No free month after activating an expansion?

90 Gnome Priest
I've never been given free time for buying an expansion. I've only received it when buying the core game, or when there were major technical issues causing unexpected intended downtime so they but that was for rarely more than a couple of days.

A lot of people assume they're getting a free month when they buy an expansion but it's never happened.
Reply Quote
11/29/2012 12:25 AMPosted by Sublevare
I remember when I bought the battle chest, Wrath and Cata and for each expansion I got a free month of time. I just bought MoP and a friend of mine bought Cata and MoP... neither of us received the free time. When did they stop doing this? And why? I don't mind paying my sub but it kind of sucks to end up having to pay $55 to play an expansion that cost $40 for the first month that you have it. It's really not a very friendly way to greet new and returning customers =/

You might have been thinking of something else.

When you buy Vanilla, you have a free month. Expansions do not give out free month.

Some services on the free site do reward free months, like Recruit a friend. Maybe you did use that.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
As others have already stated, expansions do not give you free time, only the initial set up of a new account with the purchase of the battle chest, or vanilla back in the day.

However, there are other means in which you can get free time, which could be the source of where you got your free 30 days.

Those being:

Recruit a Friend. If you recruited a friend and they paid for one month of WoW you receive a month free.

Scroll of Resurrection once gave a free month if your friend resubbed after their free days.

Also if your account was expired you could after the expansion has been out for a little while get a free 10 day trial to try out the expansion. Not 30 days, but free 10 days.

Also occasionally you got free days if there was unintentional extended downtime, but that was usually 1-2 days at a time.

So, not sure if any of those sources applied to you getting some free time, however, upgrading to a new expansion does not give you extra time, sorry.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
11/29/2012 12:42 AMPosted by Taishi
This is the only game I have ever played that requires a sub. So, I sincerely doubt that.

And we sincerely doubt you were given free time for purchasing expansions upon release. Been playing since before the launch of BC and never received free time for purchasing an expansion.
This.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
I didn't get free time. I got time when I activated my initial purchases on a new account, because it made me pay immediately.. but it wasn't free.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
11/29/2012 12:32 AMPosted by Rahqwas
They have only ever given free time to vanilla.

You never bought vanilla, you could have downloaded it for free if you wanted to. The $20 or w/e you paid for the boxed copy is the price of the 1 "free" month of subscription time inside included in the box along with the discs and pages.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
To clear things up, the battle chest now says....

WoW®: Battle Chest®

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO BEGIN THE ADVENTURE
Descend into the World of Warcraft and join thousands of mighty heroes in an online world of myth, magic, and limitless adventure. Explore jagged, snowy peaks; vast mountain fortresses; and harsh, winding canyons. Witness zeppelins flying over smoldering battlefields; battle in epic sieges -- a host of legendary experiences await. Enter the World of Warcraft…
The World of Warcraft Battle Chest includes everything you need to begin the adventure:
WORLD OF WARCRAFT COMPLETE GAME
THE BURNING CRUSADE EXPANSION SET
THE WRATH OF THE LICH KING EXPANSION SET
INCLUDES FIRST MONTH OF GAME TIME
256-PAGE BEGINNER'S GUIDE FROM BRADY GAMES

MoP says:
World of Warcraft®: Mists of Pandaria™

UNLOCK THE MYSTERIES OF PANDARIA
You've ended Deathwing's destructive rampage and saved the dragonflights from extinction. Now you must unlock the mysteries of the lost continent and discover the dark secrets of Pandaria's past. Explore ancient kingdoms hidden since before the Sundering, plunder vast treasures from the depths of forgotten vaults, and rise to defend Pandaria from the shadow of a long-buried evil -- before it's too late.
Edited by Bubblêtea on 11/29/2012 4:32 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
11/29/2012 12:33 AMPosted by Sublevare
Not true. I specifically remember receiving a month of time when I bought both Wrath and Cata upon release.

I bought Classic in January 2007 and I got 30 free days. I bought BC 2 weeks later in late January 2007, there was no free month. Neither did Wrath, Cata or Mists give free months either.

If you buy a battle chest you get a free month because it includes Classic. They have and will never give free months for expansions. You get a free month for buying the "base" game. Expansions are just that, to expand the base game. If they gave $15 worth of free months for every expansion they wouldn't cost $40 because they'd automatically be out $15 of profit from every single expansion purchase which would be ridiculous business wise. The free month with Classic is to hook you, give you 30 days to decide if its worth paying monthly for or not. You bought an expansion you are already into it and most likely going to or are buying monthly game time.
Edited by Mukeshi on 11/29/2012 4:41 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]