Lore Question for character backstory...

32 Human Hunter
So I was thinking about having my character be half human, half dwarf (rather than the typical half human half elf that has flooded the realm). Would this work lore wise and if so, how would both societies generally view this figure?
Reply Quote
It would possibly, maybe doable, but don't act like a special snowflake.

Also, don't try it.

If you ask any RP'er even in another game, you will be told that half-races are completely shunned by all.

That's all I got.
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
I have a pair of sisters I RP as war orphans found in the Thunder Falls area as small children on the verge of starvation and there's no record of who their parents were so they are trying to find clues on who they are. Due to the fact both are short of stature for human women and the elder sister likes her ale and fighting, there's a running joke they might be part Dwarf; that was started out of the taunts of fellow orphans in the orphanage in Stormwind for their small builds. If they are or not part Dwarf, I have yet to decide as RPing the elder sister's never-ending quest to find out who their parents were is part of the fun....
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Rogue
You might want to do your reseach a bit more into dwarves. They are essentially a Titan creation, if you go through the questlines and follow the dwarven lore in Uldaman. Check out this site and do some serious soul searching.

http://www.wow.joystiq.com/2010/05/29/know-your-lore-current-alliance-politics-the-dwarves-part-o/

I highly doubt any human is going to be attracted to dwarves for looks, even if the females are kind of cute. It is doubtful they would cross or even produce viable offspring. The idea of a halfbreed has been shot down many times for a reason. It is just not considered a very good way to rp. There will be plenty of people who will think of it as a joke and make fun of you.

There is plenty of leeway for you to make a human as far as what kind of place you have them from and their backstory need not be complicated. There are seven different human Kingdoms to choose from. Each can offer a slightly different culture and viewpoint to create an interesting backstory without resorting to half breeds.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
You might want to do your reseach a bit more into dwarves. They are essentially a Titan creation, if you go through the questlines and follow the dwarven lore in Uldaman. Check out this site and do some serious soul searching.

http://www.wow.joystiq.com/2010/05/29/know-your-lore-current-alliance-politics-the-dwarves-part-o/

I highly doubt any human is going to be attracted to dwarves for looks, even if the females are kind of cute. It is doubtful they would cross or even produce viable offspring. The idea of a halfbreed has been shot down many times for a reason. It is just not considered a very good way to rp. There will be plenty of people who will think of it as a joke and make fun of you.

There is plenty of leeway for you to make a human as far as what kind of place you have them from and their backstory need not be complicated. There are seven different human Kingdoms to choose from. Each can offer a slightly different culture and viewpoint to create an interesting backstory without resorting to half breeds.

Humans are also creations of the Titans, as are gnomes.

And there is a gnome/human couple in Sholazar Basin - not a dwarf/human, but that coupling right there kind of shuts down the 'may not find one another attractive'.

To the OP, there's someone on Moon Guard who RPs a half-human half-dwarf, if you plan on going through with it don't just make them a 'rather short human'. Your character would likely be exceptionally short and rather stout - but not to the same extents as a dwarf. They'd probably be 'tall, and rather slender, for a dwarf and yet very short and rather plump for a human'.

Consider a higher alcohol tolerance than a regular human as well, and - unlike with half-elves - I can't really see much derision to a half-dwarf from the majority of either race. Unlike the bad blood between humans and elves, dwarves and humans have always been strong allies and good friends. The child might not exactly be celebrated as a union between the two races, but it wouldn't face the same hatred as the half-elves once did.

Honestly, the only half-breed I could see dwarves vehemently despising would be half Dark Iron dwarf :P
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
there is no record in lore of dwarves mingling with any other race but their own

not that i can think of anyway

11/29/2012 04:01 PMPosted by Maoseitun
And there is a gnome/human couple in Sholazar Basin - not a dwarf/human, but that coupling right there kind of shuts down the 'may not find one another attractive'.

it's also not normal

in the same way irl how few people are attracted to dogs >.>

It would possibly, maybe doable, but don't act like a special snowflake.

it would be a special snowflake nonetheless
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
There are some cross-breeds that shouldn't be done...and others that are actually sensible. This is probably one of them. I say it's doable as long as you have a good reason on how said toon came to be, other than that, I got nothing compared to Silver...

Wait, Silver, weren't you a Pandaren before? >_>
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
11/29/2012 07:08 PMPosted by Cøron
This is probably one of them

i don't think so just for the fact that they haven't been seen AT ALL in lore

does it make sense? yes, entirely, i agree to this

has it actually happened? has there been any hint of it happening? no, none at all

realize that half-breeds in wow are completely rare to begin with
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
and also

consider the fact that up until the rise of the scourge and the third war that humans and dwarves HAD VERY LITTLE CONTACT AT ALL

and if such a cross-breed were to exist

the character would be a teenager at best
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
and also

consider the fact that up until the rise of the scourge and the third war that humans and dwarves HAD VERY LITTLE CONTACT AT ALL

Hence

the reason why I said:

I say it's doable as long as you have a good reason on how said toon came to be
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
but the fact that it has never happened before if you rp as a half-dwarf you would be one in a million

and deserve some kind of lore shout out

our made up toons cannot have this

i wouldn't rp as a half-dwarf for that very reason
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
11/29/2012 07:08 PMPosted by Cøron
Wait, Silver, weren't you a Pandaren before?

Yep.

