5.1 Thought we could solo old content now?

(Locked)

90 Pandaren Monk
We believe there was a lot of confusion when we originally announced this change and we're certainly at fault for said confusion. The original patch note was very vague to the point of being misleading. It was never our intent to weaken old raid boss encounters to allow anyone to have a chance to solo them, regardless of class, spec, or skill.

What we did change were encounters that were mechanically impossible for one person to accomplish, solely for the purpose of ensuring players have easier access to the hunt for the new rare companion pets -- the drop rates of which are actually set to account for a group of three players, not one.

Moving forward, though, we do not plan to adjust encounters for tougher raid bosses to be solo’able by all classes and specs.

So did you make it so I can solo gunship? Or are you being full of it?

I think you can with near perfect play - it will likely take a long time though. You need to go through groups of adds on a VERY fast respawn timer, and then also find time to shoot from the cannon.
85 Undead Priest
haven't read past page 1...

Visc can be killed without frost damage. I've done it on my druid with kitty spec. Frost dmg just makes it a lot easier.

Twins... Quite simple. Brace yourself against a wall. Either platform in a corner, does the job.
Then here's the key.... Melee kill the sword dude, Caster kill the other dude.. Ignore the counterpart and you win in a couple or three minutes.

Word of advice. you want to have the trash killed outside the boss room. the big guys particularly. If they are not dead, they come and help, and you will likely die from getting kicked around and what not.

C'thun.... Kill tentacles inside, avoid acid, stand on the solid ground, when puked out, burn him down.
90 Pandaren Monk

It's outdated content. We're going to outgear it eventually. Forcing a minimum size of 10 people to enter is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen proposed.

10, presumably level 90 characters, to kill a boss with 5 million HP... lol. Yeah, killing a boss in literally 5 seconds is SO much more epic than soloing!

---------

I mean, all this old content is just... sitting there not being used. Make it fun solo content for people and keep adding cool little things like pets to encourage people to get out there.
Edited by Twoplusone on 12/4/2012 2:53 PM PST
90 Pandaren Hunter
We believe there was a lot of confusion when we originally announced this change and we're certainly at fault for said confusion. The original patch note was very vague to the point of being misleading. It was never our intent to weaken old raid boss encounters to allow anyone to have a chance to solo them, regardless of class, spec, or skill.

What we did change were encounters that were mechanically impossible for one person to accomplish, solely for the purpose of ensuring players have easier access to the hunt for the new rare companion pets -- the drop rates of which are actually set to account for a group of three players, not one.

Moving forward, though, we do not plan to adjust encounters for tougher raid bosses to be solo’able by all classes and specs.

So now its mechanically possible for one person to solo them but you didn't make them soloable. Great, GREAT work guys. FYI You failed at doing that as well. Because mechanics still win VS classes without frost dmg.

So tired of your fails Blizz.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
12/04/2012 02:17 PMPosted by Vèngeance
Does any1 have a work around for hunters? As normal enchants like deathfrost cannot go on the weapon...

Beastmaster and Chimeara pet.

Bow from Storm Peaks.
85 Undead Priest
One more I want to add....
All raids from Classic to up and including ICC are soloable ALL encounters. Where existent even the 25 man versions. Those are basically just a gear check, and a bit of more skill.
Certain classes have done that for long already. The recent changes have just opened the door a bit further for all to get past certain mechanics.
Of course, if you're a healer, you likely have big problems. But thanks to acct wide achievements.... Bring your alt for that stuff.
100 Blood Elf Warlock
So wait, why was Reliquary of Souls adjusted? None of the bosses or mobs in Black Temple drop pets, do they?
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Halion the other day, I had to port back to org to find someone to dps on one side while I entered the shadow phase on that fight.

Last night Kalecgos fight stopped and he became immune.
85 Undead Priest

So now its mechanically possible for one person to solo them but you didn't make them soloable. Great, GREAT work guys. FYI You failed at doing that as well. Because mechanics still win VS classes without frost dmg.

he is talking about CATA raids...
What the hell you want? it's the last expansion raids, and they can be soloed by everyone who has decent gear, and the right skills.
Some bosses cannot be soloed, fine. Bring a friend or two and be done...
You know that kind of way how we done it since 2008....
90 Pandaren Monk

What the hell you want? it's the last expansion raids, and they can be soloed by everyone who has decent gear, and the right skills.

