5.1 Thought we could solo old content now?

(Locked)

100 Human Paladin

Moving forward, though, we do not plan to adjust encounters for tougher raid bosses to be solo’able by all classes and specs.

Just Mages, Locks and Hunters.

lol
100 Draenei Hunter
What we did change were encounters that were mechanically impossible for one person to accomplish

It's mechanically impossible for me to generate ice damage to solo Viscidus.

I was actually able to solo the twins after 15 minutes because I did just barely enough dps to do more than they heal for. But I can't do Viscidus solo. It's mechanically impossible.

No it isn't "mechanically impossible" to do frost damage as a priest. I'll enlighten you. You use mindspike to do frost damage as a priest. The melee stage you pop shadowfiend and melee with your weapon to end the fight. :)
Edited by Reactable on 12/4/2012 12:56 PM PST
90 Human Paladin
party of tree recommended should be good .
90 Human Death Knight
I'm highly disappointed in this. I was hoping old content WOULD be made soloable so that I wouldn't have to inconvenience other people by asking them to come do this stuff with me because I can't do it on my own.

Well, there goes THAT novel plan.
95 Pandaren Shaman
12/02/2012 05:02 PMPosted by Verasia
I soloed Naxxramas, minus Patchwerk, wayy too much damage, and Kel'thuzad, who's mechanics require more than one person.

I solod KT on my lock (Without a pet, since he would freeze me if my pet got agro)
Both of those bosses have been soloable since cata. Bad players will be Bad Players I guess . You can buy weapons that do only frost damage from a vyrkul vendor in the Storm Peaks. Easily soloable. Twins were always easy to kill as well.
I would like to see Razorgore the Untamed nerfed, currently if you are a pet class you must dismiss your pet ( which is utter BS, IMO) to mind control Razorgore.
what about patchwerk that's kinda not soloable for most non plate classes and seeing how you PUT A PET in that wing how are we to get one pay a plate class 50K?
90 Orc Hunter
Made it all the way to Illidan, but I just could not get pass his Flames of Azzinoth attack.

But really it was the run all the way back that did me in. It takes roughly if you stop for repairs 15 minutes to get back to him.

Tank them on the grate in the ground. They won't enrage there.

I cleared BWL, Sunwell, Black Temple, Tempest Keep, SSC, Hyjal, and solo'd 25 man Leviathan this past week. All of which were done without a single death.

I may try AQ 40 now that I see they have made C'Thun not insta-kill me when he swallows me. The hardest boss, for me, was Lady Vashj. Getting the (4) items to unlock her was a pain and by the time she was released, she was as tall as the room. She wasted my pet, and I got a feign off just as I got my Stampede and Beast out. Was close, but phew ... was it rough.

Also, what's the deal with pets not using their "taunt" ability on bosses in these raids? Felmyst was a pain in the rear because the pet simply wouldn't taunt!
90 Orc Hunter
Both of those bosses have been soloable since cata. Bad players will be Bad Players I guess . You can buy weapons that do only frost damage from a vyrkul vendor in the Storm Peaks. Easily soloable. Twins were always easy to kill as well.
I would like to see Razorgore the Untamed nerfed, currently if you are a pet class you must dismiss your pet ( which is utter BS, IMO) to mind control Razorgore.

Razorgore has been soloable by Hunters forever. Now it's extremely easy to solo him. So what if you don't have your pet ... it's not needed to beat him.

Razorgore has been soloable by Hunters forever. Now it's extremely easy to solo him. So what if you don't have your pet ... it's not needed to beat him.

Ya till the 6 adds beating on him kill him every time when you only have 3 eggs to go.
100 Orc Warrior
12/04/2012 11:57 AMPosted by Inazus
Darn. Now I'll never get the pet Viscidus drops

Farm the bosses you can do, sell your duplicate pets, buy the ones you need off the AH with the money you make.
90 Orc Hunter

Ya till the 6 adds beating on him kill him every time when you only have 3 eggs to go.

I'm sorry that you fail at solo'ing a very soloable boss. I've killed him quite easily with only 1.5 mind controls on both my Hunter and Warlock.

You're a Mage, it should be extremely easy for you.
90 Worgen Warlock
12/02/2012 05:02 PMPosted by Verasia
Kel'thuzad, who's mechanics require more than one person.

Hm. It's actually easier to do with one person. One person = No ice block. Pet classes have the worst trouble with him since you have to do it without a pet, not impossible but just very irritating.
12/04/2012 01:22 PMPosted by Rayo

Not true! I just did it 2 days ago. Kill the 3 adds on the platform, MC him, kill closest eggs to platform, working your way away... when MC wears off, aoe down adds on you, MC again, kill more eggs, rinse, repeat. It might take more than one try, but it's far from impossible.
60 Goblin Warlock
Was running through the Temple of Ahn'whatever (Classic Raid), and realized there are two bosses we cannot solo due to mechanics...

