Best raid tank class?

(Locked)

39 Worgen Warlock
11/24/2012 02:11 PMPosted by Symphogear
dks and monks are great,if you talent a certain way dks can bring more to the table then a pally,i cant remember the times no one knew what they was doing in the stone guardian fights and i threw down anti magic zone and saved 2 healers and 4 dps from dying from a combo of the mine and overload.

Please stop trolling.

You aren't funny. You never have been. You're just too obvious.
90 Pandaren Monk
but rij bro i tots saved my healers wit the 50k amz absorb
90 Pandaren Monk

Having two people with cry+banner>having one person with cry+banner. Yeah, it's the same deal with battle rezzes too - but again that's something you look at on a group-by-group basis. If I already have a Druid and Warlock in my group, I'm sure not gonna need that Blood DK for rez.

that's a matter of preference.

AMZ negates a "burst" spell in the raid, it's not about the amount it absorb, it's how the 75% cheese aoe raid dmg mechanics. It's a very good raid cd. While RC is more about "raid is taking a lot of dmg for whatever reason, lets give everyone more hp". It doesn't reduce dmg taken .. it increases people's hp so that they don't die for whatever reason. Those are very different things.

For example, Monk healers have Revival, but that's a huge aoe heal on the raid, it's not the same of say, spirit link totem. Some raid cds are better at handling aoe instant raid dmg, some at dealing with constant aoe raid dmg, etc etc .

In this sense, revival is more of a "oh !@#$" raid-wide button than a proper defensive raid cd.

Which is my point. DKs are on par with warriors in terms of "utility". Just like monks, and paladins and druids .. each on their own way.

Warriors have R. Cry? Monks put out some obscene amount of raid healing via guards, and chi burst/wave. Some fights R.C is better to handle a intense raid burst, so that people don't die? sure .. but other than that, Guard statue is superior any day. We hardly need more than 1 RC (if we need) per boss. There's very little gain in having multiple RCs.

And again, it's about specs. Only a brm can provide guard statue and avert harm. You can't simply put another monk and have those. While a warrior you can simply have it as dps. In this sense, I rather have a monk tank + warrior dps than warrior dps + tank.

Imo is about versatility. The more different tools your raid have at your disposal, the better. Spirit Link totem is, imo, one of the best raid wide defensive cds ... but there's no good in stacking 2-3 resto shamans just because of that. Many fights wont even benefit from them.

Pretty sure you're just biased here, there's literally nothing I can't handle on my Warrior just as well as any good BrM or DK, including magical burst damage.

it's the other way around. I play a monk (and played a DK) because I think those are the best tanks. Not that I think those are the best tanks because I play them.

I'm not saying the other tanks are bad, currently all tanks are able to tank every fight. But I played all of them and I know exactly how their mechanics work, and we do have a warrior/pally tanks available on our core. But unless the fight requires me to heal, we never, ever, chose them instead of me to tank. Simply because my toolkit works best for our group. People know the shenanigans I can pull, how my toolkit can cheese some mechanics etc.

For example: Can our paladin tank H vizier? sure .. but the fact that I can double roll between platforms, use transcendence to quick move the boss (which is extremelly important on this fight on p2), guard to negate every exale, elusive brew between his mechanics, stagger giving me a perma ~50% reduction for every single mechanic in the fight, being able to keep myself and 4 dpsers without a healer .. keeping myself without a healer on p2 .. That puts our pally tank on the pocket =p

is he a bad tank for that fight? surely not. Those things are not required things to beat the boss, but they sure as hell give us an edge.

Which is my point, can you bring any tank and he'll get the job done? yes. But I'd rather have a monk or dk + X, if I can choose.

and you can't seriously compare battle healer with BrM heals ..

from our last H elegon kill yesterday which is our most recent log (for some reason my log stopped on our H Vizier attempts).

healing done by:
Guard 5656554
Chi Burst 2201032

Healing done on:
Leeflow 3667036 33.7 %
Justice 1968428 18.1 %
Net 1685165 15.5 %
Cmdtfrazao 1110022 10.2 %
Råfael 543427 5.0 %
Dupret 511276 4.7 %
Rethy 462233 4.2 %
Vampiralce 320192 2.9 %
Canino 314746 2.9 %
Razielggcp 306751 2.8 %

Healing done by:
Battle Insight 2573968

Healing done on:
Justice 4431719 63.3 %
Vampiralce 739824 10.6 %
Razielggcp 363494 5.2 %
Canino 296583 4.2 %
Råfael 268727 3.8 %
Leeflow 241552 3.4 %
Cmdtfrazao 201276 2.9 %
Dupret 197476 2.8 %
Net 115594 1.7 %
Xuen 77895 1.1 %
Rethy 71547 1.0 %

amount that healed others:
- monk: 7.222.240
- paladin: 2.573.968

every try on h vizier we have logged, I did between twice or almost 3 times his healing on the raid. It's just a whole other league =p
90 Pandaren Monk

Demoralizing Banner does. 10% isn't much, but when you have multiple, it counts. It's also down for quite a while (15 seconds).

