5.1 Thought we could solo old content now?

(Locked)

90 Night Elf Death Knight
Just soloed my subscription! Whooooo!
90 Human Death Knight
Eye of Eternity
I was able to bring Malygos into his final phase with ease, but considering how little the damage is from the drakes and the fact that you are constantly the target for all of the mechanics, I did not even come close to killing him before he enraged and destroyed me. If I could find a way to push out more true DPS on him during the transition and did better at managing my abilities in the final phase, it might be doable.

Final phase is a cakewalk, you can do it without losing any hp off your dragon at all. Once youre able to use your dragons abilities, immediately stack your heal to 5. Once Maly becomes active follow this rotation - Spit, Spit, Ignite, Revivify. That will ensure your energy regen is just enough to keep your Ignite stacking on Maly, and your heal at 5 stacks. When he casts the lightning ball, just move. Seeing as theres only you, it will be gone by the time youve done a full strafing rotation.
Edited by Nìsmo on 12/4/2012 9:57 PM PST
90 Human Death Knight
We believe there was a lot of confusion when we originally announced this change and we're certainly at fault for said confusion. The original patch note was very vague to the point of being misleading. It was never our intent to weaken old raid boss encounters to allow anyone to have a chance to solo them, regardless of class, spec, or skill.

What we did change were encounters that were mechanically impossible for one person to accomplish, solely for the purpose of ensuring players have easier access to the hunt for the new rare companion pets -- the drop rates of which are actually set to account for a group of three players, not one.

Moving forward, though, we do not plan to adjust encounters for tougher raid bosses to be solo’able by all classes and specs.

Can you allow Lord Marrowgar in 10-man ICC be able to be soloed? I really don't like it how he plants a ice spike and I can't get past him because of that.

I solo'd him before the patch. Are you using your pet? That'll get you nice and spiked.
100 Draenei Shaman
...Just for companion pets.....that sucks. Was trying to Solo ICC last night, had issues with the gunship and asked a guildie to come help for it, he left after that.....but, that one is possible to solo if done correctly I just didn't feel like trial and error. However, there is the Dreamweaver I think it is, the green dragon you have to heal....how is anyone supposed to solo that if they can't heal others.

I nabbed a buddy that could heal it and we three manned Dreamwalker, Princes, Blood Queen, Sindy and Lich King.

And I got Kingslayer 2 expansions late. And my fist weapons. <3 transmog.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
"RAID CONTENT"

Nuff said. It isn't meant to be solo'd. I wish Blizzard would force a minimum size of like 10 people to even enter these raids.

This has got to be the most asinine comment I have ever read.

I'm sure I'm going to get reamed for this but here goes. I do not do LFR, LFD, LFG or anything else of this manner. Only because the experiences that I have had with grouping with other people have not been pleasant. If you looked at my achievements you will see that I haven't done but maybe one raid in my entire lifetime of playing which has been quite a bit.

Now this is not to say that I wouldn't have loved to do these older raids because I would. Now that I have characters that are close to 90, I like the fact that I might have the opportunity to go back and do some of the older content with just maybe myself or with my husband, who has also not done any of these.

If Blizzard were to "force" people to have 10 men in these raids, then they would have to increase the HP of all the bosses in there or it would be worthless. They aren't going to do that and they shouldn't. Why punish those that never had the opportunity to do them? Making them just a tad bit easier makes more sense as there are not as many people doing them. I guess they could always take them out completely but then you are punishing those that are a lower level and need to have the full raid group to do them.

Now, before you go and say, "You always have LFR..blah blah blah," again I say that it is my right to not have to group with people that are not going to work well together and get pissed off because my item level does not fit what "they" seem to think it should or that I don't do my rotation right like a lot of elitists of this game seems to believe.

Anyway, TL;DR: Don't punish those that may finally have a chance and experience content that they were not able to do before.
100 Pandaren Monk
12/03/2012 06:06 PMPosted by Rayo
combat log's show it's not healing by anything of them they are just gaing HP because they want too. So if that's not a bug/unkillable boss what is vashj v 1.0?

I've soloed the Illidari Council. From what I can tell the weird health bars are just because of how the game is programmed to share the health of the council members. It looks like each member actually has 1/4 of the life it says they have, but then it spreads the damage you do over to the others and evens it out. When you were level 70 this fight took 20 minutes and you didn't notice this at all. At level 90 you smack them down so hard that it looks odd.
100 Gnome Mage
We believe there was a lot of confusion when we originally announced this change and we're certainly at fault for said confusion. The original patch note was very vague to the point of being misleading. It was never our intent to weaken old raid boss encounters to allow anyone to have a chance to solo them, regardless of class, spec, or skill.

