Symbiosis - fix it or trash it!

90 Troll Druid
Symbiosis means BOTH parties benefit. Mutualism.

Too many times in both my tank spec and my resto spec I have been in a group where I have no reason to even cast Symbiosis.

In a 5man why would I want feint AS A TANK?! Also - warlock portals? I don't even know the last time I saw a lock drop a portal in a 5man.

I'm sure it's been said many times before but I REALLY would like to see Symbiosis get fixed to be a little less non-sensical.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Id
Feint isn't bad of an ability, on some encounters where there's HUGE AoE raid damage, Feint is quite useful for helping to mitigate it.

Symbiosis is fine as is. Just because it doesn't work in one environment doesn't mean that it's just plain useless.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
The only "problem" is that if it becomes too good, people start to demand that we cast Symbiosis on them for the effect that they get, rather than any consideration of what we get in return.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Well, as the caster of Symbio there's always the option of you saying no.

And it's more than just ONE environment. It just seems like they've given us some really wonky gains from it. Honestly.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I dunno. I like consecration as a bear tank makes AoE threat easier. Plus symbiosis will not be useful in every situation. In dungeons you may want to sym and different class then in a battleground or raid.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Yeah, when you actually have a worth-while class to Symbio in your group it's pretty great...but it just sucks a lot when you have a spell that could be highly useful BUT it's not getting cast because there's nobody worth casting it on. That's where I'm drawing the biggest blank on Symbiosis. In theory it's a great utility spell, but what happens when there's nobody you can benefit from? Just not cast it; but that feels like a waste of a resource now. Cast it but just not use the effect it gives; same deal - it's a waste.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The main issue is that there are so many abilities it grants that are utterly useless. I don't understand why guardians are given so many abilities that seem pitched at PVP when by most accounts we're PVE-only.
Reply Quote
Most annoying thing is casting it on someone to give them a helpful spell and they just dont use it, or use it so ineffectively that they may aswell not cast it.

Or in LFR i gave Symbi to a spriest so we had another tranquility, sent him a tell saying he has it, and to make sure its on his bar. Got a response "i queued as dps, i dont have to heal".
Not that you really need it in LFR, but with the fail tank we had that day it wouldve been handy to have another quick tranq.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Most annoying thing is casting it on someone to give them a helpful spell and they just dont use it, or use it so ineffectively that they may aswell not cast it.

Or in LFR i gave Symbi to a spriest so we had another tranquility, sent him a tell saying he has it, and to make sure its on his bar. Got a response "i queued as dps, i dont have to heal".
Not that you really need it in LFR, but with the fail tank we had that day it wouldve been handy to have another quick tranq.

Spriest Tranq only heals for a pitiful amount, not worth it imo.
Reply Quote
40 Orc Warlock

Spriest Tranq only heals for a pitiful amount, not worth it imo.

Just like mirror image for balance. It looks cute and funny. That's about it.
But I don't consider symbiosis bad, I have enough tools to use while questing and doing heroics dungeons, at times I get the occasional benefit from certain classes. In a raid group is where I see how useful it is like having Ice Block or Fortifying Brew for resto. Hell, even mass dispel for balance is silly (Prefer it for resto) but it's so useful.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Speaking from a resto spec I sort of agree with you, but disagree at the same time (yay for self-contradictory statements!). Sometimes I find the abilities I get to be a little lack luster, but playing around in raid last night I found that if you think about the available abilities and the mechanics you can almost always find something. We had two resto druids healing and a Spriest in the group. After the other healer figured out how awesome life grip can be on Stone Guard, she started ganking it before I could cast on the priest. Pissed me off, and I started to get the "F it" mindset. After getting over being butt hurt about it, and realizing I'm smarter than her, I found other ways for it to benefit me. Case in point, I cast it on a lock instead, giving him rejuv and receiving demoic circle: teleport. I then had him place it away from where amethyst pools would be appearing. The result, get me out of bad stuff instantly with a 30 sec cd while also giving another player with essentially endless mana the ability to HoT himself or another player up in tough situations. Thank you sir, may I have another?

Just get creative with it. I think that is Blizz's intention, rather than just giving everyone OP god mode abilities. Or, when in doubt, just cast it on a Shammy, being able to cast while moving is always helpful.

Edit: sorry forgot your other spec is guardian. I am not aware of all of their abilities, but I still suggest trying different things and see what you come up with. I think everything is situationally useful, but I could be wrong.
Edited by Aurial on 12/3/2012 9:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I suggest the OP looks up the definition of Symbiosis
Reply Quote
Symbiosis will either be TOO good or TOO bad, its really hard to balance. I think in its current situation, its pretty well balanced in most situation. Granted you might go into a 5 man and have no one worth using symbiosis on, but think about lv 87 abilities other classes might have that has very little or no use in other situations as well. Idk other classes well but pretty sure not everyone's lv 87 ability is good in every situation.
Reply Quote
91 Tauren Druid
I agree, first Blizzard doesn't balance to five man heroics. So stop wishing. Second, guardian has more then enough useful abilities it gets from people that work in heroic. Consecrate, monk brew, bone shield, feint in high aoe fights, shaman lightning, etc. I rarely want for someone to cast on. Its not broken, it doesn't give us god mode but it doesn't suck either. and in raids its a god send.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I love paladin bubble on my druid. Seriously.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I am loving Spirit Wolves from my shaman friends :D
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
i hate the spirits wolves they blow and do very little dps. as a feral i choose locks or rogues for personal dps redirect is nice cuz on a fight where i have to transition and soul swap is cool too. would be perfect for gunship and yor saj style fights. dispersion and bubble is cool to.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
GDI
What I find aggravating is that there are so many useless ones for Guardian. As a Bear, I want to cast it on a Monk, a DK, a Paladin, or a Shaman (if there is no Shaman healer). Otherwise there's really nothing worth using. Even Feint isn't worth using, because 20 Rage is far better spent on my defensive cooldowns.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
Symbiosis grants us a lot of abilities. Some of them are useful in certain situations and worthless in others.

The range of what we can gain is what makes it a good spell.

Even in PvE raiding only as Guardian, you can gain a multitude of great things such as Dodge CD (Monk), DR CD (DK), AoE DR (Rogue), AoE Threat (Pally), Damage (Shaman), AoE Slow (Hunter).

It is silly to think that every combo should be ideal on every fight or in any situation. Symbiosis grants us many great things, complaining because sometimes it isn't as useful is just acting spoiled.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
I really don't like it giving non-druid prot specs another defensive cd again, it has removed all choice from myself as to who I give it to.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]