Courage the Cowardly Dog - Demented Show

43 Tauren Druid
I grew up watching this TV show and thinking it was a funny and scary show because of its jumpscares. There are moments where CGI had horrible monsters that gave kids nightmares and I loved it. After rewatching one episode today for the first time in almost 10 years (im 19 now), Im almost too shocked to even say anything.

It isnt the stupid jumpscares that mystify me, those are just fun moments, but rather the themes to the shows. The episode I saw today was about a barber who was trusted by the psuedo mother of Courage (the young dog who personifies a child). The guy comes to his house and is a scary bastard. He has a creepy smile and he is infatuated with the idea of shaving Courages hair. Towards the end of the episode, the guy gets Courage in the bathroom and locks the door, talking about how he is naughty. He starts shaving the struggling Courage and when he is done, Courage only has a patch of fur on his !@#. The guy smiles and a demented song (sung by children) plays as he makes his way to Courage. The cops break in right then and arrest him.

What the actual $%^-.

Its obvious that this show represented children being molested by close friends of the family. You may think im over reading into it, but please watch the episode. It can be found on Youtube searching Freaky Fred.

I did a bit of research and the series has themes like this littered throughout. Am I the only fool who watched as a child, unknowing of these things?
Edited by Enthrak on 11/21/2012 10:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
43 Tauren Druid
Just wanna say, I didnt make this thread as some moral crusader bs, just an interesting discussion on the dark themes of the show.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
Poor Courage! The old man always treats him so bad! But at least he has Murial (the old woman). She reminds me of my grandmother lol.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
11/22/2012 06:19 AMPosted by Cowbacca
Poor Courage! The old man always treats him so bad! But at least he has Murial (the old woman). She reminds me of my grandmother lol.

She is kind of the only good thing in his life after his real parents were sent off to who-knows-where in a rocket by a demented vet.
Reply Quote
89 Worgen Rogue
I dont really have a problem with it, alot of children shows and movies have hidden meanings meant for adults, even the song ring around the rosie is about the black death. As long as you dont explain to the kid whats actually happening it wont bother them, at least, the show didnt bother me as a kid.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
i loved the show did gave me nightmares
Reply Quote
43 Tauren Druid
It gave me nightmares as well, but I'm talking more about the dark themes that I didn't understand as a kid.

@Mudkippz, thats true I suppose, but damn they have some crazy stuff. One episode is about a domestic abuse victim unable to leave her husband. She was a rabbit and he was a crocodile so it was predator and prey. He pimped her out at one point in it, its kind of crazy imo
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Least it wasnt Cow and Chicken. Or Ren and Stimpy. Invader Zim had it's moments too.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
I adored that show, and still do-- but it IS rather... dark. There are some extremely screwed up themes to it, but... that's what makes it what it is.

Though that demon/were-rabbit still bothers me.

11/22/2012 06:44 PMPosted by Rosenivy
Invader Zim had it's moments too.

Dark Harvest... urgh.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I loved the show as a kid & I have an ep or 2 of it on tape somewhere.

I must say, I was never actually creeped out or scared of it, quite the opposite.

It should return in reruns, I miss it. :(
Reply Quote
I adored that show, and still do-- but it IS rather... dark. There are some extremely screwed up themes to it, but... that's what makes it what it is.

Exactly, its the jumpscares that got me as a kid, like the "You are not perfect moment", but now its the themes.

@KillerCaitie, IDK if anyone will play reruns with the content it has. Cartoons have moved away from that dark style that Courage shows.

Edit: This is OP, wrong toon -_-
Edited by Morkain on 11/23/2012 7:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
11/23/2012 06:22 AMPosted by Arctius
Dark Harvest... urgh.

XD Yup. That one scared me a little when I was younger. Or the one where they turn into bologna.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I love Courage. Watched it all the time as a kid, and loved how dark and creepy it was but of course I couldn't understand the deeper meanings to each episode.

I need to go rewatch them!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I loved the show as a kid & I have an ep or 2 of it on tape somewhere.

I must say, I was never actually creeped out or scared of it, quite the opposite.

It should return in reruns, I miss it. :(

Same here, actually.... except the "have a tape of it" part.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
You're not perfect...perfect...perfect...perfect.... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
*puts on mask* BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
11/26/2012 03:09 AMPosted by Sigilyph
Return the slab
oh gawd nooooooooooooooooooooo
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
11/26/2012 03:09 AMPosted by Sigilyph
Return the slab
This one freaked me out the most.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]