Does it impact you in any way if they slightly tweak certain mechanics in super old content so that they can be soloed by all classes? This isn't exactly cutting edge stuff we're talking about. It's for mini pets and 5 year old gear.
Edited by Twoplusone on 12/4/2012 3:03 PM PST
90 Blood Elf Rogue
So now its mechanically possible for one person to solo them but you didn't make them soloable. Great, GREAT work guys. FYI You failed at doing that as well. Because mechanics still win VS classes without frost dmg. So tired of your fails Blizz.

Then enchant, frost oil, or buy a weapon that does frost damage. I used frost oil and it worked just fine.
90 Night Elf Druid
those two are soloable (note one of the emperors is immune to magic attacks and the other physical)

HOWEVER the final boss, C'thun, is not due to the "stomach" mechanic.
85 Undead Priest
12/04/2012 02:59 PMPosted by Paliwings
Halion the other day, I had to port back to org to find someone to dps on one side while I entered the shadow phase on that fight.
haven't done halion, but from all info you find about soloing content, you can basically overpower him with dps.
You can do more dps than he can heal.

Generally saying...
If one really wants to solo stuff, one should thoroughly read up on advices about it, and then go and succeed.. If one gets into old content unprepared they honestly deserve to fail.

There are heaps of helpful info to be found. It's not that people started solo raid content just now. People start solo things way early, when the content is even still current.

Not a raid, but 5 man content.. yet I remember when I saw the vid from the DK who soloed Stonecore heroic, while the masses of us were still running through that as current content, and many people dying to either the drake or the stone guy.. and that DK didn't just solo them, no - he dragged em together and killed em both at the same time.
90 Blood Elf Rogue
those two are soloable (note one of the emperors is immune to magic attacks and the other physical)

You can solo C'thun easily.

edit: The stomach mechanic is not in place anymore.
Edited by Eneria on 12/4/2012 3:13 PM PST
85 Undead Priest

Does it impact you in any way if they slightly tweak certain mechanics in super old content so that they can be soloed by all classes? This isn't exactly cutting edge stuff we're talking about. It's for mini pets and 5 year old gear.

The guy I quoted was whining about the blues response which was a mix of old outdated content, that has been adjusted that really everyone can do it now.. which is fine..
And he also responded to the question about newer, still more difficult raid content, like Cata.. There is not change to that. And that's fine too. No need to dumb those down just yet.
We have always lived with all content the way it was, and beat it when we out-leveled and out geared it.
Blizzard followed our request to please let us get into the old content without the need for raid groups anymore. They gave us what we wanted, and have been nice enough to change a few obstacles along the way, which made it impossible to overcome at all, no matter how good geared we were, or how high of a level we had. And no matter how exceptionally skilled one was. it was simply impossible...
They've changed that. All whats left is stuff that can be done one way or another solo.
With the newer content requiring more skill and knowledge than the older stuff.
Naturally, cause you can still die in Naxx if you make mistakes. So you certainly will die in Cata raids if you don't know whats going on.
85 Undead Priest

You can solo C'thun easily.

edit: The stomach mechanic is not in place anymore.
Was just gonna ask how I ended up killing him, if it wasn't possible :)
90 Human Warlock
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but all of Ulduar is soloable on HM, with the exception of mana classes on General Vezax (he can be easily killed normal mode though).

Thorim CAN be soloed but the strat is... janky, to say the least. You absolutely need some sort of pet and a speed boost or it can't be done. The basic idea is to kill the encounter trigger mobs right next to the gate so you can open it posthaste. Speed boost close enough to the tunnel boss to pull him, then run out of the hallway. Make sure you are far enough from the tunnel entrance to avoid the Thunderball killshot.

Pop some sort of pet in the arena and command it to stand (or use an immobile aggressive pet) and run back into the tunnel. This has to be done very quickly, before the tunnel closes again. Wait till your pet has aggro (so you have aggro) on the trigger adds before killing the Construct who should still be hitting you. Then, run the tunnel gauntlet as normal, but avoid killing the trigger mobs till you are as close to Thorim as you can get without triggering him into action. After you kill the trigger adds, you need to wait till Sif spawns.

