Bots...

90 Human Priest
Just came out of Strand of Ancients, in a 15 man bg level 87 on my mistweaver monk.

Every one was a bot apart from me...

how do i know? every one was on the same place in the map, following eachother, doing nothing, occasionaly casting one spell on them selfs. I was the only one in the BG chat and actually in the demos.

how hard is it blizzard to just stop bots? add a system to block botting websites , make it so you must type a code before entering a BG so no bots can get in? this is ruining my game play.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
So 14/15 players were bots. This is unfair and boring. How am i suppose to solo a bg?
Reply Quote
61 Worgen Priest
11/24/2012 07:41 AMPosted by Healzora
make it so you must type a code before entering a BG so no bots can get in?

the captcha system you are talking about is not fail proof, by far. This has been suggested for years. Do a search on this and you can find all the information as to why they wouldn't use this.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Reading all the bot threads and the responses by the blues and the everyday defenders of all things blizzard has lead me to conclude we should probably take their word for it that blizzard has been doing all they can to combat the bot problem.

In other words blizzard can't do more than they have been doing. They have been doing their best and will continue to do everything they can but apparently the bot problem is beyond their ability to stem or control.
Edited by Devestation on 11/24/2012 10:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
69 Orc Death Knight

how hard is it blizzard to just stop bots?

How hard is it to cure cancer? Doctors have been working on that a lot longer than MMOs have existed, yet nobody argues that they're not doing anything.

add a system to block botting websites ,

...are you seriously arguing that Blizzard should have access to players' ISPs or browsers, and control which sites they can and cannot visit?

make it so you must type a code before entering a BG so no bots can get in?

Captchas aren't very effective against most bots, and that'd irritate or block real players. That'd actually make the problem worse.

this is ruining my game play.

It's frustrating to everyone, but the assumption that Blizzard can just push a few buttons and make it go away is false.

Want to sue? The botters are in another country without laws against this.
Want Blizzard to ban IPs? The botters use proxies that legit players use.
Want Blizzard to recode the game to block them? The botters recode around the block.
Want Blizzard to actively monitor the game? In order to make a dent, Blizzard would have to hire enough GMs to turn your monthly subscription hourly.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
As Danvers has pointed out there is nothing blizzard can do that will fix the bot problem. if there was something blizzard could do they would have done it already.
Edited by Devestation on 11/24/2012 10:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
12/03/2012 11:53 PMPosted by Slabwarmer
LOL@comparing curing cancer with stopping bots. LOL LOL.. Danvers, if i owned a company this large with their staff, you can bet i would be more proactive on botting not reactive. How many months has MOP been out? they have logs, they can stop it, they just dont spend the resources necessary to stop it. Banks don't get hacked by the chinese, why is that? a little effort with security i suppose

running a bot is not the same as hacking a bank. botters aren't hacking anything or finding out a password. they're running software on their own computer.

anyway - for the most part, the good bots have been undetectable by blizzard for years now. there's just nothing more they're able to do than be reactive about it. they've had small breakthroughs now and again, like when archaeology came out they busted a bunch of people. but beyond that, just because it is common and blizzard has a lot of resources doesn't mean they can fix it just because they want to. effort does not equal results.
Edited by Yindar on 12/4/2012 12:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
they have logs, they can stop it

They can stop this version of bots, but then bot makers will make a new one, and it will just continue.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
if i owned a company this large with their staff, you can bet i would be more proactive on botting not reactive

So easy to say this when you don't, isn't it? :p

Banks don't get hacked by the chinese

Who says that don't?

The saddest part (which everyone would probably agree) is that to stop the bots, it is not just up to Blizzard. It's up to a particular group of players who insist on cheating, who insist on buying gold etc.

Take away the market, and the majority of the war is already won.

11/24/2012 07:41 AMPosted by Healzora
how hard is it blizzard to just stop bots? add a system to block botting websites

Blocking bot websites - err what?

Outside of the game, Blizzard has no control of players computers.

This is a battle they have fought for years. Botting also is something not exclusive to WoW. Sadly, many game companies fight the same war.

Blizzard also bans is waves. Why? Far more effective. If they banned here and there, it's only a very short matter of time before news of a bot programs ban gets back to the bot makers, and they quickly change their code to once again attempt to avoid detection.

Ban in waves, and we see a sudden influx of players on this forum all protesting their innocence and blaming everything and everyone else for using a bot on their account :p
Reply Quote
88 Troll Hunter
Banks don't get hacked by the chinese

Neither do WoW players. They get hacked by people. Some of those people happen to be located in China. And I am quite certain that at some point, a bank has been hacked by someone from China as well.

The point is that this is not a problem that will ever go away. People have been cracking the code in games since games came out.

Also, when Blizzard does catch a bot, and break it, the programmers don't throw up their hands and say "Dang it! Blizzard caught us. So ends our life of cyber crime!!" Much like real life criminals don't usually stop being criminals just because they got caught.