What we did change were encounters that were mechanically impossible for one person to accomplish, solely for the purpose of ensuring players have easier access to the hunt for the new rare companion pets -- the drop rates of which are actually set to account for a group of three players, not one.

Moving forward, though, we do not plan to adjust encounters for tougher raid bosses to be solo’able by all classes and specs.

There's a fine line between soloable and mechanically impossible for one person to accomplish. I think we can all agree BWL Razorgore was "mechanically impossible" to solo.

You're really talking about a mechanic in the encounter that prevents it from being outgeared. It isn't really about which spec can do what.

Prot Palis could and have soloed BWL Razorgore prior to the nerf. Yet, you changed it. (Good change btw!) So, there's obviously some other deciding factor -- some conscious choice on the part of the developer's that chooses which encounters and what mechanics get changed.

The mechanic that makes Viscidus "mechanically impossible" still exists.

The only thing that was changed was how many hits it now takes to Shatter him. It's easier for classes/specs that could already solo him (and allows a few more that were on the edge), but still requires outside help for most caster classes that can't get in the laughably low 30 hits melee hits in 30 secs.

I find it ironic that Frost Mages were one of the strongest classes vs him in current content and one of the weakest to solo him.

Seriously -- a Frost Mage can't Shatter him without resorting to buying trinkets with meleeing adds. Seriously? That's like kinda our thing. Sad times.

My point is -- I'm not really sure there is a difference between an encounter that only one or two specs can solo due to limiting mechanics and your definition of "mechanically impossible."

The deciding factor isn't difficulty, rather the ability for the encounter to be outgeared. Viscidus will never be outgeared. Just like BWL Razorgore, C'Thun, ICC Boat, prior to 5.1 could not be outgeared.

And there's still bosses that are mechanically impossible ingame. I'm pretty sure you'll be revisiting these in the near future should you put pets on them or on the bosses following them.
85 Undead Priest
The moral of the story is:

It's great that some encounters have been adjusted that the requirement of a minimum of 2 people is gone. However it does not mean, that everyone should be able to simply walk into an old raid and just faceroll through it, as if they were running through Stockades or RFC.

We have all these old content raids, of which some are considered Blizzards master pieces on raid composition. Others were referred to as hell holes, players don't want to remember at all anymore, in a way.

And here we have the player base.... They can go in said raids now, for various reasons.
Be it the sentimental aspect. Enjoying the memories that come to mind, while walking through those place. Or the revenge driven run, where you finally do some pay back for all the grief the encounters gave you.

Yet, there's also a whole other large group of players, the ones that never seen these raids before. People who have been around, but never raided... And people who started playing during late LK, Cata or even most recently MoP.
For them it is a great feature to see that content too.

Whereas it's safe to day that the first group knows what they are up against. It's the second group that needs to be addressed. Raiding has always required a good deal of effort and research on our own part. We had to learn our classes and specs more deeply, in order to succeed in the raids. No matter on what level of difficulty you were raiding. It required prep work.

These old content places don't require the amount of people they were made for anymore.
You can master almost all of them now alone. But that does not mean, that they are now bare of the essentials. You still need to know your abilities. You still need to learn how to use your class and it's specs to your advantage.
And instead of complaining, or even just requesting to have the stuff toned down even more, you should see it as a great gift.
A gift the oldtimers in the gsme never had. You can do it all by yourself now.
There's no one around insulting you when you wipe on an encounter. No one's calling you a noob, just because you haven't completed your learning curve just yet.
Well.... Someone can call you that, and that's you yourself. In that case it would be a good thing. Learning from your own mistakes is a positive attribute.
With that said.... you have to realize... Even tho the encounters are possible to be soloed, they still require some research and preparation.
And when you research, don't look in the wrong places like OP did.... he apparently took on twin emperors and failed, because he didn't know anything, and learned afterwards, that they need to be fought separately. That's the old raid strat from group size approach.
Had he looked correct, he'd found the solo strat for them.
He'd probably also known by then that its called Ahn'Qiraj not Ahn'Whatever lol
100 Blood Elf Paladin

It's great that some encounters have been adjusted that the requirement of a minimum of 2 people is gone. However it does not mean, that everyone should be able to simply walk into an old raid and just faceroll through it, as if they were running through Stockades or RFC.

