Inscription is worthless!

85 Night Elf Druid
I leveled inscription and this is a tip to everyone that thinks they may want to level inscription. Don't! Glyphs are a one time deal. No one buys them and they don't cost much. Need more reason? The competition is stiff and you can achieve the same level of buffs from other professions that can actually make money on anything but card decks.

That is my rant, thanks for reading, I hope this helps others not waste their time and blizzard realize something is broken.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Shoulder Enchants are where you will move product.

Glyphs can make some money, but usually it's select glyphs that are most important to each spec.

Don't try to post too many at one time... 1 or 2 at most, then do it again after they sell.
Reply Quote
Inscription is the easiest profession to make gold with between shoulder enchants and cards.

Unless it's been nerfed, you can even craft and vendor the blue quality shoulder enchants and come out ahead.
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
12/01/2012 02:52 PMPosted by Consortium
Unless it's been nerfed, you can even craft and vendor the blue quality shoulder enchants and come out ahead.

Just noting that this is only true if herb prices are <30g/stack or so
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Agree. I'm about 1/3 of the way in leveling this profession and trying to decide if it's worth continuing. Everything made thus far has been vendor sold. Are the DM cards really enough of an incentive to keep leveling this? Is it going to make anybody rich?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I'm about 1/3 of the way in leveling this profession and trying to decide if it's worth continuing. Everything made thus far has been vendor sold.

that is true of pretty much all professions, and infact inscription has more chance to sell what you make while leveling because max level chars need glyphs. Though the trainer ones are the hardest to sell since they are flooded. but no one wants 30x blabla level30 leather belt.

Are the DM cards really enough of an incentive to keep leveling this? Is it going to make anybody rich?

i made about a million gold at the last darkmoon fair.

To the OP, glyphs are hugely profitable if you have the time/inclination to do them properly but it is certainly not for everyone. Your glyphs aren't selling because you are being undercut not because no one is buying glyphs. Darkmoon cards however is like an instant 1k+ gold button every day.
Edited by Zachfu on 12/1/2012 3:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/01/2012 02:58 PMPosted by Bananawafer

Just noting that this is only true if herb prices are <30g/stack or so

Which I do not imagine is going to be the case ever again post 5.1.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I made about 15 k last DMF off cards and made 2 trinkets for my toons (which would have cost me 25k each to buy). I am on a low pop sever though and stuff just doesn't sell that fast. Period. I have sold 2 shoulder enchants...total...lol. And it hasn't been for lack of trying. But, it has been better than my other professions: enchanting, mining, and tailoring. Oh and engineering. By the time you level it up though, cards will have gone down in price. Herb prices are currently going up due to herb node nerf.

No one I k ow has done very well this xpac with profs.
Edited by Trillium on 12/1/2012 5:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
12/01/2012 05:29 PMPosted by Trillium
No one I k ow has done very well this xpac with profs.

I would not want to be on your server. s_s

That sort of situation is more the exception than the rule, though.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Inscription is bank. You just have to undercut a lot.

Glyphs are so good because of the high profit to cost to craft margins. Glyphs often cost less 10 gold to craft, but rarely auction for less than 10 gold.

Then add in shoulder enchants and dark moon cards.
Reply Quote
12/01/2012 03:24 PMPosted by Gaareth
Agree. I'm about 1/3 of the way in leveling this profession and trying to decide if it's worth continuing. Everything made thus far has been vendor sold. Are the DM cards really enough of an incentive to keep leveling this? Is it going to make anybody rich?

I make no less than 500k per darkmoon faire right now. Yes, it's worth it. I have 5 scribes and am working on 3 more. I'd make more than that if I could.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
The key to making gold with glyphs (beyond undercutting) is to sell the ones that are learned through research. Those sell quite well because a lot of scribes don't bothter to learn beyond the basics.

I invested on learning them all in Cataclysm by purchasing Books of Glyph Mastery for about 35k and I fully recouped my investment several times over. Now that you can learn them all through dailies, you don't even have to make that big outlay to make profits.

Also, in 5.1 nothing was added that made the DMF cards poor trinkets. They're still good, especially since you can now upgrade the ilevel. With more access for raids, I'm hoping for more sales all around.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I've leveled inscription recently, and I've found it to be the second-most-fun after engineering. Maybe it's just because I'm interested in calligraphy and little bottles of ink and whatnot in real life, but I like it.

Right now I'm making several hundred gold a day with very little effort, which is good for me. Especially considering that I don't have MoP yet, so I can't make worthwhile cards or enchants, just glyphs. And I'm on a medium-population server.

Gaareth:
Agree. I'm about 1/3 of the way in leveling this profession and trying to decide if it's worth continuing. Everything made thus far has been vendor sold.

I don't even try to auction the stuff I make while leveling, for any profession. And with inscription I never make the trainer-learned glyphs, because the supply is just too big. I only make the glyphs learned through research.
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
12/02/2012 12:31 AMPosted by Icpitl
Especially considering that I don't have MoP yet

it's been down to $20 a few times already...

on-topic: I recently made a scribe and I very, very much regret not making one sooner.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Bananawafer:
it's been down to $20 a few times already...

That's good. Maybe once I get some Christmas money....
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I was doing very well with incription prior to the herb nerf. I could collect all the herbs i needed in 15 minutes. I may ease out for a bit and see if I can get by with only JC and enchangting products for a bit. At the moment I'm using nearly all the herbs I get for flasks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Why on earth would you gather your own herbs? Inscription is profitable through massive volume. You mill and ink then mill and ink some more and finally turn the inks into what you are going to sell. You cannot possibly gather enough herbs to fully fund the amount of herbs needed to become a rich scribe.

Gathering your own materials does not make them free. There's always oppurtunity cost involved and taking into account oppurtunity cost is what separates we WoW millionaires from those people that post things like "Inscription is worthless."

Do not buy your herbs. Do watch the market as it fluctuates during the week and watch for the days they're the cheapest (often Mondays on my servers). Then, buy buy buy buy. It takes gold to make gold. Don't be afraid to invest in yourself and your "business." Just watch the prices before doing so in order to create the best margins for your goods.

Also, don't post things for stupdily low prices. If someone is dumping their goods, either let them sell out if you don't want to flip them, or wait to post. The items will go back to the average level within a day or two. I'm big on undercutting to make a profit but not to lose gold. A little patience can make you a great deal of gold.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
12/01/2012 01:55 PMPosted by Moonstormz
I leveled inscription and this is a tip to everyone that thinks they may want to level inscription. Don't! Glyphs are a one time deal. No one buys them and they don't cost much. Need more reason? The competition is stiff and you can achieve the same level of buffs from other professions that can actually make money on anything but card decks.

I totally agree. I levelled up inscription with one of my toons so our guild could get the achievement (all professions to max) last year.

It's very hard to sell glyphs, I don't bother now and just gave away the left overs. No matter if i put up one or two only, someone always undercuts --often by a silver or a gold.

Glyphs will be way over priced, say hundreds of gold, I'll put one up for 30 or 50 gold, then surprise surprise there is one for less. Just not worth the effort.

: D
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Made 12k yesterday, though some of that was buying up cheap cards over the last month. Still tend to make a few hundred gold on glyphs sales everyday, though it is more boring then worthless.

But for years I didn't / couldn't make gold with any of my professions. They were there for "RP" and convenience. If everyone tried to make gold with their professions, no one would. Hence SoH.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]