So, it's all well and good to talk tough and claim that you would be the one who finally cracked the nut that is botting. But, since NO programmer so far has managed it, I'm not going to be betting on you finally being the one...
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Its the system REPORT a Player is not working this approach needs to be scrapped the only method is a human response system that is random that can not be automated trust me these guys will get sick of going to the computer every ten minutes and will defeat the purpose.

My only conclusion to this is that sales are down and these bots are part of the player base keeping numbers up gold is a high profit business and the sale of toons doesn't help either they need to address the problem with fresh eyes time to shake the dev team up and try a new system.

I dont report squat now its been 3 years and guess what I see the same thing its kind of like the DEA at this point throwing money down a bottomless pit
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Rogue
AnW
12/04/2012 06:05 AMPosted by Gudal
Its the system REPORT a Player is not working

Actually, the new right-click report system is BETTER than the old ticketing system in terms of providing information to the hacks team about a supposed botter. It gives exact details as to what that particular toon was doing and where they were at the exact time that the report is made.

Yes, I grant you that its can now be harder to report some bots, but you can't win them all.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I really hope they figure this all out, It is really annoying to sit in que for 20 mins just to play with bots.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
So many people do it these days, it's just beginning to get overlooked and less attention is wasted on it, sad, I know, because I've reported a few and spoke with a GM personally quite a few times and this is basically what they tell me. If you think about it, we pay Blizzard to play their games, amongst other features a lot of us have paid for, therefor, technically we retain the right to play the game the way we want to, crying about it isn't gonna solve the problem, it just is and will be. Also, I've done my research on these "bot" programs an such and you have to pay to use them as well. It all boils down to the fact that it's our money and we can do with it what we want and all you can do is just have fun, play the game and truck along the way you truck along while killing any bots or training any bots in your path!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
As I was once told....many many many yrs ago by a few blues. Devs/GMs/Hack management teams, are like detectives, they have to watch the bots/afkers, learn what they are using, duplicate it to stop it, they then have a worldwide massive ban and start all over again. Well it's actually an on-going process but they are doing something.

Just report all bots and AFK'ers you see, tell them as close as you can exactly what they are doing, what bg and where, any and all info does help.
Yeah it takes some of your time but they can't do it alone. And yes we all agree it frustrating, a real bit@h but that's what happens when players are careless/clueless or don't care and/or don't use authenticators. These botters and afkers mostly use accounts they've hacked, some tho are players that think they can get away with it.
Reply Quote
43 Pandaren Monk
12/04/2012 06:20 AMPosted by Vord
So many people do it these days, it's just beginning to get overlooked and less attention is wasted on it, sad, I know, because I've reported a few and spoke with a GM personally quite a few times and this is basically what they tell me.

They do not waste less attention on bots. If they ban one, the person just gets another account from their many they have to choose from. Banning one bot at a time is a waste. Don't get me wrong, they have done this before. However it is more benefitial to all if they break the program, get the program developer to sign an agreement not to do it, take them to court, whatever to get this mass of people to not be able to bot.

I seriously doubt a GM told you they overlook and don't pay any attention. They may be how a GM handles it, as in they are not equipped to investigate bots. They have to forward it to the correct department. Blizzard has a rather large department dedicated to detecting bots and breaking their code.

There will always be an influx of bots when an expansion comes out. Prior there were very few. Now people are paying for honor farming, paying for gold, or doing whatever they can do get ahead illicitly.

Gold selling, botting etc is a billion dollar a year business. No matter how good blizzard gets at detection and banning they will never give up their cash cow. Blizzard games are not the only ones that have this issue either.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
Well, all the GMs I've spoke to about it weren't very helpful or determined to fix the issue, I wouldn't just say that lol but whatevs, it is what it is.
Reply Quote
69 Orc Death Knight
Its the system REPORT a Player is not working this approach needs to be scrapped the only method is a human response system that is random that can not be automated trust me these guys will get sick of going to the computer every ten minutes and will defeat the purpose.

My only conclusion to this is that sales are down and these bots are part of the player base keeping numbers up gold is a high profit business and the sale of toons doesn't help either they need to address the problem with fresh eyes time to shake the dev team up and try a new system.

I dont report squat now its been 3 years and guess what I see the same thing its kind of like the DEA at this point throwing money down a bottomless pit

So you complain about how the system doesn't work, then admit you don't use it.

You'll forgive me if I don't take your word as gospel.
Reply Quote
88 Troll Hunter
12/05/2012 06:39 AMPosted by Vord
Well, all the GMs I've spoke to about it weren't very helpful or determined to fix the issue, I wouldn't just say that lol but whatevs, it is what it is.

Because this isn't something that GMs do. They aren't the Hacks team. You right-click report a bot, and the Hacks team looks into it. So there really isn't anything that a GM can help you with.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]