Does Anyone Actually Like SyFy????

90 Gnome Mage
For me, it's almost as worthless as TLC: constant "reality" crap, stupid game shows, & endless repeats of the same noxiously bad movies.

The other day I was flipping through channels & went from 60 all the way to 196 before I realized I hadn't even noticed whatever garbage was being shown ... & I didn't even miss it enough to go back & check.

"Imagine Greater" is a terrible tag-line for a network that can't do so.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
We don't get ScyFy, we have the Space channel.

That being said it plays a lot of ScyFy movies lately.

I miss the Friday Night Frightmare where they played a lot of older horror flicks.

The ScyFy stuff is pretty much all the same & are repeated so much that I don't even care for them anymore. :(
Reply Quote
27 Human Priest
I enjoy watching Fact or Fake, Face Off and rarely Ghost Hunters, but yeah the channel is absolute garbage now. Although they do occasionally show those hour to 2 hour long ghost documentaries by the Booth Brothers. Those are freaky man. I have the Waverly Hills one on DVD.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
SciFi Channel started it's long and cancerous death when Bonnie Hammer was president. She single handily killed MST3K and then killed Farscape because "My husband watched a few episodes and couldn't understand what it was about."

It scored a comeback with the Battlestar Galactica reboot which was just pure win in my book but it restarted it's slide to junk TV soon afterwards.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
The only good thing Sci Fi did was they made 2 Pumpkinhead sequels that were more fitting to the lore then Blood Wings.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
11/30/2012 06:58 PMPosted by Rufyn
It was cool as Sci-Fi, channel of Firefly reruns, Battlestar Galactica and Stargate SG1. Then it became Syfy, home to !@#$ty homemade movies and ghost hunting shows.

Don't forget wrestling. *shudders*
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
What really irritates me is that there are a boat-load of REAL sci-fi shows & movies they COULD be showing .... but they can't, because showing REAL sci-fi would interfere with their programming schedule of "reality" garbage.

You'd think The Walking Dead & American Horror Story would be perfect for SyFy ... but, no, they're on AMC. You'd think Once Upon A Time would be on SyFy .... but no, it's on a major network. Lost is better spec fiction than almost anything SyFy has shown in years ... but it was on a major network. Dollhouse? Heroes? Star Trek Next Generation? Doctor Freekin' Who?????

Nope. SyFy is fail TV.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I like the original movies. :) Dragon Wasps tonight!!!!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
STOP SHOWING MADE FOR TV MOVIES THEY ARE KILLING MY SOUL! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Though I like Destination Truth every once in a while. Sure they never find much if anything but it's more about hearing about the monsters and seeing the places the stories are told then watching them catch stuff.

But it's getting almost as bad as G4 did before it kicked the bucket...

I miss when they showed Godzilla movies...
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
12/01/2012 10:36 AMPosted by Drede
STOP SHOWING MADE FOR TV MOVIES THEY ARE KILLING MY SOUL! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

With all the awful low-budget TV movies they can afford to make (which means someone must be watching this crap), I don't get why they've yet to go to Joss Whedon and say "Hey, here's 5 million. Wanna make a low-budget Serenity 2?"
Edited by Cowbacca on 12/1/2012 11:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Well being Canadian I don't get that channel. We got Space which isn't too bad.

I had read that SyFy was working with Trion to make a TV show/MMO hybrid thing called Defiance but that's about as much info as I've ever heard about the channel.

12/01/2012 11:16 AMPosted by Cowbacca

With all the awful low-budget TV movies they can afford to make (which means someone must be watching this crap), I don't get why they've yet to go to Joss Whedon and say "Hey, here's 5 million. Wanna make a low-budget Serenity 2?"

you don't need a high budget to make good sciFi. Look at what the British come up with. They have made some excellent Science Fiction series with limited budgets. Just need something that is well written and well acted
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Does Anyone Actually Like SyFy

Not anymore. The super natural phenomenon BS and WWE wrestling ended it for me.
Needs to be renamed to The Laughing Stock of Pseudoscience.

I've ordered most of the good science fiction tv shows online now as well as everything else I care to watch.
TV Shows all around seem to have taken a plummet. There has been a few good ones recently, but nothing that made me as excited as Star Trek The Next Generation or Star Gate (Not SGU).
Edited by Nevintsha on 12/1/2012 6:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
70 Gnome Warlock
12/01/2012 06:34 PMPosted by Nevintsha
The super natural phenomenon BS and WWE wrestling ended it for me.

Same here. I have nothing against those types of shows, but they're not science fiction. And I think it shows that the network is more concerned with what makes the most money rather than making money from quality tv programming.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Face Off is a fun show. I have a friend who is a makeup artist, and I've always been fascinated by what these guys can do. Other than that, the channel is embarrassing. They've fallen really far since the 90s. Remember Sci-Fi Buzz with Harlan Ellison's irritable rants? Remember FTL Newsfeed? It's often hard to reconcile what was with what is.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's a love/hate for me. Once in awhile they will have movies (that are not "originals" mind you) that I enjoy watching, and sometimes I can find the mood to enjoy an episode of Ghost Hunters or Destination Truth if not much else is on. But for the most part, no, I don't find it to be in my top listing for programming anymore.

I won't even go into detail on my problem with the History channel either. Pawn stars and American Pickers are okay. Too much Pawn Stars and American Pickers and too little historical documentaries is not.
Edited by Entensity on 12/2/2012 7:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
89 Worgen Rogue
12/02/2012 07:34 AMPosted by Entensity
I won't even go into detail on my problem with the History channel either. Pawn stars and American Pickers are okay. Too much Pawn Stars and American Pickers and too little historical documentaries is not.

The worst thing iv seen is future tech, on modern marvels, on the history channel... sigh.

On topic, every once in awhile they will show something interesting, like a few days ago they played the movie pandora, and i do enjoy fact of faked and destination truth. But i do miss the days when it was called scifi, stargate is my favorite series ever.

12/01/2012 06:34 PMPosted by Nevintsha
There has been a few good ones recently, but nothing that made me as excited as Star Trek The Next Generation or Star Gate (Not SGU).

Just curious, why does every hate sgu? Sure it had a slow first season but the second season picked up, and it had a better setting than the other stargates imo.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
12/02/2012 08:42 AMPosted by Muddkips
Just curious, why does every hate sgu? Sure it had a slow first season but the second season picked up, and it had a better setting than the other stargates imo.

As a kid I grew up watching Star Gate (SG1). When Atlantis came up, that seemed to take everything to a new level for me. But when I watched SGU... Well... It was a bit of an underwhelming experience that tried re-inventing the wheel for the series.
Well it's mostly my opinion. I honestly wouldn't care if SyFy kept showing SGU. It's better then nothing, eh?
Edited by Nevintsha on 12/2/2012 8:50 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]