Multi-Class RP?

36 Undead Priest
I have a goblin who is not a class. OOCly he is a hunter, but ICly he is just an average civilian, a businessman. No special powers or super good at training pets. But I decided I wanted to make him a mage OOCly and ICly. Would this be allowed? I know, like, being an insanely good rogue then, in a matter of a month, become the best warlock in the world. But, from the businessman to mage, is that okay?
Reply Quote
22 Undead Warlock
Um... I'm assuming that you'd recreate the character. I KNOW you're not suggesting that you RP a hunter as a mage or... some sort of weird crap like that. Because THAT... that would make me have a brain hemmorhage. When I recover, assuming I do, which I probably won't, I'd have to come back to this computer an !@#$%-slap you through the screen.

Now, if you ARE gonna recreate the character as a mage, sure! Go for it! It's a bit tricky to make a convincing history if he all of a sudden finds out that he has magical potential when he's like, 30. OR, you could just kill his old character and make a new one, totally fresh and uninfluenced by the old one.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
While the above response is a tad...harsh, I do have to agree that trying to RP one class as another isn't really a good idea mainly because most people will just immediately assume you're god-moding/power gaming.

I'd recommend just rolling an alt of the same race and desired class that has a similar name to your original character. For instance, I wanted to make a Monk version of Hadhan here (been RP'ing him as a Monk ever since Vanilla) so I just rolled a new human Monk character, gave him the same facial features/hair as Warrior Hadhan, and named him "Hadhann." (You can also just change it back to the same name as your original character using TRP2 or another RP addon).
Reply Quote
36 Undead Priest
12/02/2012 11:50 AMPosted by Hadhan
I'd recommend just rolling an alt of the same race and desired class that has a similar name to your original character. For instance, I wanted to make a Monk version of Hadhan here (been RP'ing him as a Monk ever since Vanilla) so I just rolled a new human Monk character, gave him the same facial features/hair as Warrior Hadhan, and named him "Hadhann." (You can also just change it back to the same name as your original character using TRP2 or another RP addon).

That's what I mean.
Not being a hunter OOCly and saying being a mage ICly.
But, my gob is around... 60 or so. Maybe he just decided it was time to defend himself, and it just sort of lead into mages?
Reply Quote
29 Draenei Shaman
Why a mage though? He's a hunter OOCly, why not have him finally gain an animal companion?

My hunter found an orphaned ghost saber cub and took it home to raise it and teach it how to hunt. By the time it was old enough to to fend for itself, it decided it wanted to stay with my hunter. The two have been working together ever since and together they are stronger then the are apart.

However, if you must make him a mage ICly, then do as Hadhan suggested. Make a character similar to your hunter, give him the same looks, a similar name, etc, but make him a mage. Don't use one class to rp another.
Reply Quote
72 Blood Elf Mage
12/02/2012 10:56 AMPosted by Augustev
I have a goblin who is not a class. OOCly he is a hunter, but ICly he is just an average civilian, a businessman. No special powers or super good at training pets. But I decided I wanted to make him a mage OOCly and ICly. Would this be allowed? I know, like, being an insanely good rogue then, in a matter of a month, become the best warlock in the world. But, from the businessman to mage, is that okay?

You CAN say that IC-ly he is a mage. But honestly, even if you don't like leveling, getting a new character to 60 would be much easier. Not everyone uses RP addons, which is where I'm assuming that you would clue people in to the fact that your hunter is actually a mage. At first glance, everyone is going to assume your character is a hunter. So basically you have to start most RP sessions with ((Btw this character is a mage IC not a hunter.)) I'm guessing that will get old pretty fast.

Plus you would be unable to preform even the smallest of mage tasks IC, like creating a portal for someone. Also, some people will probably assume the worst and think you're trying to RP some mage/hunter hybrid and avoid you or call you out on it even though you're doing nothing wrong.

So yes, you CAN say your hunter is really a mage, but in the long run doing this will be more work than just leveling a new mage. Grab some BoAs and spam dungeons while questing and the levels will fly by.
Reply Quote
36 Undead Priest
I never, at least I think so, said to say I wanted to have a hunter and say he is a mage, I wanted to level a new char, same looks, similar name, as a mage. I was asking if that is, lore-wise, acceptable.
Reply Quote
72 Blood Elf Mage
12/02/2012 01:05 PMPosted by Augustev
I never, at least I think so, said to say I wanted to have a hunter and say he is a mage, I wanted to level a new char, same looks, similar name, as a mage. I was asking if that is, lore-wise, acceptable.

12/02/2012 10:56 AMPosted by Augustev
OOCly he is a hunter, but ICly he is just an average civilian, a businessman. No special powers or super good at training pets. But I decided I wanted to make him a mage OOCly and ICly. Would this be allowed?

Sure sounded like you did. Why would you need to ask permission to roll a new character?

The answer to your question then is yes I suppose.
Reply Quote
36 Undead Priest
Okay then.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]