Bear/cat form art removal

90 Night Elf Druid
If core mechanics are so important, why did Blizzard remove the huntards' ability to ninja my weapons? That's been a core mechanic since vanilla, when I started this game. Thankfully, they can still ninja my tank trinkets.
Edited by Wildkin on 12/6/2012 7:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
The real question is why you want to play a druid without shapeshifting. It's our signature!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
The only believable Druid Race for this suggestion would be Worgen.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Honestly, the only reason I can think of not to do this is PVP. If you can't recognize a druid as a bear/cat immediately, then people would whine (and let's not forget that this is the same reason they took our costumes away).

I wouldn't use it, you wouldn't use it, but a humanoid form that's halfway between man and beast could be cool. The caster could have bear or cat arms, sort of like Malfurion's feathery arms (or a worgen's transformation animation).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
12/06/2012 07:52 AMPosted by Wildkin
If core mechanics are so important, why did Blizzard remove the huntards' ability to ninja my weapons? That's been a core mechanic since vanilla, when I started this game. Thankfully, they can still ninja my tank trinkets.

You really thing that hunter carrying around a polearm stat stick was as vital to the class as a feral druid being in cat form?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/07/2012 05:40 AMPosted by Vêxx
You really thing that hunter carrying around a polearm stat stick was as vital to the class as a feral druid being in cat form?

No, I was showing the other hunter that I could also be mean spirited and asinine.

While we're on the topic of core mechanics, pvp, and hunters, should we go ahead and discuss the lack of a hunter dead zone? How about the ability to shoot while moving? Or never running out of ammo? All of those could be considered core mechanics that have been in the game since vanilla, yet were changed by blizzard.

As far as druids and pvp, moonkin and tree of life forms were immune to polymorph at one point. That was new. Then it went away. This game is always evolving and changing. I assure you the developers know about this discussion and have probably had it themselves. I bet quite a few of them are tired of looking at a giant bear butt 24/7. Take a look at our minor glyphs:

Stars - Your Moonkin Form now appears as Astral Form, conferring all the same benefits, but appearing as an astrally enhanced version of your normal humanoid form. Chameleon - Each time you shapeshift into Cat Form or Bear Form, your shapeshifted form will have a random hair color. Cheetah - Your Travel Form appears as a Cheetah. This glyph will prevent Glyph of the Stag from functioning. Orca - Your Aquatic Form now appears as an Orca. Stag - Your Travel Form can now be used as a mount by party members. This glyph is disabled while Glyph of the Cheetah is active. Treant - Teaches you the ability Treant Form. Shapeshift into Treant Form.

All this talk about the look and type of humanoid form is just splitting hairs. Blizzard has already given Mighty Bash to other forms. (Invokes the spirit of Ursoc to stun the target for 5 sec. Useable in all shapeshift forms.) Oh no, a cat that briefly turn into a bear on screen and bashes with paws? Hurry, get to Darnassus before it sinks into the ocean! How would a humanoid use claw attacks? Hmmmm, how does a Monk use Flying Serpent Kick or Spinning Crane Kick? Do they turn into animals?

There's an idea, dailies for druids that comprise animalistic fighting styles. The reward after x days of training is a minor glyph that states - the druid is able to invoke the spirit of beasts while in humanoid form. I have great faith that the Blizzard team can come up with something to satisfy the seemingly rabid core mechanic crowd out there. They sold us a Kung-Fu Panda expansion for goodness sake.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Zen
IS IT A WARRIOR? NO ITS A ROGUE! OH WAIT.. ITS A MONK! *dies*
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
SoF
12/07/2012 05:08 PMPosted by Wildkin
How about the ability to shoot while moving?

I've been running and gunning with arcane shot all my life.

Or never running out of ammo?

There was already a bow doing that.

Hmmmm, how does a Monk use Flying Serpent Kick or Spinning Crane Kick? Do they turn into animals?

Clearly has not read/watch any chinese martial art material.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
12/07/2012 11:50 PMPosted by Irøh
I've been running and gunning with arcane shot all my life.

It used to be limited by mana. Then it got a cooldown. And your response to the deadzone?

There was already a bow doing that.