We have all these old content raids, of which some are considered Blizzards master pieces on raid composition. Others were referred to as hell holes, players don't want to remember at all anymore, in a way.

And here we have the player base.... They can go in said raids now, for various reasons.
Be it the sentimental aspect. Enjoying the memories that come to mind, while walking through those place. Or the revenge driven run, where you finally do some pay back for all the grief the encounters gave you.

Yet, there's also a whole other large group of players, the ones that never seen these raids before. People who have been around, but never raided... And people who started playing during late LK, Cata or even most recently MoP.

Whereas it's safe to day that the first group knows what they are up against. It's the second group that needs to be addressed. Raiding has always required a good deal of effort and research on our own part. We had to learn our classes and specs more deeply, in order to succeed in the raids. No matter on what level of difficulty you were raiding. It required prep work.

These old content places don't require the amount of people they were made for anymore.
You can master almost all of them now alone. But that does not mean, that they are now bare of the essentials. You still need to know your abilities. You still need to learn how to use your class and it's specs to your advantage.
And instead of complaining, or even just requesting to have the stuff toned down even more, you should see it as a great gift.
There's no one around insulting you when you wipe on an encounter. No one's calling you a noob, just because you haven't completed your learning curve just yet.
Well.... Someone can call you that, and that's you yourself. In that case it would be a good thing. Learning from your own mistakes is a positive attribute.
With that said.... you have to realize... Even tho the encounters are possible to be soloed, they still require some research and preparation.
And when you research, don't look in the wrong places like OP did.... he apparently took on twin emperors and failed, because he didn't know anything, and learned afterwards, that they need to be fought separately. That's the old raid strat from group size approach.

you sir, are amazing ^^
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Was running through the Temple of Ahn'whatever (Classic Raid), and realized there are two bosses we cannot solo due to mechanics...The green ooze dude (needs ice magic), and the twins that you have to keep away from each other.Did I read the patch notes wrong or something, or did they on fix BC and Wrath raids?Blizz?

These same mechanics are what make so many players have such deep respect and admiration for old bosses.

They are proof that this game has never been and will never be purely about pew-pew-pew.

Blizzard should keep them.
90 Night Elf Death Knight

Agreed. I was not around during Ulduar. I went in the other day to see it for the first time and run through. That is freaking amazing. I loved it. I really wish I could have done it when it was more current. I can see why a lot of people cite it as their favorite. Also had fun finally doing Razorgore alone. Little ahole had given me fits before.

I am definitely doing something wrong on the twins though. I generally average 75K DPS, granted in LFR, but still should translate for a stand still fight, and I am not really getting anywhere. How much DPS do you need to out pace the healing? I am probably missing a mechanic somewhere, but I will get it eventually.
100 Night Elf Rogue
For twins on my shadow priest, I pulled them into a corner as was suggested. And, as a warning, you MUST clear all mobs in the hallways before attempting them, else you get the old Mograine and an entire room aggroed onto you + boss.

I then kept a heal on myself with my glyph that allows prayer of mending and renew without breaking my shadow form since I take reduced damage with it on. I then tosse dmy shadow fiend onto the warrior twin to do damage and slapped him with my staff a few times JUST to be sure. Then full out dps on the casting one, still staying in my corner. When I heard the insects being enraged, I just mind seared to take them out quick before tabbing back to the caster twin.

In MV 10 man, I do about 35K to 70K depending on pulls. Average is 55K. Caster twin fell over dead and the warrior twin fell right behind from shared HP.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
12/04/2012 10:07 PMPosted by Solarnova
Can you allow Lord Marrowgar in 10-man ICC be able to be soloed? I really don't like it how he plants a ice spike and I can't get past him because of that.

Marrowgar is not too hard on a hunter: use a distracting shot just when he casts Bone Spike Graveyard‎, this way you will be on top of his aggro list and he won't spike you.

I got spiked a few times because of bad timing, and could still recover: my pet broke the spike just before it killed me. Got to be fast though: the damage is a % of your total health.
90 Troll Priest
12/04/2012 11:49 AMPosted by Sorya
Im ok with this. I had a lot of fun soloing raids in cata for the very fact that it was challenging and even at times, impossible.

Agreed.

Raids aren't really intended to be solo content, and personally I don't think they should ever be changed simply for the purpose of making them solo content, no matter how old they get.

Part of the challenge, part of the fun, is seeing how one lone character can address a challenge originally intended for 10/25/40 people.

Wanting raid content changed to something intended to be soloed, actually defeats the point.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]