The green ooze dude (needs ice magic), and the twins that you have to keep away from each other.

Did I read the patch notes wrong or something, or did they on fix BC and Wrath raids?

Blizz?

This is coming from personal experience and knowledge of the mechanics, from the perspective of an Arms Warrior and Windwalker/Mistweaver Monk. All raids described that can be 10-man, are.

Molten Core
Entirely soloable, as it has been for years.

Blackwing Lair
Cooldown on Destroy Egg reduced to ~1 second, mind control is no longer interrupted. You either need to be capable of killing adds without hurting the boss too much, or doing the entire encounter before the adds overwhelm you or the boss.

The rest is entirely soloable.

Ruins of Ahn'Qiraj
Entirely soloable, has been for years.

Temple of Ahn'Qiraj
Viscidus requires significantly less frost hits to freeze, melee hits to shatter, and you have a larger window to accomplish this in. Use Frost Oil, enchant weapons with Deathfrost, or look up other methods to do frost damage.

The heal for Twin Emperors has 1 second longer cooldown than before. Even before the nerf, it was entirely possible to out DPS the heal at level 90 in low-end gear. (Note, be sure to hit the other emperor at least once with some kind of damaging ability, or else he may despawn when slain and you will not get that half of the loot.)

C'thun no longer instantly kills you in his stomach. The fight is self-explanatory beyond that. Note that this fight was technically soloable for several years now by bringing Ouro into the room and bugging the encounter.

Karazhan
Soloable for years.

Magtheridon's Lair
Soloable for years.

Gruul's Lair
Fairly certain it has been soloable for a while now. I personally have a little trouble with the first boss, but honestly it's not that bad. Kill either the mage or the healer first (mage if you have the DPS to zerg it down fast enough, healer if not). It's extremely important you get a kill early on or the CC will start to chain up into deadly combos.

Tempest Keep
Soloable, make sure you do not have any pets, guardians, or similar during the Kael'Thas fight. Blood Worms, Ghost Iron Dragonling, etc. He'll mind control you.

I recommend killing the mage first, because her control is by far the worst of the four due to the powerful CC.

Serpentshrine Cavern
Have not tried, I imagine a majority of it is soloable. Vashj might be tricky.

Battle for Mount Hyjal
Don't know if it's soloable, but I'm sure it is. I've only 2-manned it, and I started doing that last expansion. Melee will have a very frustrating time dealing with the flying mobs.

Black Temple
First boss's shield is gone (or weaker? I forget what they said, and I haven't yet gone in there myself).

Reliquary's Spirit Shock is on a longer cooldown.

I'd imagine the other fights are soloable without much issue, though you might need a decent amount of DPS to kill them before they simply overwhelm you. Bloodboil comes to mind.

Sunwell Plateau
Unless I missed something, first boss is definitely not soloable. Since I've never intentionally skipped him before, I don't know whether or not other bosses are active until this one is dead.

Naxxramas
In 10-man, I was able to solo the entirety of this place except for Military Quarter as a monk. It might be doable if you are extremely coordinated with Mind Controls, I only tried once to see if I could out-heal his damage knowing full well that wasn't going to work, didn't play with the MCs but I might this week.

Patchwerk... I think I went Mistweaver for that. I can't remember, but I solo'd him.

Gluth is easy if you have decent amount of damage. Zombies heal him for 5%, if you can do more than 5% per zombie you'll eventually kill him. Remember the stacking healing debuff. This is purely a DPS race.

Thaddius is easy, but the first phase is a little tricky. The other side's boss will come to your side. Be sure to kill them both as always - but remember since the Tesla Coil is not bound to the other mob, you'll be taking constant damage.

The other wings are easy, no tricks to them. Remember, Sapphiron and Kel'Thuzad are available without having to kill the remaining wings now, just click on the orb.

Kel'Thuzad's most devastating mechanics do not apply against only 1 person, but be sure you have enough self-sustain to survive through the adds at 40% and avoid Void Zones. Interrupts on Frostbolts make a big difference too.

Eye of Eternity
I was able to bring Malygos into his final phase with ease, but considering how little the damage is from the drakes and the fact that you are constantly the target for all of the mechanics, I did not even come close to killing him before he enraged and destroyed me. If I could find a way to push out more true DPS on him during the transition and did better at managing my abilities in the final phase, it might be doable.

Vault of Archavon
3 of the bosses were solo'd with ease, and I even put up a reasonable fight when I tried to solo that achievement to kill them all within a minute of each other. The Frost boss is likely not able to be solo'd without ways to drop the stacks, or without enough damage to kill him before it becomes overwhelming. I was demolished pretty quickly on this boss.