10% is really crap. And saying "multiple" just doesn't cut .. because under that assumption, 2 spirit link totens will be better than 2 banners, or 2 priest bubbles .. etc etc

even BrM avert harm is less crap than this .. and it's REALLY crap. It's very rare for me to use it.

and my point is that no cd atm is "mandatory". There's not an advantage like paladins had in firelands where they were the only one with a descent raid cds.

They are all watered down now, and non-healers versions of raid cds are really "okaish" to the point that it doesn't matter which one you have, because they will be usefull, but not gamebreaking. So it doesn't really matter which one you bring.

HLeap/Charge, demo shout+insane barrier for each exhale, block for all of his melee, and I take zero damage during F&V with barrier.

No, I can't keep my party alive, but I can shockwave+fear the Converted people, which is also a big deal. Inb4 leg sweep - it won't be up for every one, Shockwave definitely will.

warriors can deal with it better than paladins, that's for sure. And plz, leg sweep .. clash.

My point is that monks (and to a lesser extent, warrior) have a more diverse toolkit now than other tanks. In terms of simply "being able to tank fights", everyone is on par, but when you start to analize the small mechanics and perks of each tank, there are minor advantages/disadvantages.

But if I had to choose between bringing a monk or a warrior, my personal choice would be a monk, hands down. Simply because they can do everything the warrior can, and still bring a lot of raid healing to the table. Yes, I think that raid healing is superior to RC in 10 mans. Specially when any dps warrior can bring said RC, but no other monk can bring guard statue + AH.

in my opinion those 4 tanks are like this (as usual I don't talk about druids =D)

- monks:
high survivability,
extremelly high raid healing,
high mobility,
versatile to handle magic, absorb or physical mechanics on the fly.

- DK:
very high survivability,
okaish raid utility with BRs + AMZ,
low mobility,

- Warriors:
high survivability,
okaish raid utility with RC + banners,
high mobility,

- Paladins:
high survivability,
descent raid utility with BoPs and other mechanics, descent raid healing
low mobility,
limited to handle different mechanics, since they rely too much on long CDs.

They all have pros and cons. In the end it's really about the player, since the differences are very marginal.

If you ask me, I'd rather have monk + warrior in our group than monk + pally. Simply because I like that combo more than the others.

My top picks atm would be:
1st. monk + warrior
2nd. monk + pally
3rd. DK + warrior
4th. DK + pally
5th. DK + monk
6th. warrior + pally

no, I'd never pick a druid as a tank in any situation if I could, specially in 10 mans =)

And no, I don't think sharing tier is a problem .. and tanks don't get tier before dpsers anyway.
Edited by Leeflow on 11/26/2012 9:29 AM PST
90 Troll Druid
Why would you take a puny humanoid shield toting weakling when you could have a motherf-cking BEAR
90 Pandaren Monk
Whats wrong with bears? Don't have one but that ruins my motivation to level one...

And umm, Clash is garbage. It simply doesn't work. Its cool the 3% of the time it does though.
90 Pandaren Warrior
11/26/2012 01:42 PMPosted by Dwyanewade
Why would you take a puny humanoid shield toting weakling when you could have a motherf-cking BEAR

Even though pandas aren't really bears, I'm still a mother!@#$ing bear.
90 Orc Death Knight
If a DK knows how to play his class... (so much more then the Ds spam .. that half theses forums think.. :// ))

He is a candy cane of lolipop if played well ;P.
But it is an awareness game as a DK.
90 Pandaren Monk
The problem of bears if that they don't have a "niche". Name one fight where you said "man I wished we had a bear to tank this".

But I remember a dozen times where I thought, "a monk/dk/paladin/warrior would be awesome for this fight". They are perfectly fine for 25 mans .. And they can tank 10 mans just fine, I just think they are boring and don't bring anything interesting to the group that any other tank can't do better.

Druids on 10 man? moonkin or resto. Those specs of druids are perfect for 10 mans.

Again, it's my personal opinion, it's not a law or anything.

Whats wrong with bears? Don't have one but that ruins my motivation to level one...

And umm, Clash is garbage. It simply doesn't work. Its cool the 3% of the time it does though.

umm ... no it isn't.

Clash has 3 bugs, granted:
- it doesn't work on mobs imune to "grip" mechanics (which happens with deathgrip as well).
- mobs performing another scripted action ... if the mob is doing something special, like sleeping or something, he doesn't get pulled and you land your charge midway.
- it doesnt work well when you are jumping/falling.

those are bugs, obviously .. are should be fixed, but saying "it simply doesn't work" is ridiculous. I use it all the time with the desired result (aka stunning the group).
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
11/27/2012 07:30 AMPosted by Leeflow
moonkin or resto. Those specs of druids are perfect for 10 mans.
Moonkin. lol.
90 Night Elf Druid
11/22/2012 12:28 PMPosted by Invincibull
I haven't tanked in a while and I'd like to know what is the best current class for tanking MoP raid content? I realize that specific battles favor certain classes. I'm looking at the overall picture. Thanks in advance for your replies.

