I really like books.

90 Undead Priest
Last night, I decided I would finally buy myself an ereader. I'm one of those people that buys all hardcover books. Why? I like the feel of different types of pages, I like the smell of old books. I even like folding my pages! (Oh yes, I'm one of those people.) And now, I need books. I want like twenty books. My mother keeps boasting about how great her kobo is and I just keep cringing and seething at her and telling her I like actual books more. On the other hand, buying good english books here is pretty much impossible and I don't like waiting between a week and two to receive books I want to read. Plus, ebooks are really cheap and I refuse to be that idiot that knocks something before I try it.

Some of you must be like "but Ari, you have a laptop!" Yes, well, my laptop weighs 11 pounds (It's not old. It's actually very, very new. Who needs 16GB of RAM? No one, but I can say I have it!) and I have the attention span of a humming bird. I have a hard time reading long articles on the net, too, because of eye strain.

Anyway, onto the topic at hand!

Basically, I like fantasy. I'm not too picky when it comes to books, I like everything from Brent Weeks to Dean Koontz to Stephen King and a plethora of fantasy authors, Anne Rice, as well. That being said; science fiction is the !@#$ of nightmares to me - Splice ruined sci fi for me forever by scaring the daylights out of me.

- The Kingkiller chronicles
- A Song of Ice and Fire
- The Desert Spear trilogy
- The Night Angel trilogy
- Noughts and crosses series and offshots
- The classics, such as "Watership down"

Vomit your book suggestions onto me, Wyrmrest.

Vomit them.
Edited by Arielen on 12/4/2012 9:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Cat in the Hat. There, I'm just going to go out and say it, alright? Y'forced me to stick my finger down my throat, that's what I got. Come on.
Reply Quote
12/04/2012 09:05 AMPosted by Arielen
Brent Weeks

12/04/2012 09:05 AMPosted by Arielen

MARRY ME.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
12/04/2012 09:11 AMPosted by Thokk
Brent Weeks

MARRY ME.

Only if you chew garlic regularly.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher| Urban fantasy with a smart-mouth wizard in the Yellow Pages who gets hired to do things like find out who exploded a prostitute's heart, stop a loup-garou, head off a war between the Faerie Courts, and other similarly awesome things. It features all kinds of myths and legends from around the world updated to the modern in his own special way.

Mistborn trilogy - Brandon Sanderson | A fantasy world set a thousand years after the chosen hero successfully saved the world and then proceeded to enslave it as the Lord Ruler. Cue a band of incredibly professional thieves and one streetrat beginning a job designed to steal the Lord Ruler's wealth, take him off the throne, and kill him once and for all.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
Fifty Shades of Grey sounds like it's right up your alley, Ari.
Reply Quote
59 Night Elf Death Knight
Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
Almost anything by Brandon Sanderson
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
12/04/2012 09:20 AMPosted by Fides
Fifty Shades of Grey sounds like it's right up your alley, Ari.

pls no

12/04/2012 09:20 AMPosted by Madican
Mistborn trilogy -

People have actually suggested this to me before but I was a bit shifty about it. Now I'll definately take a look.

The Dresden Files

find out who exploded a prostitute's heart, stop a loup-garou, head off a war between the Faerie Courts

wat

12/04/2012 09:22 AMPosted by Nyvaen
Almost anything by Brandon Sanderson

I was actually looking at Infinity Blade just a minute ago.

Kindle books are anywhere between 0.99$ and like 15$ so it's not like it's much of a loss, I guess.
Edited by Arielen on 12/4/2012 9:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
Well, there's always Joe Abercrombie and Scott Lynch.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Not all in one book mind you. The first one is basically Harry is brought on as a consultant by the Chicago PD to look at a scene where a prostitute's heart literally exploded out of her chest. Black magic. He then has to find out who did it and how because the police force of the wizarding world think he did it (they kill on sight) and the one who did it is targeting him next.