Once she spawns you can engage Thorim; Don't pull him with ranged attacks, instead
simply run as fast as you can past him and get into the arena. If he finishes his shtick before you are in the arena the Thunerball will kill you. Now the encounter proceeds like any other, beat him to death with his own spine or something.

Sometimes the door to the tunnel closes too quickly to avoid the thunderball and drop your pet in the arena. When this happens, there really isn't anything you can do but reset and hope it works this time.

For Yogg, when you get grabbed by a Constrictor use ground targeted AoE or spells with no facing requirement to kill them.
90 Night Elf Druid
Was running through the Temple of Ahn'whatever (Classic Raid), and realized there are two bosses we cannot solo due to mechanics...

The green ooze dude (needs ice magic), and the twins that you have to keep away from each other.

Did I read the patch notes wrong or something, or did they on fix BC and Wrath raids?

Blizz?

Well first off, I have solo'ed both bosses you speak of.
First: Get the enchantment deathfrost and enchant a fast dagger with it. I picked out a nice ilvl 416 agility dagger. DPS slimey boy with your normal weapon down low, I did one health but I am sure 20% is fine, and swap to the icy dagger(s).
Second, I... as a cute and cuddly bear, out dps'ed their heal. Took a lot longer than most of the bosses but I did it.
C'Thun is also soloable, just quickly kill the thingies in his tummy and get out.

AQ is easy peasy.

The boss I have trouble with is the first in BwL. Even with his nerf/buffs I still cannot solo it. Fortunately my boyfriend is kind enough to do the raid with me and let me have the pets.

Naxx is also solo-able on 10 man (not 25, gluth sucks on 25 XD). Spider doesnt web tanks I think so go in there in your tank spec and what nots. DPS only classes may need help to kill spider woman.

MC has always been easy peasy to solo.

Other noteable solo raids are Onyxia and Tempest Keep, although tempest keep has a bit of difficulty to it. Both raids drop mounts.
Most of Ulduar is soloable on 10 man, what isnt is 2mannable. 25 man we did with 3 people all the way to Yogg'saron. We felt very proud when we 2manned 10mYogg, but we did it with all 4 keepers :P
ICC 10man my boyfriend 2 manned with our guild leader up to the healing boss.
OS3D is 2mannable on 10 man and 3 mannable on 25 man. We haven't bother to go back there post mop for 10man to try soloing. 25 man we were soooo close but made a deal with a guildie and brought that extra dps.
Hmmm... BT was soloable up to the fear boss. Since the changes I dont know, my boyfriend hasn't been in there to try.
Sunwell is 2 mannable for the most part.
Magtheridon's lair is soloable.
Gruuls lair was 2 mannable but that was pre mop and mostly due to the first "boss".
AQ20man I never bothered with but I am sure at this point it is soloable. I don't remember anything too ground breaking.
Ruby sanctum I've never done....
VoR we failed at when we tried to 2 man so I am sure it isn't soloable quite yet.
ToC I feel like my boyfriend mentioned soloing but I would have to double check. I havent done it.
Kara and Battle for mount hyjal are soloable.
SSC I believe is soloable up to the lovely lady.
EoE... He tried to solo and failed... But I recall him saying he did it successfully a different day.
We haven't tried any cata raids yet.

For the record, my boyfriend is a mage, I am a tank. Most of the 2mannables were done with the two of us. Many woulda been soloable for him but he is squishy =3
Edited by Vynianyx on 12/4/2012 3:33 PM PST
85 Undead Priest
We've tried Earth. Wind and Fire two manning on the weekend. That didn't work out.
Given, we've only gave it one try. But Archavon made us fail with his constant grab.
Went with Ret Pally and Kitty Druid.
Certainly we will not give up, until we've tried every possibility in the books.
100 Pandaren Priest

Yes. Tuning takes work that's better applied elsewhere in the game.

What if we LIKE having some challenge in soloing stuff? I can't kill Patchwerk25 yet, but it doesn't mean the fight is broken. I'm considering different ways to take a stab at it, and will eventually manage. I don't want it to be so easy any derpy keyboard-turner can blunder in there and type /kill and everything falls over dead.

It may only be pets and transmog gear, but at least *some* effort should go into them still.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]