aside, I think a Cooking bag would work better than diversifying what goes in where, simply because someone who is interested in cooking buy not Herbalism should be able to carry around their veggies and their meats. With your solution, it would use already existing bags, which is nice for some, but otherwise it'd just mean everyone has to get more bags if they want to store stuff. Instead of a food bag, you'd need a Veggie bag, and a Meat sack, and whatever.

That's not what I mean at all. Keep the cooking bag, but IN ADDITION to the Cooking bag, make some of the profession bags able to carry them too, for folks who can't/won't drop one of their normal bags for such a special-use bag. Make the various sorts of types of Cooking ingredients able to be carried in more than one type of specialty bag.

Like I said, both turnips and tea-leaves are plants, yet only one can fit in the Herbalism bag.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
I found out today while cleaning up my bags that spices won't go into the cooking bag. Seriously Bliz????? Spices???? Not in a dedicated cooking bag???
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I figured out the solution:

Don't be a pack rat, then you don't need those bags.

I'm never carrying that many "parts" of things, I create what I need and sell the extra.

I think I have one Abyssal bag(22 slot), from when they were super cheap on the ah (for some reason), frostweave bags(20 slot) and then that 24 slot gummie pack quest bag.
My main backpack and the gummie pack are nearly always emptied, when I'm done for the day.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Abyssal Bags used to be warlock soulshard bags. When they were "condensed", the bags converted into normal 22 slot bags, which were cheaper to make at the time then the 22 slot embersilk bags. And unlike hunter quivers which also converted to normal bags, you weren't limited to just one.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
11/29/2012 09:57 AMPosted by Jozie

They already have this, its called a Royal Satchel and it is 28-slots.

Ha ha, I get that part Jozie.

I meant the larger 36 slot bags. Make them profession only items, allowing them to be used for multiple/all professions, and the general purpose 28 slot bags for anything.

But with general purpose bags getting larger I guess Profession bags are going away.

I could really use 36 slot LW bags though... I have 2 full 28's and have consolidated way too much leather into Hides I wont use as much.

I just hate having to log back and forth to get profession mats from an alt bank...
Reply Quote
86 Troll Mage
11/30/2012 10:38 AMPosted by Sylvyr
I just hate having to log back and forth to get profession mats from an alt bank...

You're not alone. This is why I am, as someone else put it, a "pack rat" - I like to have the stuff I need on hand as I need it, not "Oh, wait, I can't do that right now, I'll have to run back to town, logout, log back in, hop on the character that has the stuff I need, dig through their bank for it, mail it over, switch back to my first character, and realize I still can't make it because I'm missing a piece and can't remember which character has it."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]