resto shaman hps?

90 Troll Shaman
hello guys,

I am a fairly new mop raider (i did raid back in the days of vanilla and first expantion heavily).

Basically I am pulling about 35k hps during MV bosses and holy pallies are doing 55 or higher.
I was looking to get some sort of ideas on what is considered acceptable hps for raiding as a resto sham?

Thanks
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Pandaren Monk
HC
In what setting? 10? 25? Heroic? Normal?
90 Troll Shaman
regular 10 man
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Reforge into crit and out of mastery. In Normal modes, on average, crit is a better stat due to the way our mastery works.
Unless you are specifically going for a haste breakpoint, don't reforge into Haste.
Missing Living Steel Belt Buckle.
Drop the glyph of Riptide, it's really bad for 90% of normal modes. Consider Glyph of Healing Stream Totem or Glyph of Water Shield.
Stick an enchant on that staff.
At your gear level, the 200+ Spirit to Chest would be a better enchant than +80 Stats.
Spec is fine, but consider Primal Elementalist and the elementals channeled abilities (Empower and Reinforce) for fights that have specific healing 'burn' phases (eg. Elegon p3, Gara'jal p2, Feng p3, Vizier Force and Verve etc etc).
Mastery enchant on gloves >Haste enchant.
Use your JC Serpents eyes on spirit gems. More regen= more healing.

Can't do anything else without logs.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I heal with a paladin in 10 normals as well. We're not great, but we're not bad either, as far as 10 normal guilds go I'd say our progression is in the middle of the pack (4/6 MSV, 1/6 HoF, probably get to 2/6 or 3/6 HoF next week) Here's our most recent progression kill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-s0WLkda0k

I'll be the odd person out here and say that I love Riptide glyph - it's the only spammable HoT we have between us and one the few tools we have for spread raid healing. If I was running with a priest or a druid I'd never even think to glyph it of course - when all is said and done we use it as a crappy rejuv - emphasis on crappy.

This expansion I'm feeling that we've become really good raid burst healers, but at the expense of longevity. My paladin friend never ooms but she can't really burst when we need it either. I have to carefully budget my mana even when nothing important is going on so I don't oom when we're taking tons of raid damage. It's a synergy that works well for us.

As for gear, you want spirit on every piece of gear. Beyond that I've been running with haste to 12.5%, Mastery at 50%, rest crit. There's a really good guide on EJ about resto raid healing in MoP, here's the link:

http://elitistjerks.com/f79/t130574-resto_raid_healing_5_05_mop/#Water_Shield

Make sure you glyph Water Shield on fights where it will give you more mana back glyphed than unglyphed. Chaining and Riptide are good glyphs on spread fights, Spiritwalker's Grace and Riptide are good on high-movement fights, Healing Stream Totem is always good if you have the slots available for it.

You should also focus on 100% uptime for Healing Stream Totem. I'll be the first to admit I'm terrible at this (getting better though!) but over the course of a raid fight HST can do a million plus healing easily if you just drop it on cooldown and it costs almost no mana.

Make sure you manage your cooldowns. Drop mana tide early, save healing tide for when you need it. Ascendance + GHW spam is really good for patching up the raid if you don't want to blow healing tide. Don't forget your elementals - earth gives you a 10% damage reduction and both empower your heals. Spirit Link will save your tank from getting pummeled to death. Grounding and Earthbind totems are excellent utility in some fights, etc.
Edited by Kessiaan on 11/21/2012 11:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
11/21/2012 11:54 PMPosted by Kessiaan
it's the only spammable HoT

Blanket Riptides is out most mana intensive healing 'rotation' possible at the moment. Not spammable.
I have to carefully budget my mana

Because of the above.
haste to 12.5%

This is irrelevant. Haste to a percentage is terrible advice. The reason you would gear for haste as a Resto Shaman is for HoT ticks. The breakpoints for these are at numerical values (3764 for example), not at percentage marks.
Mastery at 50%

This is a common misnomer. There is no reason to stop gearing for mastery at 50%. It is your best stat for a fight, or Crit is, or a fusion of the two stats. There is absolutely no reason to just stop gearing for mastery at 50%. 50% is completely irrelevant.
Chaining and Riptide are good glyphs on spread fights

No, they aren't. On an exclusively spread raid fight, Chaining is fine. As soon as there is any stacking you've gimped yourself. Glyph of Riptide is just bad. When you look at your actual use of Riptide, you are picking up a glyph to compensate for lack of good pre-planning.
100% uptime for Healing Stream Totem

Not possible. 15sec duration, 30second cooldown.
it costs almost no mana

Healing Stream totem is considerably expensive. Dropping it on cd is not advisable because overhealing=wasted mana.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
11/22/2012 12:07 AMPosted by Convictfish
The breakpoints for these are at numerical values (3764 for example), not at percentage marks.

Uhm... the numerical values correspond to percentage marks.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
11/22/2012 12:44 AMPosted by Anarri
Uhm... the numerical values correspond to percentage marks.

Except if you say gear to 12.5% haste, someone will look at that and see, yeah 12.49% is fine. This means they can be 10-20 rating below the cap and thus have a pile of wasted stats.

