What's the point of being a pure nowadays?

90 Human Mage
CFT
This thread is PURELY from a PvE perspective. Do not bring that "MAGES ARE OP IN PvP!" crap here.

After being extremely disappointed with how clunky, boring, and crappy my Mage is (especially in regards to L90 talents), I've decided to level some of my other characters, but I've mostly been sticking to the ranged classes. Even from leveling them to 86-87 (and my Priest to 90), I must ask, why on Azeroth would anyone really choose to be a pure over hybrid nowadays? Mages, Warlocks, and Hunters bring little to no raid utility over the other ranged. Mages bring Time Warp (which Shamans can too, anyways), Warlocks bring Healthstones, a battlerez, and their gate thing, and Hunters bring one buff of the raid's choice.

Because I haven't played them too much, I'm ignoring Rogues (as this is mostly referring to ranged) and Hunters (due to not playing them a lot) and just referring to the 5 casters, though I know and acknowledge the problems that Hunters are having in PvE and Rogues are having in everything (both PvE and PvP). All pures atm are suffering extremely in QoL.

Elemental Shamans, Balance Druids, and Shadow Priests all get a raid-wide healing cooldown (sometimes multiple) [Tier 5 choice, Tranquility + talent choices, Vampiric Embrace], off-heals if needed in dire circumstances, and also bring the rarest buff in the game: +5% Spell Haste (only given by these three out of the thirty-four possible speccs).

- Druids get Innervate (single target mana regen) and a battlerez, as well as an extra ability to another raid member [Symbiosis] (also gives Shadow Priests Tranquility, giving them yet another raid-wide healing cooldown). If they choose Heart of the Wild, they can also perform any other role (Tank, Melee, or Healer) for 45s every 6m.
- Priests get Hymn of Hope (raid-wideish mana cooldown) and their Tier 6 talent (usually Halo, though DS too) can heal, even when used to damage (Cascade heals too, but only heal or damage)
- Shamans get Heroism/Bloodlust, is the only class that can self-rez once per battle without using up one of your precious battle rezzes (one in 10 or three in 25), and are the most mobile caster imaginable (only non-Lava Surged Lava Bursts have a cast time in their single target rotation. [this excludes Elemental Blast, as it's not mandatory for your last tier talent. Even if you choose it, you can also use Spiritwalker's Grace to cast it while moving.])

In addition to having these raid-wide cooldowns, utility, and benefits, they all also get to use Spirit gear (mostly referring to cloaks, rings, and necklaces). While Mages and Warlocks are completely limited to non-spirit items, the three hybrid-casters can use Hit, Spirit, and non-hit/non-spirit items.

So with all of these benefits, cooldowns that greatly benefit the raid, and all around just being more fun to play (though that's subjective), what is the point of being a pure? I don't feel very compelled to continue with my Mage when I could be greatly benefiting my raid more if I had Tranquility or Healing Tide Totem as well as the greatly desired 5% Spell Haste buff, in addition to gearing much easier by being able to take Spirit items, and finally having the ability to heal. Not to even mention how awfully clunky and crappy Mages are atm. Is anyone out there disappointed to be playing a pure (including Hunters & Rogues), or is it really just me?

EDIT: Okay so because people LOVE to use damage as an excuse, for this scenario, lets assume Blizzard suddenly got good at balancing, and ALL DPS speccs are within 1% of each other (both melee and ranged, pure and hybrid), so damage is no longer the issue. On an equal level, what would be the point to be a pure nowadays?
Edited by Pewpewblast on 11/25/2012 4:15 PM PST
Reply Quote

Because you enjoy the playstyle.

/thread
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Top end guilds continue to take pures (even Hunters) so you're obviously wrong about something.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
11/22/2012 06:26 PMPosted by Peztilence
I've decided to level some of my other characters, but I've mostly been sticking to the ranged classes.

See Blizzard? thats what you get for conceiting mages sooo much over so many years.

