Origin of the Mogu

90 Undead Warlock
I'm sure the lore team already has a storyline developed for the origin of the Mogu. However... since it's fun to speculate, here's my theory:

The mogu were originally dire trolls of the Zandalari tribe.

Here are some of the things we know about the Mogu:

* The Mogu originated as a race of wild brutes which stumbled into magical waters of the Vale of Eternal Blossoms. (Dire trolls fit the description of "wild brutes".)
* The Mogu were known to have strong ties with Zandalar Tribe before the Sundering and were tight allies during the war for Pandaria. (Zandalar trolls do not ally with non-trolls, so it would make sense for the Mogu to have troll origins.)
* Unlike "lesser races" that need schooling in the arts of magic, the ability was innate in the Mogu. (Night elves are descended from trolls that discovered the Well of Eternity; that process of uplift gave night elves powerful, innate magical abilities.)
* The Mogu often preferred to use slaves to build their massive monuments. (Goblins originally lived as slaves to the trolls; it's possible that the trolls had more slave races.)
* The Mogu were continually at war with the mantid, and built the Serpent's Spine all to contain them. (The mantid may have been an aqir race, and as such, mortal enemies of the trolls.)

All of this is speculation and circumstantial at best, but I think it's a reasonable theory until we get more information.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
None of your points are bad. I approve this pure speculation theory!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Neat idea
Reply Quote
I like the idea, but I have one question.

The Mogu are made out of stone, correct? How would Dire Trolls and stone be connected (unless they came from The Hobbit).
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight

The Mogu are made out of stone, correct? How would Dire Trolls and stone be connected (unless they came from The Hobbit).
If Mogu are stone now, it's because they transferred their souls from their original organic bodies to stone ones for whatever reason. Immortality? Who cares.

I don't think it's 100% confirmed what exactly is the nature of run-of-the-mill Mogu, though. We have very specific examples of "stone" Mogu and there is a very clear visual difference.

Until it is demonstrated otherwise, I choose to believe that Mogu are thick-hided organics with odd anatomical characteristics on account of the fact that they have the magic to pretty much make themselves look like whatever they want.
Reply Quote
Understandable, though even their hair has stone-like qualities when you look at the art for them.

If Mogu did, in fact, transfer their souls to stone bodies, perhaps the reason wasn't immortality, but for better defense. Simple and even martial weapons would have a hard time penetrating stone.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

Until we find out more about the mogu (such as their being Titan creations or whatever), the best source of information about them is from archaeology. The in-game archaeology text for the mogu states,

The life-giving waters of the valley enabled a race of brutes to grow to enormous size, strength and intelligence.

However... +1 for an awesome Hobbit reference.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

If Mogu are stone now, it's because they transferred their souls from their original organic bodies to stone ones for whatever reason. Immortality? Who cares.

I don't think it's 100% confirmed what exactly is the nature of run-of-the-mill Mogu, though. We have very specific examples of "stone" Mogu and there is a very clear visual difference.

Until it is demonstrated otherwise, I choose to believe that Mogu are thick-hided organics with odd anatomical characteristics on account of the fact that they have the magic to pretty much make themselves look like whatever they want.
Isn't it established that they used Titanic machinery to give themselves a layer of stone over their flesh? Or was that just a fan theory?

What I personally want to know about them is how they have an unparalleled understanding of Titan technology. They far eclipse the dwarves or gnomes, the latter of which have spent generations researching their ancestry, going so far as to repurpose the Engine of Nalak'sha and a fabricator. Maybe it's just something they were granted by the Vale's waters or by the Engine, like I guess Cho was.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
11/30/2012 08:04 AMPosted by Daralii
What I personally want to know about them is how they have an unparalleled understanding of Titan technology. They far eclipse the dwarves or gnomes, the latter of which have spent generations researching their ancestry

The dwarves and gnomes started out as Titan constructs, but they were corrupted by the curse of flesh and forgot their origins. So while the dwarves and gnomes have to re-discover their past, it doesn't look like the mogu have that problem.

Also, the mogu were uplifted by the waters of the vale, giving them superior intelligence and magical powers. The dwarves and gnomes did not have that process of uplift.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
11/30/2012 08:04 AMPosted by Daralii
What I personally want to know about them is how they have an unparalleled understanding of Titan technology. They far eclipse the dwarves or gnomes, the latter of which have spent generations researching their ancestry, going so far as to repurpose the Engine of Nalak'sha and a fabricator. Maybe it's just something they were granted by the Vale's waters or by the Engine, like I guess Cho was.

I'd say it was because the mogu have had a longer of a time to study the technology and they have a distinct lack of caring for anyone they would have experimented on to perfect it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I don't believe Mogu are made of stone. Rather I think they manipulate them for their usage. Hence why you find a construct machine in the MV.

The "stone" warriors of the Mogu are a reference to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terracotta_Army
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
Personally I'm hoping they have a connection to Draenei somehow. I recall during the first visit to one of the early cities in Pandaria where little panda children followed me around they said "you walk like a Mogu."

Being a space faring race might explain their innate magic and understanding of Titan tech. Plus I'm just wanting Blizz to stop forgetting about the other races and include them in the storyline more.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Personally I'm hoping they have a connection to Draenei somehow. I recall during the first visit to one of the early cities in Pandaria where little panda children followed me around they said "you walk like a Mogu."