When you tell people to gear for haste caps, you tell them the numerical value so they can get just barely above the cap to maximise their stats.

Besides, 12.5% isn't even a haste cap for Resto Shamans, its 12.51%.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Reforge into crit and out of mastery. In Normal modes, on average, crit is a better stat due to the way our mastery works.
Unless you are specifically going for a haste breakpoint, don't reforge into Haste.
Missing Living Steel Belt Buckle.
Drop the glyph of Riptide, it's really bad for 90% of normal modes. Consider Glyph of Healing Stream Totem or Glyph of Water Shield.
Stick an enchant on that staff.
At your gear level, the 200+ Spirit to Chest would be a better enchant than +80 Stats.
Spec is fine, but consider Primal Elementalist and the elementals channeled abilities (Empower and Reinforce) for fights that have specific healing 'burn' phases (eg. Elegon p3, Gara'jal p2, Feng p3, Vizier Force and Verve etc etc).
Mastery enchant on gloves >Haste enchant.
Use your JC Serpents eyes on spirit gems. More regen= more healing.

Can't do anything else without logs.

alright i will drop haste to 12.51. As it stands now, I am made to increase my overall healing output during runs because if i stand around 35kish, i will not be going on raids with the guild. This is made to look worse because I am "compared" to holy pallies who blow through 55k hps.

Here is another q. When everyone is topped off, I dont heal (mana conservation or just because there are a few seconds of no dmg). Does that lower my numbers for the fight significantly? My concern is to max my healing output for the fight at any cost so I can at least attend raids.
Reply Quote
70k+ HPS is a reasonable amount to reach on most fights.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
11/22/2012 02:24 AMPosted by Convictfish

No, it's 12.5%. We just choose to go a little over because of how WoW handles rounding. Conceptually, the breakpoint is 12.5%.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
11/22/2012 10:51 PMPosted by Glaciationz

maybe at ilevel 492. Most of us back in the 460's-470s will see more like 50k HPS.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
11/22/2012 02:24 AMPosted by Convictfish

And it is currently bugged and pointless.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
11/23/2012 08:26 AMPosted by Harpoa
And it is currently bugged and pointless.

Doesn't mean haste isn't somewhat important (role dependant), especially in a 10m.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
11/22/2012 10:51 PMPosted by Glaciationz

What a arbitrary and elitist number to expect. Get real.
11/23/2012 08:02 AMPosted by Turkic

maybe at ilevel 492. Most of us back in the 460's-470s will see more like 50k HPS.

This.
Edited by Jagen on 11/26/2012 8:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Please don't reforge out of mastery. I really don't understand why people say a mastery heavy-ish build is necessary only for heroic modes.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
HPS for shaman greatly depends on the amount of incoming damage (due to mastery). I raid 10's and we've cleared everything but sha in terrace. (just didn't have the time this week to get in another night to clear). I would say you should be shooting to be around 40-50k. This isn't something you can easily pinpoint but I would say that your numbers are a little low even given your gear.

I think crit by and large is the way to go. It works well for raid heals, lots of healing rain crits, chain heal crits. I am typically designated tank healer and its a lifesaver even in single target burst scenarios especially with mastery. Shamans are a clutch healer so stack the deck as much as you can in your favor imo.

Primal elemenntalist is a good talent and i ran with it for a good while. But i would suggest unleashed fury. Its flexible lets you dump big heals into a single target (with my gear I've hit 285k crits of greater heal unbuffed standing in org hitting full health targets) or use the buff on self for healing rain and the buff-on-target to cast chain heal off of. (or whatever heal is appropriate).

Perhaps try and to more effectively use your CD's. A well timed Healing tide, or ascendance can/will reflect in your meter.

@Taymage reforging out of mastery for normals is typically the smart move. if I have 60% mastery but people only drop low enough for me to gain 30% of my mastery- then I have 30% wasted mastery, wasted stats which could be better used elsewhere like crit, or even haste. But in heroics where the dmg is much higher, and peoples health drops lower and more often drops lower then yeah mastery is the stat to have. And in some cases mastery is worth even more than int on targets at or near 30% health.
Edited by Bodacity on 11/27/2012 10:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
89 Troll Shaman
I would go look up better advice elsewhere. The advice in this thread is not very good at all.

Discussion of stat priority for RShamans is questionable at best and totally misleading and false at worst. Every encounter is different, but for general healing most healers prioritize numbers above functional efficiency and throughput, which is wrong.

No amount of spell power or intelligence is going to keep you from healing incorrectly and no amount of crit is going to mitigate the effects of wasting your mana and GCDs.

Stats with no functional cap in efficacy should be your goal when your skill level is low. These are mastery and spirit- not crit and intelligence. Crit and Int will just RNG and overheal you into inconsistency.

HPS is a highly variable stat that depends on overhealing, the gear of your raid, the skill of your raid, RNG, etc. etc. Be careful basing things on that stat.

Give yourself some leeway and room to breathe with spirit and get your timing down. Learn encounters, anticipate where the damage is, get your head out of your UI and onto the battlefield and watch the game. Awareness is everything.
Edited by Aquapura on 11/27/2012 10:20 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]