Best raid tank class?

(Locked)

90 Tauren Warrior
I haven't tanked in a while and I'd like to know what is the best current class for tanking MoP raid content? I realize that specific battles favor certain classes. I'm looking at the overall picture. Thanks in advance for your replies.
39 Worgen Warlock
Or you could check one of the innumerable other threads about this on the front page that all have the same answers in them.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Let's look at it this way.

Why on earth would Blizzard allow one tank to be the single best tank for a certain type of content? That's just asking for trouble. Do you honestly think Blizzard would do that?

Each tanking class has it's positives and negatives. Each tanking class can tank end-game content perfectly fine. Heroic modes included. This isn't BC. Blizzard has learned how to balance classes for PvE.

Pick the class you find most fun.
90 Draenei Paladin
I hope the best tank is a paladin or a monk, because those are the only two i have at 90 and don't want to really level my druid since it's boring -_-
90 Night Elf Druid
Based on my experiences, all the RLs I've encountered want at least one DK tank.
I've never raided in end game content before I played a monk. Once I played the brewmaster, I didn't want to play anything else. I love the the flexibility the monk class has.
90 Orc Death Knight
11/22/2012 09:56 PMPosted by Sparklefever
Based on my experiences, all the RLs I've encountered want at least one DK tank.
Because they're firmly stuck in Dragon Soul, as most raid leaders suck, don't do their research, and as a result are horrifically behind.

Warriors and Paladins are easily the best tanks right now, by a long shot. DKs don't bring crap for raid utility outside of niche cases (whereas Cry+Banner/Devo Aura+Battle Healer is always useful) and their survivability is no better than Warrior/Paladin.

Them's fightin' words.
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Can't blame them...

After almost a full year of 'Red nameplate = take this man', its hard to adapt.
90 Pandaren Monk
Because they're firmly stuck in Dragon Soul, as most raid leaders suck, don't do their research, and as a result are horrifically behind.

Warriors and Paladins are easily the best tanks right now, by a long shot. DKs don't bring crap for raid utility outside of niche cases (whereas Cry+Banner/Devo Aura+Battle Healer is always useful) and their survivability is no better than Warrior/Paladin.

what?

AMZ ... battle ress.

I think that's very in line with Rallying Cry and banner. Besides, those are not "prot specific", any warrior can bring those. If you have a dps warrior or dps DK than already bring those things.

And overall fights are very balanced between tanks. But I'd take a good dk/monk over a good warrior/paladin ANY day. Simply because of the versatility of cooldowns they have to handle different mechanics.

I'm wrecking our pally tank in every possible way. The dmg difference between us is obscene (as I'm pulling WAY more dmg than him in every scenario). I'm requiring less healing, more reliable to handle mechanics, more versatile ..

One thing people are also not taking into account is that while a paladin can dish out a lot of healing, it's self healing .. while a monk can put out a good amount of self healing, but an absolutely obscene amount of raid healing. That is a very good "pro".

So honestly? In terms of tanks, it's really "bring the player and not the class". If the player is REALLY good, it doesn't matter which class he picks, he'll perform well.
Edited by Leeflow on 11/23/2012 6:56 AM PST
90 Orc Death Knight
omg Horn of Winter.
90 Blood Elf Warrior
lul
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

Lets look at some of the fights in HoF (which is where the largest portion of guilds are working on)

how many bosses are mainly physical damage based?
having a tank that can not only heal back the damage he/she takes but also provide himself with a shield that pretty much deals with every attack coming his way is a plus.

Not saying that dk's>all, it's a pretty even spread, however dk/monks put out more dps than warr/pallies because of weapons and gearing.

hard to hit harder than a tank who has more vengeance because he takes higher hits/more EH and uses a 2 hander or a tank who basically gears like a dps (monk)
Edited by Salloreon on 11/23/2012 9:15 AM PST
39 Worgen Warlock
11/23/2012 09:13 AMPosted by Salloreon
how many bosses are mainly physical damage based?

All of them, because all of them melee and none of them have a mechanic for which AMS obliterates other tanking classes as they had in Dragon Soul.

having a tank that can not only heal back the damage he/she takes but also provide himself with a shield that pretty much deals with every attack coming his way is a plus.

So is blocking, having very high avoidance/self regen, having a multitude of AM toys and being able to prepare a ~50% damage reduction window for predictable burst (like Overwhelming Assault... Furious Swipe... etc etc etc). All of the tanks are well prepared to handle the raid's mechanics.

Not saying that dk's>all, it's a pretty even spread, however dk/monks put out more dps than warr/pallies because of weapons and gearing.

Warriors and paladins scale better with vengeance and are handily capable of outdpsing DKs in all instances. DKs have an advantage in low-vengeance scenarios (like Garalon) because of much of their damage scaling off of weapon damage.

hard to hit harder than a tank who has more vengeance because he takes higher hits/more EH and uses a 2 hander or a tank who basically gears like a dps (monk)

Your shield scales with incoming damage, yes. So does flat % damage reduction.
Edited by Rijdot on 11/23/2012 9:52 AM PST
90 Pandaren Monk
Considering Leeflow is Eflow, who is a DK, and your Kangarooster who is a warrior, its safe to say you are all biased.
90 Night Elf Druid
DRUIDS ARE ALSO TANKS, GUYS. :c
90 Pandaren Monk
Not with those textures.
90 Pandaren Monk
Brewmaster has dat passive ox statue and we do insane damage on melee damage intensive fights. Reviewing recounts each night, I am pulling twice the damage our MT bear does. It's prolly because I am bipedal and he walks on all fours. Thumbs for the win.

But really, I've seen all versions of tanks on all fights outside of ToES and BrM feels solid, bears, eh, they are intatestring to pair up with. Warriors and pally's bring a great deal to the table, but I have a preference for a DK at times.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
dks and monks are great,if you talent a certain way dks can bring more to the table then a pally,i cant remember the times no one knew what they was doing in the stone guardian fights and i threw down anti magic zone and saved 2 healers and 4 dps from dying from a combo of the mine and overload.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]