Second one involves Harry discovering that a loup-garou (basically a superpowered werewolf) is loose in the city on full moons.

Third one has violent ghosts terrorizing Chicago.

Fourth has the war brewing between the Summer and Winter courts of Faerie. The classic kind of faerie, not the Disney kind. Mab, Queen of Air and Darkness, makes repeated appearances throughout the series.

It's generally a whole lot of awesome crammed into every book and a character who grows and changes because he's one human, albeit a wizard, trying to face off against things much more powerful than him.
Reply Quote
94 Blood Elf Rogue
Not sure if it would be up your alley or not, but the Dragonlance novels are nice.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
12/04/2012 09:30 AMPosted by Asharrí
Not sure if it would be up your alley or not, but the Dragonlance novels are nice.

Unless you caught these when you were fourteen, you kind of missed out. There is no going back.
Reply Quote
94 Blood Elf Rogue

Unless you caught these when you were fourteen, you kind of missed out. There is no going back.

Yep, about the time I read them. Still enjoy them from time to time. Ended up passing the ones I kept over the years down to my oldest daughter. No harm in going back and enjoying old books from back then.
Edited by Asharrí on 12/4/2012 9:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
65 Human Warrior

I have to agree with Enekie on this, I absolutely loved Dragonlance in junior high, they've lost a bit now though.

Lord of the Flies
Grapes of Wrath
The Great Gatsby
The Brothers Karamazov
The Sound and The Fury
Absalom, Absalom!
Heart of Darkness

There is a reason most of these books are considered classics.

Edit: Arielen, I was disappointed that your GM isn't a DK or Paladin named Lemartes.
Edited by Quintus on 12/4/2012 9:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
Every time there's a book suggestion, I like to voice Margaret Atwood. Specifically Oryx and Crake, The Handmaid's Tale (which is required reading nowadays in many English classes, from what I understand), Cat's Eye, and the Blind Assassin. Neal Stephenson is also pretty good -- I enjoyed Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon. Stephen King's Dark Tower series (starting with The Gunslinger) has had me entranced for many years now, though I have yet to read Song of Susannah. If you liked the movie The Silence of the Lambs, read the book. The narration style is a little erratic but it was powerful.

Someone mentioned 'Chicago' in an earlier post and all I could think of was Devil in the White City, which is a historical biography of the World's Fair in 1893 combined with the history of the murderer H. H. Holmes. A little slow (and a little dry) but still a great read.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
I never read Dragonlance.

I really did enjoy the Death Gate Cycle and Darksword Trilogy from Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
In all honesty, people who don't read Lies of Locke Lamora are people who are missing out.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Priest
I'm reading 999 right now and I love it:

http://www.amazon.com/999-Twenty-nine-Original-Horror-Suspense/dp/0380805189

Did you buy a cover for your e-reader? I have one for mine and it handles like a hardcover while being able to carry around a bazillion e-books with me.
Reply Quote
65 Human Warrior

Someone mentioned 'Chicago' in an earlier post and all I could think of was Devil in the White City, which is a historical biography of the World's Fair in 1893 combined with the history of the murderer H. H. Holmes. A little slow (and a little dry) but still a great read.

I hadn't thought about this in years but the moment I read your post I remember reading a book about this when I was in Iraq in 2003. It was something I just couldn't put down any time I had a moments rest and I was actually reading it prior to the final entanglement with Saddams sons Uday and Qusay and I found the similarities in the brutality of those two in comparison to the subject of the book a bit chilling. Just one of those things that sticks with you.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Depraved.html?id=Keq4cmuIqegC
Edited by Quintus on 12/4/2012 9:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Hunter
I used to be a fan of Terry Pratchet. I only read a few of his books, but they were pretty good.

They take place on the "Diskworld," and its a sort of British humor in a medieval setting. With magic n'stuff.

I'd suggest "Guards! Guards!" or "Lords and Ladies", I think its called.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]