Best spec choices for Challenge modes?

90 Undead Mage
I understand this choice will vary depending on the dungeon - but I guess I can explain my curiousity by asking; is arcane or frost particularly useful in some dungeons that fire is just not?

I'm looking for PvE situations where fire is not optimal, I've been finding it a little dull lately and would like a change of pace.

Would arcane or frost exceed fire in some Challenge modes? Which?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
no

and get rid of scorch its garbage, and will always be garbage for eeevery encounter
Reply Quote
no

and get rid of scorch its garbage, and will always be garbage for eeevery encounter

The normals hero has spoken.
Reply Quote
I was frost for all of the challenge modes. Higher aoe due to frozen orbs and it performs better at lower item levels due to it not relying on a secondary stat to put out good dps. In terms of boss dps I could easily squeeze out 60k dps, but that may be inaccurate (can't really remember specifics it's been a long while)

Might have been 80-90k, I honestly can't remember. All I remember is I was doing really well.
Edited by Kawaiidesu on 11/30/2012 2:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
no

do you mean just for challenge mode content?

or all? I enjoy it in raids as fire.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
11/30/2012 02:37 AMPosted by Kawaiidesu
Higher aoe due to frozen orbs

Yeah this is why I was thinking about frost. Did you take Invocation and Frost Bomb?
Edited by Schmerlin on 11/30/2012 3:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
Yeah, although I think nether tempest is better than frost bomb for frost at the moment. I'm not sure though.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
i haven't done challenge modes, but i know that defeating trash pulls is the majority of the work, and frostbomb with fireblast glyph and pet freeze is absolutely amazing. Fire has good cleaves too, but probably suffers from the ilvl scaling.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Frost.

Take Invocation and Frost Bomb, make sure to Nova or pet Freeze before you detonate for max damage.

Not sure if you have Cosmos but that makes it a bit more difficult(the proc is amazing, but you will have to use LB/NT on trash unless your tank lets you drop combat before bosses.)
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Definately Frost. You can change talents as you are running so I usually switch between bombs 2-4 times per run. Just takes preactice to see where you are OOC enough/need the additional aoe.

2-3 Mobs I run NT and multi Dot. Any more than that and I run frost bomb. However, if the additional adds are non elites that die to your groups passive cleave anyway stick with NT. A good example is first mini boss in SH. Sure you will do crazy dps with frost bomb but those little guys are going to die before the big one to passive cleave regardless, so overall te pull will go faster if you kill the rate limiting mob (The mini boss) faster.
Edited by Nyctrïsïm on 11/30/2012 12:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
no

do you mean just for challenge mode content?

or all? I enjoy it in raids as fire.

scorch is much needed on most fights, especially on garalon being a kiter.
Reply Quote
11/30/2012 01:00 PMPosted by Raw
scorch is much needed on most fights, especially on garalon being a kiter.

I find that presence of mind combustions and proper posistioning to get off fireballs almost always outweigh the damage you lose (especially on garalon where a huge combust on legs spreads to boss and nets you nearly 180kish dps from combustion alone) by having to move and scorch; the only exception is vizier.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]