Mages just aren't fun anymore

<- This guy has been my main (and my favorite) character since I created him in Vanilla. It's always been fun to play a mage even though we're squishy. Up until now that is.

Now before I get a bunch of people flaming me, hear me out.

I know I don't have good gear; I'm working on it.

That being said, it's just not fun anymore. I don't PvP on this toon much, so I'm strictly speaking of PvE here, but my DPS sucks.. **sucks**.

I find it amazing that every item I'm wearing is a higher iLvl than anything I had in Cata (of course), but at level 90 my DPS is lower than it was at 85 in Cata.. LOWER! I tried switching from Arcane back to Fire again, but that didn't help; my DPS still sucks.

On top of being squishy and having my DPS suddenly start sucking, the latest patch SERIOUSLY nerfed Ice Barrier... Yeah, there ya go Blizz.. Smart move there.. Make squishies even squishier..

I don't need any flaming on this post, okay? This is just a vent/rant from a long-time player who has always loved playing a mage until MoP. Does anyone have anything constructive to say about this? Has spell rotation changed? Have mages become crappy across the board, or am I missing something? (Probably me, I know)... Should I concentrate on my lock or priest as my main rDPS now? Should I forget about casters and just play my rogue?

~Just a frustrated long-time player..
Reply Quote
It's always like this at the beginning of an expansion. Higher ilevel notwithstanding, your secondary stats are crap as a newbie level 90. A very well geared level 85 may indeed do better by virtue of having extremely high levels of haste, crit, etc.

What is new are the level 90 talents. It takes a while to get used to those and make them work for you. It takes even longer to love them. In my case, that time span is approaching infinity and my new warlock main beckons.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
The fire rotation is a little more complicated now, yes, but because of the lessened dependency on luck (passive 1.3 crit multiplier, guaranteed Inferno Blast crits), it makes crit worth even more, if you can believe that. Two points of crit is worth a little more than one point of intellect -- in layman's terms, sometimes a better option than intellect in the amounts you're given.

The point is, however, that gear is a huge factor in your DPS, as is reforging, gemming, and enchanting correctly. Your combat ratings went down in leveling up, and you have to build them back up before you'll see competitive numbers again, but it'll happen. It happens every expansion.

And if you're worried about the Ice Barrier nerf, use Temporal Shield. It's seriously more useful if you use it right.
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Death Knight
I love me some mage tears!

Mhmmm
Reply Quote
Try playing other classes and see how bad they have it, derp.

I can't believe I'm seeing a mage QQ. This class has been labeled as the 'no skill' class for a reason.
Reply Quote
<- This guy has been my main (and my favorite) character since I created him in Vanilla. It's always been fun to play a mage even though we're squishy. Up until now that is.

Now before I get a bunch of people flaming me, hear me out.

I know I don't have good gear; I'm working on it.

That being said, it's just not fun anymore. I don't PvP on this toon much, so I'm strictly speaking of PvE here, but my DPS sucks.. **sucks**.

I find it amazing that every item I'm wearing is a higher iLvl than anything I had in Cata (of course), but at level 90 my DPS is lower than it was at 85 in Cata.. LOWER! I tried switching from Arcane back to Fire again, but that didn't help; my DPS still sucks.

On top of being squishy and having my DPS suddenly start sucking, the latest patch SERIOUSLY nerfed Ice Barrier... Yeah, there ya go Blizz.. Smart move there.. Make squishies even squishier..

I don't need any flaming on this post, okay? This is just a vent/rant from a long-time player who has always loved playing a mage until MoP. Does anyone have anything constructive to say about this? Has spell rotation changed? Have mages become crappy across the board, or am I missing something? (Probably me, I know)... Should I concentrate on my lock or priest as my main rDPS now? Should I forget about casters and just play my rogue?

~Just a frustrated long-time player..

Dude, seriously?

Seriously!?!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
idk why I'm even bothering
Edited by Smoovie on 11/29/2012 9:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
11/29/2012 08:18 AMPosted by Garadine
This class has been labeled as the 'no skill' class for a reason.

Just like how people call the USSR communist, it must be because they are communist! /sarcasm

No people just dont know how to label things, and do so based on false information.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage

1. Mages are fine.
2. You're wearing your quest greens and blues, so you should be trying to gear up via heroics.
3. Instead you're reforging your pre-heroic gear for the raid hit cap, which is stupid.
4. This is compounded by the fact that you're a fire mage, and reforging for raid-hit leaves you with no crit. So of course your dps is terrible.
5. If you want to raid while having low gear levels, do not spec fire.
6. Our PvE rotations have gotten significantly more complicated for both AoE and single target, which isn't really a bad thing.
7. You just hit the level cap, stop trying to compare your dps to people that have been geared up for two months.
8. Your main complaint about the lack of fun has been the lack of dps. Take it from me, mages are right at the top of the charts for dps.
Reply Quote
11/29/2012 09:28 AMPosted by Hiroran
This class has been labeled as the 'no skill' class for a reason.