11/29/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Dragonson
but the fact that it has never happened before if you rp as a half-dwarf you would be one in a million

2 in a million, there is a half-dwarf half-human RPer on Moon Guard prior to the creation of this thread.
Reply Quote
89 Human Paladin
and also

Except that in the lore, humans first encountered dwarves about 1800 years before the First War (roughly when the humans and high elves became allies). According to Wowpedia, contact between the two races increased after that -- including humans teaching the Dwarves to speak and write common, which we know Dwarves were fluent in by the Second War from having had Dwarven and Gnomish units in Warcraft II (circa 30 years before where we are in lore currently, right?)
(And, yes, there ARE Dwarves in Warcraft II. The Orcs attacked Khaz Modan too.)

There is literally no reason NOT to do this. As always, if you think you can do it well, and there's nothing in lore that prohibits it (there isn't).... do it. I will warn, if you want to do this right you need to really understand dwarven culture, human culture, the relationship between the two AND how they respond to half-breeds -- we've seen that humans don't care much for half-breeds, and given that dwarves really only begrudgingly shared their turf with gnomes temporarily, they're probably not really into sharing their gene pool either. But that's just how I'd play it, and that's without really extensively looking into it.
Edited by Crayauchtin on 11/29/2012 9:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Human Rogue
There is literally no reason to do this

I just thought I'd go ahead and fix that quote up for you real fast, seeing as oyu got it horribly wrong.

Seeing as I'm lazy, I'll just whip out a few very fast arguments against halfbreeds.

1: You should, from a realistic perspective, be RPing a several old day baby who's sunken to the bottom of a lake and is being eaten by the fishes. Doesn't make for great story arcs.

2: Being a half breed adds absolutely nothing to an RP which couldn't be gotten from a more viable, less extreme choice. It's just a declaration of "LOOK AT ME! I R SPECUL!"

3: Anyone who thinks they can pull a half-breed off should not be RPing a half-breed. The people who think they couldn't have enough lore knowledge and RP awareness to be able to pull off a half breed correctly and realisticly, where as the ones who are confident will butcher it and probably just want to do it to be snowflakes.

4: I said no.

5: Silverflame said yes. That's always a bad sign.

6: Warcraft is a cannon in which the main writer (I like to call them Arch Writers. :3) has already said that halfbreeds are extraordinarily rare, never well received, and generally don't live long due to racism.
Reply Quote
29 Draenei Shaman
Half races are not a good thing to rp, because as already mentioned, racism would mean that the offspring of a mixed race couple would be lucky to see it's fifth birthday. The fact that half race lore characters alone are rare should warn you that it's not a generally accepted thing.

A lot of rp'ers who care about the lore will see a half breed as someone wanting to make their character stand out from among the crowd, wanting their character to be special. The truth is, we're not special, we are just ordinary members of our race caught up in extra-ordinary circumstances.

It takes imagination and creativity to make a simple character interesting, the special snowflake characters don't show a lot of either. Also, the special snowflake characters tend to get stuck and eventually become boring as they are usually one dimensional and have no real substance to them.

A friend of mine that I lost touch with years ago used to have a saying "looks last you 30 seconds and then you are on your own" in this case, I would say "being a <insert special snowflake character here> lasts you 3 minutes and then you're on your own." You don't get a lot of time to make people interested in your character and if you can't show the imagination and creativity to play a character well, then you won't get much rp.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
11/30/2012 12:16 AMPosted by Hallinton
: Silverflame said yes. That's always a bad sign.

Hallinton said no. That's an even worse sign.

11/30/2012 12:16 AMPosted by Hallinton
6: Warcraft is a cannon in which the main writer (I like to call them Arch Writers. :3) has already said that halfbreeds are extraordinarily rare, never well received, and generally don't live long due to racism.

At one time half-elves were barely accepted by the Alliance but are still dedicated to the Alliance cause. They were not fully accepted as they did not fit in with either their human or high elf societies, or even night elves (who were suspicious of their high elven ancestry), and were viewed with prejudice by both of their parent races. While they were dedicated to helping the Alliance they also held the dream of settling their own nation and asked for help from the Alliance. Others felt like taking things into their own hands and left the alliance lands setting up settlements with or without support from their allies.

However, views have been changing in recent years and they are slowly being accepted by both of their parent races according to the Alliance Player's Guide, as wars and strife have proven how petty such prejudice is. They are also said to be proud of their heritage, and name, though they tend to be fairly humble in nature. In many enlightened cities, half-elves find little of the historic discrimination.

Most humans have finally accepted them into society. Because humans are more easily accepting of them, they tend to socialize more with them. However, some prejudice still exists, especially from many high elves who are scornful of them and may or may not attempt to hide such feelings.

Older but, considering nothing exists to counter what it said, valid.

Only about half-elves, but still.
Reply Quote
29 Draenei Shaman
Umm ...Silver, you do realise that the information in that quote from wowpedia contains information taken from one of the RPG books and as the rpg books have been de-cannonised by blizzard it is no longer valid to use?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
11/30/2012 02:19 AMPosted by Kassalla
Umm ...Silver, you do realise that the information in that quote from wowpedia contains information taken from one of the RPG books and as the rpg books have been de-cannonised by blizzard it is no longer valid to use?

*Pinches bridge of nose*

Did you read the entirety of the italicized text and skip the non-italicized at the bottom?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
RP whatever you want.

It's a game, have fun with it.
Reply Quote
29 Draenei Shaman
11/30/2012 01:33 AMPosted by Maoseitun
Older but, considering nothing exists to counter what it said, valid.

You mean this bit?

I would assume that Blizzard de-cannonising the rpg books where the information in the italicised part came from, IS a counter to what it said and so makes that whole article invalid
Edited by Kassalla on 11/30/2012 2:47 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]