I tank on several different classes and in my opinion, DKs and Druids are an optimal combination in most raids currently. Both are fairly stout, and get few complaints from compitent healers, while pulling competitive DPS. This combined with thier awesome AoE abilites make them pretty relevent together. I am sure other Tank classes and combos are just as good, as it is generally more the player than the toon, but, friends that heal seem to like the DK/Drood combo a bit more than the other Tank classes out there.
90 Human Paladin
11/23/2012 06:43 AMPosted by Leeflow
One thing people are also not taking into account is that while a paladin can dish out a lot of healing, it's self healing .. while a monk can put out a good amount of self healing, but an absolutely obscene amount of raid healing. That is a very good "pro".
Have you never looked at the glyph of the battle healer, sends heals to the 3 lowest raid members...
90 Orc Death Knight
CLEARLY you guys are forgetting about Blood Worms.
90 Pandaren Monk
11/27/2012 08:22 AMPosted by Whatsaggro
One thing people are also not taking into account is that while a paladin can dish out a lot of healing, it's self healing .. while a monk can put out a good amount of self healing, but an absolutely obscene amount of raid healing. That is a very good "pro".
Have you never looked at the glyph of the battle healer, sends heals to the 3 lowest raid members...

healing done by:
Guard 5656554
Chi Burst 2201032

Healing done on:
Leeflow 3667036 33.7 %
Justice 1968428 18.1 %
Net 1685165 15.5 %
Cmdtfrazao 1110022 10.2 %
Råfael 543427 5.0 %
Dupret 511276 4.7 %
Rethy 462233 4.2 %
Vampiralce 320192 2.9 %
Canino 314746 2.9 %
Razielggcp 306751 2.8 %

Healing done by:
Battle Insight 2573968

Healing done on:
Justice 4431719 63.3 %
Vampiralce 739824 10.6 %
Razielggcp 363494 5.2 %
Canino 296583 4.2 %
Råfael 268727 3.8 %
Leeflow 241552 3.4 %
Cmdtfrazao 201276 2.9 %
Dupret 197476 2.8 %
Net 115594 1.7 %
Xuen 77895 1.1 %
Rethy 71547 1.0 %

amount that healed others:
- monk: 7.222.240
- paladin: 2.573.968
90 Tauren Druid
I believe Dks and druids are still considered the best overall tanks for 2 reasons.

1) The healing they can do to themselves is simply insane, on elegon I've done well over 20k hps with FR, granted its buffed by the aura, but still 20k hps is just insane. Same goes with Dks, our dk tank will heal himself for 12-15k hps on any fight with heavy sustained tank damage.

2) Just the overall damage mitigation, druids obviously have the highest EH pools atm thanks to their mastery, currently I'm reforged into mastery (though crit is probably better but because I also dps single tank fights i go mastery) and run somehwhere close to 100k armor, which is about 68% physical damage reduction.
Blood dks have the largest HP pool and their blood shield on fights like will can be stacked to very high numbers while they aren't taking a lot of damage, and on progression fights with high tank damage purgatory is just a god like talent.

Granted pallys and warriors aren't terrible, they are both actually pretty good, its simply that if your looking for the best dks/druids are slightly better. Pallys can however do a massive amount of healing if they know what they are doing.

Monks in general though are probably the worst, with no armor increase, and the fact that stagger until purifing brew doesn't actually prevent any damage is a poor design mechanic and in all likelihood as progression continues and bosses hit harder at some point they are going to need a mechanic change.
90 Human Rogue
I've said it before, and the next time this topic comes up I may say it again. DKs are the best tanks. Why? Because we get to use a big two handers sword/axe/or if no other choice a lame mace. Yes monks and bears use 2 handed staves. But as we all know swords > staves. Therefore, by my flawless logic, DKs are the best tanks.
90 Undead Death Knight
overall for this tier it's dk/monk imo.

I see alot of monks are squishy stuff but they seem pretty sturdy to me if you are at least haflway decent, do good dps, and bring great utility

blood is pretty sturdy, does good dps - has great survivability- however our raid utilty could use a bit of love.

I'd kill to at least bring the equivalent of paw/might or even a sunder.
Edited by Dkaye on 11/27/2012 11:14 AM PST
90 Troll Druid
Well, i think that bears are going to be a lot better in 5.1, if the new passive Thoot and Claw:
http://ptr.wowhead.com/spell=135288

Reduces a noticeable amount of damage when we are off tanking.
90 Tauren Druid
11/27/2012 11:07 AMPosted by Dkaye
I'd kill to at least bring the equivalent of paw/might or even a sunder.

Why does Horn of Winter not count exactly?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]