Just like how people call the USSR communist, it must be because they are communist! /sarcasm

No people just dont know how to label things, and do so based on false information.

Based on your achievements, it seems like you barely even do PvP.

This is common knowledge for us PvPer's and has been since Cata.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
11/29/2012 09:41 AMPosted by Garadine

I can understand logic without doing PvP. People mislable things all the time.

"arcane mages just use arcane blast over and over again! Easiest class. No skill"

this was common knowledge for most, but it was still wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

Based on your level, and your achievements, it seems you don't even play the game.

Level 55 DKs have been labeled trolls for a reason.

Cata... Cata... You mean the expansion where Warlocks were considerably better represented in Arenas? And oh, haven't they been better in Arenas for the most part? You know, the competitive part of PvP.

Shouldn't you go trolling the Warlock forums?

And level 55 PvP matters. Since you brought armoury into it, that's entirely fair. Your armoury says you have no experience at anything whatsoever.

So, news at 11! Somebody with no experience at all complains about mages!

Dang, I love trolls. It's just so fun to point out how stupid they are. I know, I know. It's pointless. But isn't everything?
Reply Quote
11/29/2012 09:51 AMPosted by Naishee

Based on your level, and your achievements, it seems you don't even play the game.

Level 55 DKs have been labeled trolls for a reason.

Cata... Cata... You mean the expansion where Warlocks were considerably better represented in Arenas? And oh, haven't they been better in Arenas for the most part? You know, the competitive part of PvP.

Shouldn't you go trolling the Warlock forums?

And level 55 PvP matters. Since you brought armoury into it, that's entirely fair. Your armoury says you have no experience at anything whatsoever.

So, news at 11! Somebody with no experience at all complains about mages!

Dang, I love trolls. It's just so fun to point out how stupid they are. I know, I know. It's pointless. But isn't everything?

Oh look, another PvPer who hasn't even broken 1550 rating in arena. Lol.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
11/29/2012 10:02 AMPosted by Garadine

I'm a PvPer since when? I have done 12 Arena matches total. Won 8, lost 4. And that's it.

Fail troll is fail? Go get to level 56 already!

Oh, and I did those Arena matches in Cata. As Arcane. So... Yeah ;)
Edited by Naishee on 11/29/2012 10:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/29/2012 10:04 AMPosted by Naishee

I'm a PvPer since when? I have done 12 Arena matches total. Won 8, lost 4. And that's it.

Fail troll is fail? Go get to level 56 already!

Oh, and I did those Arena matches in Cata. As Arcane. So... Yeah ;)

37000 HK's and you call yourself a PvE'er? LOL

You've spent at least hundreds of hours racking that up.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
http://www.noxxic.com/wow/dps-rankings/realistic-dps

http://www.noxxic.com/wow/dps-rankings/maximum-dps

God forbid you easy modes get bored.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
noxxic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtNHuqHWefU
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
37000 HK's and you call yourself a PvE'er? LOL

You've spent at least hundreds of hours racking that up.

All of them except maybe a dozen from random BGs.

Random BGs is serious PvP, folks. I am apparantly a PvPer and not a PvEer because of that.

http://www.noxxic.com/wow/dps-rankings/realistic-dps

http://www.noxxic.com/wow/dps-rankings/maximum-dps

God forbid you easy modes get bored.

You linked to Noxxic, which everybody worth their salt know is completely worthless, in every way.
Reply Quote

1. Mages are fine.
2. You're wearing your quest greens and blues, so you should be trying to gear up via heroics.
3. Instead you're reforging your pre-heroic gear for the raid hit cap, which is stupid.
4. This is compounded by the fact that you're a fire mage, and reforging for raid-hit leaves you with no crit. So of course your dps is terrible.
5. If you want to raid while having low gear levels, do not spec fire.
6. Our PvE rotations have gotten significantly more complicated for both AoE and single target, which isn't really a bad thing.
7. You just hit the level cap, stop trying to compare your dps to people that have been geared up for two months.
8. Your main complaint about the lack of fun has been the lack of dps. Take it from me, mages are right at the top of the charts for dps.

This post says everything I would say as well. However, the stress should be focused on your reforging for hit. If you aren't raiding yet, reforge some of that hit to crit... it'll help. I recommend askmrrobot if you aren't sure what you should reforge. You can set it for 5 man dungeon runs instead of raiding.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage

Your posting as a 55 DK, flaming people's nerd points. Go away.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]