Illegal or not?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
#1 rule of rping a warlock: don't have your demon out in cities. The same being for DK's and their undead minions. But are these things really illegal or just looked down upon?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
It really depends on which city, i'd imagine. If you have a demon out in Orgrimmar, you'd probably get gutted and dumped in Thunder Ridge. In Thunder Bluff, the Tauren probably would just not appreciate it. They most likely would refuse to sell to you, but nothing more than that and disapproving glances. In Undercity, nobody would really care, and in Silvermoon, you'd probably be arrested or something.

For Alliance cities, all would probably arrest you, if the public didn't stone you to death first >.>
Reply Quote
70 Human Paladin
As far as I know, there is no law against me walking a wild grizzly bear down the street of my hometown. Doesn't mean the cops won't shoot it and/or arrest me for endangering the public.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
A quite from Metzen at blizzcon

If you're just rolling around Azeroth and you're down in the cheese shop chilling and you see a voidwalker, that is not a normal thing. Demons almost blew up the world "2.5 times, to my count." You suck it up as a necessary game convention. It's not great for lore but you have to facilitate gameplay.

I beleive he went on to say if you saw a voidwalker in Stormwind no one would stop and say "what a lovely shade of blue" they would probably scream bloody murder and have half the city guard come down and chop you to bits. Or something like that.

Probably same with undead.

So really no argument here. yes it is illegal.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
Illegal in almost all Alliance cities - I'd make a claim that Gnomeregan would have a bit looser policy concerning it for the simple fact that it could lean toward study and intellectual advancement, in a controlled environment.

Horde cities...

Undercity, Silvermoon (in certain areas) and... whatever the goblin city is called would all probably be fine with demons being... not 'loose' but, out and controlled. Undead in Silvermoon would be a no-go anywhere though.
Reply Quote
1 Human Rogue
11/30/2012 07:07 PMPosted by Istella
As far as I know, there is no law against me walking a wild grizzly bear down the street of my hometown. Doesn't mean the cops won't shoot it and/or arrest me for endangering the public.

I'm so attracted to you right now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Apologies for the use of Godwins law, but having demons out and such in cities are likely going to have the same effect of dressing like a !@#$ and running around in public. Demons have killed thousands of people, and have tried destroying the world of Azeroth multiple times. It's bound to be a touchy subject, and people going all 'but they're my friends, they're harmless!' are bound to get you tossed into the loony bin.

Either that, or burnt at the stake for being a demon lover.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I'd say it depends on what part of the city you're in. If you're in the mage's quarter of Stormwind for example, or better yet the Slaughtered Lamb, I doubt many people would care, especially if your demon was just standing around waiting for you to give it an order.

However, take a stroll through the Trade or Cathedral districts and you'd probably be taken down faster than you can say "where's my green fire?"

I just assume having a DK Ghoul minion out is never a good idea unless you're out in the wilderness or in Acherus.
Reply Quote
36 Undead Priest
12/02/2012 11:45 AMPosted by Hadhan
"where's my green fire?"

Where's my gr-
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
11/30/2012 06:26 PMPosted by Gulthrom
It really depends on which city, i'd imagine. If you have a demon out in Orgrimmar, you'd probably get gutted and dumped in Thunder Ridge.

Actually, my good sir, Garrosh has deemed public use of warlockery quite legal.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Req
11/30/2012 06:03 PMPosted by Ryaxus
The same being for DK's and their undead minions
Why is this exactly? Can't people accept the concept that undead minions are a necessary thing for leveling? Why must you add in unnecessary details into the rp session such as having your minion follow you around? It's one player with another player rping with one another. Can't the non-death knight just ignore the existence of the Death Knight's ghoul until the Death Knight makes mention of it?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
12/02/2012 02:52 PMPosted by Trenk
Actually, my good sir, Garrosh has deemed public use of warlockery quite legal.

Really now?

... So far he's a lot more progressive a Warchief than Thrall.
Reply Quote
89 Human Paladin
It also depends on the server to an extent.