Obsidian Sanctum
I solo'd this back in WotLK without any drakes up - but I did bring a friend to help with the invincibility drake. Not sure whether or not someone else is needed.

Ulduar
I've heard the first boss can be solo'd, but I've never tried. When I decided to do this last week, I was going in there with a friend specifically to get my achievement for destroying a turret (so I needed a second person regardless). He left, and I managed to successfully solo Ignis, Razorscale, XT, Kologarn, Freya, Hodir, and... the crazy cat lady, whatever her name is. Thorim cannot be solo'd due to mechanics, and I don't think I'd be capable of doing Mimiron even if I could outheal his damage as a monk.

Trial of the Crusader
Not sure. I only tried to solo this once, and I couldn't quite outheal the damage by the time I got to the worm phase. The first boss of the Beasts of Northrend was tricky, maybe if I had some better gear.

Onyxia's Lair
I'm certain that it's soloable by the right class. I've only tried 2-manning it because we were going for a couple achieves, among them was summoning a ton of whelplings. That left us struggling the rest of the encounter, but I think in a more controlled run she would be doable. It would just take a lot of time and patience. No promises.

Icecrown Citadel
Though a few bosses are probably soloable, I know for certainty that the entire raid can be 2-manned on both Normal and Heroic 10-man.

Ruby Sanctum
Almost positive it isn't soloable, but easily 2-manned.

--

Anything in Cataclysm is probably too recent to be solo'd by the average player due to both recent mechanics and high output. 2-4 people is probably all that is required for a majority of the bosses, however. I personally 3-manned Magmaw and Omnitron with an 85 Warlock, a 90 Brewmaster, and myself as a 90 Mistweaver, but it was too late that night to go any further.
Edited by Shzeck on 12/4/2012 1:31 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Made it all the way to Illidan, but I just could not get pass his Flames of Azzinoth attack.

But really it was the run all the way back that did me in. It takes roughly if you stop for repairs 15 minutes to get back to him.

Tank them on the grate in the ground. They won't enrage there.

I cleared BWL, Sunwell, Black Temple, Tempest Keep, SSC, Hyjal, and solo'd 25 man Leviathan this past week. All of which were done without a single death.

I may try AQ 40 now that I see they have made C'Thun not insta-kill me when he swallows me. The hardest boss, for me, was Lady Vashj. Getting the (4) items to unlock her was a pain and by the time she was released, she was as tall as the room. She wasted my pet, and I got a feign off just as I got my Stampede and Beast out. Was close, but phew ... was it rough.

Also, what's the deal with pets not using their "taunt" ability on bosses in these raids? Felmyst was a pain in the rear because the pet simply wouldn't taunt!

Yeah I noticed that after the patch. It seems pretty hit or miss with pet taunts. Worked on Brutallus but then Felmyst wouldn't even pay attention to my pet.
90 Orc Hunter
12/04/2012 01:28 PMPosted by Gaddaffi

Not true! I just did it 2 days ago. Kill the 3 adds on the platform, MC him, kill closest eggs to platform, working your way away... when MC wears off, aoe down adds on you, MC again, kill more eggs, rinse, repeat. It might take more than one try, but it's far from impossible.

This is exactly how I did it. ^^^^^

Very easy and not complicated at all. It's about speed ... break those eggs as fast as possible.
Sometimes I wish I could use someone else's account to prove a point. *sigh*
12/01/2012 02:10 PMPosted by Sãd
nowhere in the patch did it say "you can solo old Raid content now, we've dumbed it down to just pew-pew for those of you that refuse to bother learning fight mechanics"

This.

I was doing Ulduar last night and realized I had no clue of the mechanics and wiped on several bosses before I figured out how to down them. Finally gave up on Freya because I just completely screwed that fight. Mimrion was tough as BM, but went fast as SV (AOE DPS FTW.)
90 Pandaren Monk
12/04/2012 11:42 AMPosted by Brennvin
We believe there was a lot of confusion when we originally announced this change and we're certainly at fault for said confusion. The original patch note was very vague to the point of being misleading.

Why not take more time proofreading patch notes for this sort of issue? It's not like the notes spring up on you the hour before the patch. This sort of change was planned for weeks, I would imagine. Seems like it'd be worth it to go back and reread the patch notes with a fresh set of eyes the day before the patch to look at it from players' POV.

That may be happening now. Obviously, I'm not privy to those details. But if so...do it twice? Or get a second pair of eyes to proof the notes, someone who doesn't know the details so they have to read them as players do.
90 Orc Rogue
Was running through the Temple of Ahn'whatever (Classic Raid), and realized there are two bosses we cannot solo due to mechanics...

The green ooze dude (needs ice magic), and the twins that you have to keep away from each other.

Did I read the patch notes wrong or something, or did they on fix BC and Wrath raids?

Blizz?

cant do twins?? .. just dps like mad

I killed em solo
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]