Prot PvP in Reg BGs

85 Gnome Warlock
So I'm back for MoP and would like to make my warrior into a reg. BG alt as prot and was wondering how it was. Can we kill ppl like in early wrath, or we just stuck with flag running?
Reply Quote
Vengeance doesn't work in pvp anymore so we really can't kill anyone in full pvp gear, especially anyone that can heal. We're also taking collateral damage from Arms nerfs (lost Gag Order, Avatar, and most likely will lose Shockwave).

We're still tough to kill but if Second Wind gets nerfed, we'll be in pretty bad shape outside of carrying.
Reply Quote
89 Orc Shaman
Blizzard obviously thinks of PVP for warriors as only arms or fury. This sucks for Pvprot because we get killed with nerfs like gag order removed from pvp and longer cooldown on intimidating shout. We do terrible damage though in PVP, so it just makes us more and more useless as nerfs targeted at arms and fury hurt us even more because we rely on utility and self heals to make up for 5X worse damage of any class/spec who is not a healer.

I see pvprot as totally useless in the next few patches because of people crying about arms and fury and the nerfs will hit us much harder.

I mean even look at our main stat mastery in terms of PVP it is barely useful. Most classes get damage increases or healing increases with mastery. Pvprot gets like 5% more block and 20% more critical block which is obviously NOT going to help much inn 90% of pvp. Prot mastery is setup for pve. You can't even itemize out of mastery for pvp gear and carry better stats. So that even makes our gear worse then another specs right off the bat for pvp....

At one point Bliz said they were going to try to balance all specs for pvp. I don't see it.
Reply Quote
89 Orc Shaman
Oh, also haste is on our pvp gear which is CRAP for Pvprot. So basically we are carrying around 2 very blah stats if we want to have pvp gear on in a pvp scenario. Haste and Mastery fail for Pvprotbut you MUST wear it anyway because pve gear has no resil. Reforging only helps a bit, you are still stuck with a lot of blah haste and blah mastery.
Reply Quote
20 Gnome Mage
mastery is far from a trash stat for prot pvp.

To be on topic: I thoroughly enjoy prot PvP. It's possible to kill people but it's not fast and usually not easy.
Edited by Pindelly on 11/29/2012 6:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
89 Orc Shaman

To be on topic: I thoroughly enjoy prot PvP. It's possible to kill people but it's not fast and usually not easy.

You basically admitted pvprot is blah. What you are saying is you can't put real pressure in terms of damage on anyone excepts bads.

Why is mastery a good stat in pvp for pvprot?

If no one is melee attacking you from in front of you it is useless. Only bads will have a rogue, feral, DK, warrior, or ret attacking a prot warrior, and if they aren't jousting to get behind you they are even more bad.

So the stat depends on bads doing it wrong by melee attacking a pvprot in the first place, and then doing it wrong from by attacking you from the front in second place. In all other scenarios it is USELESS, unlike what mastery does for damage and healing to other classes / specs where it has very broad benefits in pvp.

Good luck getting past 1500-1600, because you are only going to be beating bads. So I actually agree with you if you think 1500-1600 is good enough and makes it something more then blah.
Reply Quote
20 Gnome Mage

You basically admitted pvprot is blah. What you are saying is you can't put real pressure in terms of damage on anyone excepts bads.

If no one is melee attacking you from in front of you it is useless. Only bads will have a rogue, feral, DK, warrior, or ret attacking a prot warrior, and if they aren't jousting to get behind you they are even more bad.

So the stat depends on bads doing it wrong by melee attacking a pvprot in the first place, and then doing it wrong from by attacking you from the front in second place. In all other scenarios it is USELESS, unlike what mastery does for damage and healing to other classes / specs where it has very broad benefits in pvp.

Good luck getting past 1500-1600, because you are only going to be beating bads. So I actually agree with you if you think 1500-1600 is good enough and makes it something more then blah.

You find me a better stat that you can get passively from pvp gear, you're making the implication that crit is a better stat than mastery.

Survivability stat is a survivability stat. Is it ideal? No. Is it better than crit or haste? Yes. If your not reforging crit or hate to dodge/parry your not doing it correctly.

Thus making mastery a non trash stat as you implied.
Reply Quote
89 Orc Shaman

You find me a better stat that you can get passively from pvp gear, you're making the implication that crit is a better stat than mastery.

Survivability stat is a survivability stat. Is it ideal? No. Is it better than crit or haste? Yes. If your not reforging crit or hate to dodge/parry your not doing it correctly.

Thus making mastery a non trash stat as you implied.

I'm simply saying that its not well thought out by Bliz. Mastery should also increase something less situational, like Shield Slam crit % or random spell reflect or something.

Give me a reason to want mastery that is not extremely narrow.

Yes mastery is marginally better than crit IF the idea is to simply flag carry. But thats a pretty narrow role which is limeted to 3 bg's. Flag defending is not the same as flag carry because you can still be ignored pretty much.

But I would see crit as much better in other roles, not just flag carry, IF pvprot did reasonable damage to start with. So even crit is currently pretty blah too becasue of extremely blah dmg.

Now haste just seems to be pretty much garbage all around. I'd take crit over haste in all cases.
Reply Quote
89 Orc Shaman
And no AV doesnt count for mastery because PVE gear is by far the best if you are thinking in terms of tanking the NPCs.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
11/30/2012 12:12 AMPosted by Matzumoto
pvprot

STOP !@#$ING SAYING THAT. JESUS CHRIST IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE A RETARDED MONKEY.

CAPS LOCK.
%^-* YEAH.
Edited by Monikth on 11/30/2012 3:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
86 Human Warrior
11/30/2012 03:52 AMPosted by Monikth
pvprot

STOP !@#$ING SAYING THAT. JESUS CHRIST IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE A RETARDED MONKEY.

CAPS LOCK.
%^-* YEAH.

o_O lol.. I was just thinking that. Thank you for saying it outloud!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
If you wish to do some type of damage as prot stack PvP Power. if you wish to never die go full resilience.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]