We have some guilds which RP law enforcement -- obviously the whole server has to pitch in for it to be a convention of our RP that works, and sometimes it doesn't. BUT we did have a thread in our forums where we discussed what laws were in Stormwind and how they would be enforced and it was agreed that having your demon or undead out in the city was illegal (excepting beneath the Slaughtered Lamb, not that law enforcement ever goes there. :P)
Reply Quote
72 Blood Elf Mage
12/05/2012 09:15 PMPosted by Crayauchtin
It also depends on the server to an extent.

The lore is the same on every server. Sure it help to have a bit of public shaming from a guild of guards that pester "loud and proud" warlocks. But really no warlock should have a pet out in Stormwind on any server.

12/02/2012 02:52 PMPosted by Trenk
warlockery

New favorite word. I usually call my friends of any gender "witches" when they do something cool. Now I shall exclaim "what is this warlockery??"
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
And What about the Elementals? Is there any law against having your Primal Earth elemental run through town screaming?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Actually, as I understand it, Death Knights are accepted... or tolerated... or, at least, not executed on sight by the authorities when civilized areas. The King made a pronouncement and all that. Part of it has to do with Death Knights being a lot more, mmm, obvious than a warlock.

A warlock can put on a different robe and not reek of hellfire and brimstone. A death knight is still a walking corpse, no matter what armor she's wearing.

Although I imagine it's wtill somewhat impolitic to run around with a ghoul following you.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
12/06/2012 07:25 AMPosted by Dyrwolfe
And What about the Elementals? Is there any law against having your Primal Earth elemental run through town screaming?

For Alliance they'd only be getting nervous glances in Stormwind.

For Horde... they'd be getting hungry glances from Blood Elves and goblins.

Actually, as I understand it, Death Knights are accepted... or tolerated... or, at least, not executed on sight by the authorities when civilized areas. The King made a pronouncement and all that. Part of it has to do with Death Knights being a lot more, mmm, obvious than a warlock.

A warlock can put on a different robe and not reek of hellfire and brimstone. A death knight is still a walking corpse, no matter what armor she's wearing.

Although I imagine it's wtill somewhat impolitic to run around with a ghoul following you.

Almost forgot to address this.

While it's true they were pardoned, publicly, by the King/Warchief, you gotta take perception into account. It's been long enough now that Death Knights have distinguished themselves to the forces of the Alliance that only the most diehard will still despise them and try to string 'em up. And at the same time, it'll be a lot easier to generate the mob mentality needed to go after a Death Knight because the wounds are still a little bit raw from Northrend.

But the majority would more than likely tolerate the presence of Death Knights without fully accepting them. Some soldiers might accept Death Knights more after witnessing acts of nigh-suicidal heroism by a Death Knight to save a squad from destruction, but the majority of citizens would treat a Death Knight with a healthy amount of fear and tolerance, the minority would actively despise a Death Knight.

EDIT:

And in the case of some races they'll probably never be accepted or tolerated: Night Elves and Blood Elves being the ones that immediately leap to mind.
Edited by Maoseitun on 12/6/2012 10:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Req
12/06/2012 10:38 AMPosted by Maoseitun
And at the same time, it'll be a lot easier to generate the mob mentality needed to go after a Death Knight because the wounds are still a little bit raw from Northrend.
Yeah I'm not so sure that that would happen. Remember that Death Knights were practically trained to kill citizens. If anyone knows anything about Death Knights it'd be not to create a mob to get rid of them. I think if anything the general populace would be afraid of them. That said there's no reason for them not to be afraid of them, their entire being is about this type of stuff. In order to discourage fear about them they'd have to be the exact opposite of themselves, which is well impossible as long as they're alive. They're practically living embodiments of death itself.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
12/06/2012 11:04 AMPosted by Vynathlon
Yeah I'm not so sure that that would happen. Remember that Death Knights were practically trained to kill citizens. If anyone knows anything about Death Knights it'd be not to create a mob to get rid of them. I think if anything the general populace would be afraid of them. That said there's no reason for them not to be afraid of them, their entire being is about this type of stuff. In order to discourage fear about them they'd have to be the exact opposite of themselves, which is well impossible as long as they're alive. They're practically living embodiments of death itself.

If the citizens come after the Death Knight, and the Death Knight kills - even in self-defense, how do you think guards, soldiers, etc. are going to treat the spectacle of a bloodied Death Knight standing over the carcasses of a bunch of civilians?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]