They will only play one char because they find everything else "boring" (not broken overpowered)

And they will eventually quit because playing only one char gets old.

Not to mention the hatred from all the other classes.

Thats what you get for extreme favoritism, less suscriptions.

You're like the crazy person who lives in bins and throws bags of dog!@#$ at people while declaring that the end is nigh.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I don't like dots. Blizzard apparently loves to give everyone dots to fool around with, and mages seem to be the least affected by this bizarre attachment.
Edited by Swampdonkeys on 11/22/2012 6:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
11/22/2012 06:07 PMPosted by Melhunt
Top end guilds continue to take pures (even Hunters) so you're obviously wrong about something.

They asked what's the point and I agree. My main's a hunter, and the state of hunters is so pathetic it's caused me to call it quits for good.
Edited by Wyse on 11/22/2012 7:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter

They asked what's the point and I agree. My main's a hunter, and the state of hunters is so pathetic it's caused me to call it quits for good.

Top end guilds are taking pures. They raid with Hunters, Mages, Rogues, and Warlocks galore.

BL has Truefire. Vodka has Entio. And there are tons more of the stronger pures (vodka has 3 Locks on their roster).
Edited by Melhunt on 11/22/2012 7:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
11/22/2012 05:03 PMPosted by Enhancedone

Because you enjoy the playstyle.

/thread

Ya, it's just to bad that my class is the same playstyle across all 3 specs except the attacks have different names.

Only reason to bring a hunter is so you have a class to give the mail agility to.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter

No they are right. Hunters are lowest on just about every fight. Not every top guild stacks the best class once they have buffs.

Which has just about nothing to do with this thread's topic (why no raiding guild should ever take a pure DPS).
Edited by Melhunt on 11/22/2012 7:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
There is a benefit to being a pure.

We get 3 different ways to dps so if we like to dps we get 3 different styles.

Hybrids get 2 different ways to dps so if they like to dps they only get 2 different styles.

The only thing is that there is only so much variation you can work into a spec before it becomes either way stronger or weaker than the others.

I personally think they should just add 4th talent trees to every class to either:

A) give hybrids more choices in their playstyle when it comes to dpsing.

B) Make all 4 pure classes a hybrid.

I'd very much prefer this over a new race or class next expac but I can see the logistical nightmare it would become trying to balance 30 new specs.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Pures:
Warlocks-Great Damage and Utility.
Mages-Fire is great right now, frost is also good
Hunter-Bad
Rogues-Varies

Hybrids:
Spriests-Really good spot right now. Good offheals.
Boomkins-Decent. Haha, heals?
Shamans-Enhance and Ele have been hit pretty hard, they deserve something. Also not sure if they're even that great
Palidans-Haha ret dps?
Monk-FOTM
DK-Solid.

Seems that both pures and hybrids have their ups and downs right now. Pures are one of the strongest atm.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
11/22/2012 07:44 PMPosted by Melhunt
Top end guilds are taking pures. They raid with Hunters, Mages, Rogues, and Warlocks galore.

And there is still no advantage to playing a hunter. There are multiple disadvantages, however. No one rolls a pure damage class so they can do piss poor damage. Shocking I know.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I know my guild brings me because I can bring Spell Haste as a hunter so the casters won't let the RL kick me.

DPS? whats that?
Edited by Notho on 11/22/2012 8:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
- Hunters and Warlocks in 5.1 will have zero loss of DPS while moving

- Mages have some rather powerful cleave built into their rotation, high burst damage and low cooldown dependence. Note that multi-dotters actually have to forego their standard rotation to do so, leading to less of a gain. Combat and Arms cleave have rather massive penalties attached to them.

- Feint makes rogues one of the most self-sustainable DPS classes. Who else can cut AoE damage by 65% with no cooldown?

Seems like some pretty great perks for me, or is healing 10k HPS over the course of a raid boss as a shaman or shadow priest that big of a deal?
Edited by Kamine on 11/22/2012 8:40 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]