1500 valor to upgrade an item

90 Tauren Druid
I'm trying not to jump to conclusions here, so if I'm off base I'd be pleased to hear about it. The ability to upgrade items with valor seems like a nice idea but... holy !@#$ that's alot of valor.

When i get a piece of gear, I try to make the most of it. For me, this means getting an enchantment for it.... reforging it... putting a gem or two in it and now i supposed it also means grinding out 1500 valor to fully upgrade it. For every piece? yikes!.

Lets see if my math holds up... 16 equipable slots... x 1500 valor per slot is... 24,000 valor to upgrade every item. At 5 valor per daily... that's 4800 dailies? Is this what Blizzard wants us to do? with all the people complaining about grindy dailies, this is what they decide to implement?

Blizzard got rid of helm enchants because it was "mandatory" and forced people to run dungeons who didn't want to. What on earth is this then? the helmet enchants provided a stat upgrade to a single item and were considered "mandatory" by blizzard. the new valor system provides stat upgrades to multiple items. Does blizzard not consider it mandatory?

For the helmet enchants you had to grind out exalted on one toon. every time you got an upgrade form then on, the enchantment could be had for 90g. EEZy-PEEZy. hell you could even mail it to your alts. With the new upgrade system, everytime you replace a piece..... 1500 valor. on mains, on alts on anything... 1500 valor.

I'm discouraged already.
Reply Quote
61 Pandaren Mage
Raid, get better drops, no need to upgrade all your gear with VP. Figure it out, man.
Reply Quote
I thought it was 750 in the PTR...
Wow.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
11/27/2012 04:44 PMPosted by Mèlissa
Raid, get better drops, no need to upgrade all your gear with VP. Figure it out, man.

So by your logic there's no need to gem or enchant gear either?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
CFT
This is why you don't upgrade literally every piece, only the heroic ones you won't replace until later (as in next tier)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I thought it was 750 in the PTR...
Wow.

epic gear can be upgraded twice. each step is 750 valor
Reply Quote
61 Pandaren Mage
11/27/2012 04:45 PMPosted by Poliwag

What do you think the item upgrade is, exactly?
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
1500 Valor * 18 Pieces of Gear =27000 Valor total
27000 Valor / 1000 Cap per week = 27 weeks
27 weeks / 4 weeks in a month = 6.75 Months
Total time to max all gear 6.75 months
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

What do you think the item upgrade is, exactly?

an upgrade an improvement to your existing gear. Regardless of whether or not and upgrade for your character exists somewhere out in the world of warcraft... most guilds expect their members to improve the gear the do have through any means they can. Most guilds that I've played with ask their members to gem and enchant their gear. Similarly, these guilds will now be expecting their members to be capping valor every week for the purposes of upgrading their items.

I'm ok with capping valor for the first few weeks or so of an expansion to buy select valor pieces that are well itemized for my class (with each tier in cata came a few new pieces at the valor vendors) I'm not thrilled to be having to cap valor every week for.... months in order to upgrade all my gear. seems rough
Edited by Poliwag on 11/27/2012 4:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
11/27/2012 04:54 PMPosted by Aveliena

I wont be upgrading my shirt or tabard! 16 is enough for me :P
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Is it even worth upgrading? 8 points seems useless.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
11/27/2012 04:56 PMPosted by Poliwag

I wont be upgrading my shirt or tabard! 16 is enough for me :P

so it would be

24kttl /1k cap per week =24 weeks or 6 months
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
11/27/2012 04:56 PMPosted by Buffyumyum
Is it even worth upgrading? 8 points seems useless.

for a 496 helm you're looking at like ~140 more stam, ~80 more of a primary stat, and ~100 of secondary stats... so yah its worth at least as much as most enchantments.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
You do all realize they removed the standard valor vendor, and added rep vendors. ... This was supposed to be out at release.

You complain like you need to spend valor at all. You don't. Save it up, when you get a piece of gear thats super good, upgrade it. Or dont. You can still progress without it
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Zomg ur right... only 600 random dungeons! Good thing i cant tank or heal. It sure would suck to sit through 600 dps ques on a mage or something.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
11/27/2012 05:04 PMPosted by Concequence
You complain like you need to spend valor at all. You don't. Save it up, when you get a piece of gear thats super good, upgrade it. Or dont. You can still progress without it

You're right, you don't need to upgrade all your gear to progress. But in that same vein, you dont need to enchant or gem your gear. You don't need to reforge or consider the itemization of your gear. You don't need to take food buffs of use flasks or dps pots on fights.

If blizzard decided to increase the mats required to perform enchantments by a factor of 1,000 I'm sure alot of people would decide not to use them and they would be considered "optional" Would that be a good decision for blizzard to make?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Thanks for the additional time sink. No really, I enjoy random loot drops that then need more investment into them so that I can stay competitive. Enchanting, gemming and reforging wasn't enough of an investment time sink, so I'm thrilled we now get yet another option. Thanks Blizzard.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]