One bow in the whole game? Seriously?

Clearly has not read/watch any chinese martial art material.

Clearly you didn't read the part where I suggested that druids learn martial arts from our leather wearing monk brethren.
Reply Quote
5 Tauren Druid
12/06/2012 11:29 AMPosted by Fraley
The real question is why you want to play a druid without shapeshifting. It's our signature!

If that's the case why did we lose our tree of life form in Cata? Why do we have a glyph that removes moonkin form? Why the double standards?
Reply Quote
40 Orc Warlock
I've not seen Malfurion mangle/rake/bash as a humanoid.
Don't see it happen ever.
Reply Quote
56 Worgen Druid
Ugh no. Being able to shapeshift into animals is what drew me to this class when I was a brand new player.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
So ... if you like the feral forms, don't use the glyph. Read much?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
11/28/2012 05:15 AMPosted by Wildkin
(All of you purists out there can stay furry).

You roll a druid class for the amazing abilitie to transform into fun and exciting aninals.

You dont roll druids to be a feral druid scratching people in normal form.. We arent drunk girls having a catfight we are druids?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Id
Better fix:

Current models in the game:

Flame cat (obtained from Fandral's Flamescythe when equipped and in combat). Ways to make this work = effect works when item is in a player's bag. Or if Blizzard wants to add a set of content to this, make it a quest through a phasing Firelands for a Druid to do solo. Or the best one is to make it a glyph (albeit you'd have to create a new Glyph).

As far as bear forms go, I'm not quite sure what pre-existing model Blizzard can use. As a sidenote, wtb animations for a feral/guardian druid when I have my Challenge Mode armor.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Interesting idea. Fire cat / earth bear? It still doesn't address the armor issue. The armor and weapons are so great in a this game. The developers are obviously proud of it and came up with transmog as a way to keep the art alive even after all these years. Wouldn't you like to be able to show off that challenge mode armor? Always armored ferals?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Interesting idea. Fire cat / earth bear? It still doesn't address the armor issue. The armor and weapons are so great in a this game. The developers are obviously proud of it and came up with transmog as a way to keep the art alive even after all these years. Wouldn't you like to be able to show off that challenge mode armor? Always armored ferals?

I'll admit that I find the idea of having some of my armor on the out side of my forms intriguing - shoulders alone would look cool, maybe a helm ... but not sure I'd like to see my cat clad in armor, like the Incarnation spell effect would be ok.
Honestly though, I'm happy with the forms since they were updated (especially troll forms, reason why I switched from tauren :D).

You can argue that so many things have changed since vanilla, but there really is nothing more iconic than the druid forms (imo).
Of course if they could do what you said (make the forms removable with a glyph) but that would bring up other problems, like:
How do you know what forms he's in? would need something to differentiate between caster form so you know what your looking at.
Do you still count as a beast even though your walking and attacking on 2 legs?
Rake/Shred/mangle/Rip while holding a 2 handed staff/Halberd? (the halberd kinda makes sense, but the staff?)
ect ~

So much work would be required. And considering how much work blizzard have on their plate already, something like this would be a very low priority (especially after going through all the work to update the forms in the first place)

But always armored ferals? I could dig it, but like I said, I really do like the renewed forms.
And the forms were what drew me to druids in the first place, I'd vote leave them be.
Edited by Llamalaugh on 12/10/2012 7:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
you're a discrase. Go play a rogue
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
12/10/2012 07:36 AMPosted by Chompy
you're a discrase. Go play a rogue

I would very much like to be able to see my transmog in my feral forms.

The input regarding the mighty bash animation is an amazing way of looking at the idea overall and how blizz might approach the issue.

A druid is a role shifter, that just happens to have different forms (stances anyone?) Associated with each role.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the op's idea. The only thing even remotely on the radar regarding why it SHOULDN'T be allowed are the (potential) pvp issues. However, a pvper plays pvp to pvp. They adapt to all changes the game throws at them. Why? Because they know that as the competition adapts, so must they, or get stomped on.

Pvpers will (maybe) whine, but will adapt andovercome.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I see no harm in giving the option.

I'd rather have the option of old bear form, or making the current bear form bigger.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]