That really dosn't seem likely. That line about how they walk is probably just a little nod to the fact that Draenei and Mogu use the same skeleton.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
I didn't really think they would actually be CONNECTED as in like related or descendants etc.

I do however think it could be entirely possible they are not from Azeroth originally.

Also, who's to say Draenei were not constructs of other Titans or Titan-like beings as well and the same ones who made them made the Mogu too(perhaps they had a thing for goat legs in their designs.)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
I think it could be that the Mogu descended from the Quilen, Titan created or Dire Trolls since they sort of Resemble them and would make sense since they would share same origins of the Night Elves.

Since the Mogu were a wild race of brutes meaning they could of been humanoid Quilen like men that roamed Southern Kalimdor's mountains and Jungles until they wondered upon the mystic Waters of the Vale. Quilen may have been products of the Titans aswell.

Dire Troll Origin would be. A Small group of outcasted Dire Trolls as "mutants or freaks" and they happen to stumble upon the Vale's waters and evolved over the centuries to what they are now. Night Elves have sharp fangs that used to be tusk well so do the Mogu.

A Theory of mine is that they my have had similar theoretical origins as I had the Orc, Ogres and Giants of Draenor is that the Mogu may have been Earth Elementals and other Elementals that were transformed by the Vale's Water into what they are now.

To me they have a Orcish resemblance but the first contact we had with Draenor's denizens is when the Dark Portal open(I may be wrong and Broxigar doesn't count) So that defeats my Giants of Draenor/Orcish linage theory.
Edited by Mythionir on 11/30/2012 2:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
11/30/2012 02:47 PMPosted by Mythionir
To me they have a Orcish resemblance but the first contact we had with Draenor's denizens is when the Dark Portal open(I may be wrong and Broxigar doesn't count) So that defeats my Giants of Draenor/Orcish linage theory.

Unless you factor in the Caverns of Time. Orcs have already traveled to the past for the War of the Ancients. Now that the Bronze Dragonflight has been demoted, there's no reason that orcs in the future couldn't force their way back to pre-historic Kalimdor and "accidentally" discover the Vale.
Reply Quote
72 Human Death Knight

I'd say it was because the mogu have had a longer of a time to study the technology and they have a distinct lack of caring for anyone they would have experimented on to perfect it.

A question I have is this, what was the purpose of the engine of Nalak'sha? All we are ever told is that the Mogu repurposed it to advance their empire, and created Elegon to protect it.
Edited by Nalric on 12/2/2012 4:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
This... is actually a very interesting theory.

And is far better than Blizzard pulling a random race out of their pooper and saying they were there the whole time.
Reply Quote
76 Troll Shaman
This is an interesting theory. I would like to add a few points.

1. We know that a faction of Zandalari trolls split from the original tribe and later went on to found the Twin empires. The Mogu might have been a few who came in the direction of Pandaria.

2. We also have to take into consideration the role of the curse of flesh in all this. The mogu might have been a titan construct transformed due to Curse of flesh. This might account for their familiarity with Titan machines.

3. The alliance between Zandalari and Mogu might have been one of necessity since both those empires were powerful and probably because they respected each other. Since they were close in territory before the Sundering this might very well be the case.

P.S : Also about the Mogu being stone. They create a body through stone/body parts and then imbue it with spirit before bending the flesh(Quoting the Dagger in dark scenario here).
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
12/02/2012 06:11 AMPosted by Ttm
2. We also have to take into consideration the role of the curse of flesh in all this. The mogu might have been a titan construct transformed due to Curse of flesh. This might account for their familiarity with Titan machines.

It's certainly possible, but it sounds like an awfully convoluted backstory for something that is basically new. The draenei and - more specifically - the broken have a convoluted backstory, but then, they were in the game and lore for a lot longer. There were more opportunities for different writers to contradict themselves and other writers to forget some of the basics of that story.

So, the broken started out as eredar, left Argus with the draenei, and then succumbed to the fel energies of the Burning Legion - but that's all a bunch of retcons to introduce the actual draenei, after having already described the eredar as the race of demons who seduced Sargeras.

Not saying it couldn't happen, but since the current, official word from Blizzard is, "race of brutes who found the waters of the Vale", I'm going to put curse of flesh / Titan construct on the back burner.

12/02/2012 06:11 AMPosted by Ttm
3. The alliance between Zandalari and Mogu might have been one of necessity since both those empires were powerful and probably because they respected each other. Since they were close in territory before the Sundering this might very well be the case.

I find this unlikely. The troll empires appear to have been hostile to every single race they encountered, no matter how close in proximity or how powerful. The trolls seem to hate everything that isn't a troll, and they want to dominate everything they see. Yet the trolls don't hate the mogu, and the mogu didn't enslave the trolls.

I'll admit that I haven't "finished" the expansion yet, but I haven't heard of so much as a skirmish or battle between the two races, whose governments appear to have been Imperial dictatorships. Both races were quick to go to war with "outsiders" - which makes it sounds like neither race is an outsider to each other.

Edited a typo.
Edited by Plagueworm on 12/2/2012 9:16 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]