Origin of the Mogu

90 Undead Warlock
The mogu never fought the night elves they were defeated beforehand by the rebellion.

EDIT:

Also, the Vale seems to be different from the well, not nearly as powerful at least.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing.
In this particular discussion:
* I mentioned that the mogu have a peaceful, friendly relationship with the trolls.
* Kellick pointed out that troll empires of that time spanned the entire continent and had defeated the aqir.
* I pointed out that the same troll empires were overthrown by elves. Elves.
* Kellick then pointed out that the elves had a monopoly on a well of unlimited power.
* To which I pointed out that the mogu also appeared to have a monopoly on a well of unlimited power.

No one ever said the mogu fought the night elves. Also, we have no way of knowing how powerful the Vale was or was not. Powerful enough to create the mogu and empower their empire, anyway. Given the arrogance and cruelty of the mogu, I'd say powerful enough so that they wouldn't be afraid of the troll empires and seek a peace accord with them.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
12/02/2012 01:48 PMPosted by Plagueworm
afraid of the troll empires and seek a peace accord with them.

Respect is the thing, not fear.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
12/02/2012 01:57 PMPosted by Skytotem
Respect is the thing, not fear.

Good point. Because nothing says "respect" like the mogu empire...
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Respect.... and Mogu.....

HAH!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
12/02/2012 02:39 PMPosted by Plagueworm
Good point. Because nothing says "respect" like the mogu empire...

No one's been in any position to inspire respect in the Mogu.

Save perhaps the continent spanning empire capable of dealing with the enemy the Mogu could barely contain.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Imo I think they were created by the Titans as a "guardian race" on pandaria like those on Northrend guarding Ulduar. Y'Shaarj was here, so it would make sense. Made of stone and made to be emotionless so they wouldn't hear the whisperings maybe? And to stay unaffected by the Curse of Flesh..
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
12/02/2012 03:38 PMPosted by Lore
Imo I think they were created by the Titans as a "guardian race" on pandaria like those on Northrend guarding Ulduar. Y'Shaarj was here, so it would make sense. Made of stone and made to be emotionless so they wouldn't hear the whisperings maybe? And to stay unaffected by the Curse of Flesh..

That might require a retcon, however. The archaeology text for mogu specifically says that The life-giving waters of the valley enabled a race of brutes to grow to enormous size, strength and intelligence. Why would the Titans create a race of brutes?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
12/02/2012 04:43 PMPosted by Plagueworm

That might require a retcon, however. The archaeology text for mogu specifically says that The life-giving waters of the valley enabled a race of brutes to grow to enormous size, strength and intelligence. Why would the Titans create a race of brutes?

That sort of depends on who wrote the text. From a Pandaren stand point, they're brutes and oppressive tyrants, because they were enslaved/dominated at one point. But that might be what they were designed to do, so that other races wouldn't go wandering where they shouldn't.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
12/03/2012 12:54 AMPosted by Lore
That sort of depends on who wrote the text. From a Pandaren stand point, they're brutes and oppressive tyrants, because they were enslaved/dominated at one point. But that might be what they were designed to do, so that other races wouldn't go wandering where they shouldn't.

That's true, and an excellent point. But I have to admit I'll be disappointed if the mogu turn out to be the Pandaren version of the tol'vir - stone guardians of a Titan installation who became mortal beings. And it still leaves the question as to why the mogu are so friendly to the trolls.

It would be funny of the Pandaren turned out to be Titan creations, like the dwarves and gnomes, since there doesn't seem to be a precursor race on Pandaria and there's literally no information as to their origin. They're just sort of "there". Pandaren robots struck by the curse of flesh while Y'Shaarj was still around. Kind of funny, highly doubtful.
Edited by Plagueworm on 12/3/2012 9:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
12/02/2012 03:38 PMPosted by Lore

Still there is no evadence that they where created by the titans. Just that they started useing their stuff.

They seam to have no reaverence for the Titans what so ever in fact. No mention at all about ever being stone before they stole the Titan tech. No interaction with the them other then useing their stuff.
Reply Quote
42 Draenei Mage
12/02/2012 11:24 AMPosted by Plagueworm
If the mogu have a troll origin, it makes A LOT more sense for the two races to cooperate and even be on friendly terms.

Not really. If anything it would only validate the Mogu's superiority complex when directed at the trolls. None of the races that have been 'ascended' by their connection to something like the Vale have anything resembling a friendly relationship with their progenitor species.

Nevermind that the Mogu bear absolutely no physical resemblance to the trolls, another departure from every other race that's been generated by the Well/Vale.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
-1 It doesn't explain why they have the build and dance moves of Draenei....
Reply Quote
1 Undead Monk
12/02/2012 09:22 AMPosted by Kellick
The troll empires appear to have been hostile to every single race they encountered, no matter how close in proximity or how powerful.

Except the Orcs, the Mogu, the Wolvar and anyone not attacking their territories.

I have to emphasize the fact that every attempt at diplomacy with the Trolls has been met with success. Each event people cite as examples of the Trolls being universally aggressive can be traced back to someone invading lands that belonged to the Trolls.

The problem lies that the Trolls see every spot they once went to the bathroom as "troll land".
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
12/03/2012 07:16 PMPosted by Grindewalts

Its because blizz is lazy, Jinyu have the same build as male night elves, the sarok have the same build as male worgen, and the wretched has the same build as male forsaken. Just because they have the same build/skeleton doesn't mean they are related.
Edited by Veledis on 12/3/2012 7:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
12/03/2012 07:26 PMPosted by Veledis

Its because blizz is lazy, Jinyu have the same build as male night elves, the sarok have the same build as male worgen, and the wretched has the same build as male forsaken. Just because they have the same build/skeleton doesn't mean they are related.

I was obviously being serious...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]