Looking for help to get started using the API

looking to get some help either through the forums or through skype or something. Basically I would some day like to be able to allow the user to pick a realm and type in a item so they can see the current prices of the auctions of that item (on my website). But that can wait just looking for some tips on how to get started using the WoW API.

Links to other threads would be appreciated or a respond to this topic
Edited by Zokorzik on 11/29/2012 4:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Troll Rogue
Tell us what programming languages you know and are comfortable using. What other stuff have you written?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I am trying to learn how to use WoW Api to display info onto my website. I have a basic understanding of html, css, php, mysql, c# and some others.
Reply Quote
I have knowledge of HTML and CSS. I have a basic knowledge of java ( i am taking a class on that), and i plan on learning a bit about mysql.

I have written basic programs in java (hello work, simple math stuff ect)

I have written multiple websites using HTML and CSS.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
@Zokorzik: Java, while CAN be used in a web environment, isn't going to be your ideal solution for what you're talking about. Since you said you know HTML and CSS, and only basic Java, I would gather you would prefer to use either JavaScript (NOT the same as Java..) or PHP, depending on the server setup you have.

Some things to know are: PHP is server-side and requires you to have a web server that supports PHP (basically all of them but double check to be sure). In this situation, you would want to look up how to use either the cURL library, or get to know the function file_get_contents() for quick easy lookups (though you really can't do this for the AH). Then learn about parsing JSON with PHP. Similar you could do that with JavaScript which will work regardless of what server you have, assuming the person has javascript enabled in their browser settings (most people do). Either Way you'll want to learn how JSON works, and working with arrays. For a list of all the queries you can send to blizzard, short examples, and all the returned fields, take a look at the blizzard documentation in the sticky thread on this forum. Blizzard has done a great job outlining everything

Same goes for you Shinsuna.. You mention C# though, you can use that as well if you have a windows server and use ASP.NET for the website, or you could make an actual executable client..

orrrr... shameless plug... you could make something in HTML5/JS OR C# and put it on the windows 8 store and get it to all the people with windows phones, windows tablets, and windows 8 OS ;)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
I LIKE WAFFLES
Reply Quote
@Zokorzik: Java, while CAN be used in a web environment, isn't going to be your ideal solution for what you're talking about. Since you said you know HTML and CSS, and only basic Java, I would gather you would prefer to use either JavaScript (NOT the same as Java..) or PHP, depending on the server setup you have.

Some things to know are: PHP is server-side and requires you to have a web server that supports PHP (basically all of them but double check to be sure). In this situation, you would want to look up how to use either the cURL library, or get to know the function file_get_contents() for quick easy lookups (though you really can't do this for the AH). Then learn about parsing JSON with PHP. Similar you could do that with JavaScript which will work regardless of what server you have, assuming the person has javascript enabled in their browser settings (most people do). Either Way you'll want to learn how JSON works, and working with arrays. For a list of all the queries you can send to blizzard, short examples, and all the returned fields, take a look at the blizzard documentation in the sticky thread on this forum. Blizzard has done a great job outlining everything

Same goes for you Shinsuna.. You mention C# though, you can use that as well if you have a windows server and use ASP.NET for the website, or you could make an actual executable client..

orrrr... shameless plug... you could make something in HTML5/JS OR C# and put it on the windows 8 store and get it to all the people with windows phones, windows tablets, and windows 8 OS ;)

i am learning java in school cause i want too c: I will look into php and javascript and json. However about the blizzard examples none of them seem to work for me like the websites are just line after line of code no actual example maybe i am just looking at the wrong threads
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
After looking around for a couple of days, this is what i got. You use json to pull a string of info from blizz, put it into an array, and then have the page pick the info from the array. Is the string below how the string looks after being pulled from the website?

{"name":"FORSAKEN","realm":"Arthas","membercount":647,"side":0,"created":"2009-10-04T06:46:25-05:00","emblem":{"borderStyle":4,"emblemStyle":92,"borderColor":1,"borderHex":"ff6d452e","emblemColor":1,"emblemHex":"ff672300","bgColor":45,"bgHex":"ff0e1a1e"},"ranks":[{"rankid":0,"name":"Lickmaster"},{"rankid":1,"name":"Guild Master"},{"rankid":2,"name":"Officer"},{"rankid":3,"name":"VIP"},{"rankid":4,"name":"Warrior"},{"rankid":5,"name":"Member"},{"rankid":6,"name":"Trial"}]}

Is this pretty much it, or is there more.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You may be interested in this quicky JSONP tutorial I put together

http://www.strategytraderhelp.com/wow/jsonp/

I wrote one about making an item cache:

http://www.strategytraderhelp.com/wow/item/

I started one on AH api, but it is largely incomplete, but has some good info none-the-less:

http://www.strategytraderhelp.com/wow/

Let me know what topics interest you. I am well versed in virtually all web technologies except for Ruby (on Rails).

It's worth noting that your initial desire will carry with it a caveat. The AH API only updates the listing of current prices (auctions) once "in a while." Typically this means your display may lag behind actual current prices by up to 1-2 hours or more.
Edited by Laurabelle on 12/6/2012 9:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thnx for the info Laurabelle, I will look it over and hopefully start writing some code.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]