Healing monks, explain this?

100 Draenei Shaman
I am not calling for nerfs. I just don't understand this. LFR Garalon, here was the result on the healing meter:

http://i49.tinypic.com/nysmr6.png

Maybe he was amazing, but his spell selection seems very different than other monks. What's going on here?
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Nothing wrong. He just spam renewing mist and uplift.
The Gift of Serpent healing is ok, mine also same.
To spam uplift, need jab.
Keep Serpent's Zeal up by blackout kick in every 30 sec, and vital mists up by tiger palm will give some eminence healing. Jab and autoattack of Mistweaver give eminence healing.
Nothing wrong at all. Just the hps really very high, his ilvl must be at least 480.
Reply Quote
Standard monk AoE healing, probably did a cancelaura for spinning crane kick to generate aoe chi fast and dumped it into uplift. he might have had it glyphed as well which makes uplift cost mana instead of chi.

Don't worry, it is already getting nerfed in 5.1
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
okay, and? That's a pretty typical healing breakdown for a monk. Eminence doing 6% healing is nothing, he could easily get that from just using xuen and jab. Keep in mind as well that on garalon you can get 2x damage on legs, which if anything means he might be dps'ing less than he could.

100k+ on garalon also isn't anything unusual on 25 mans. We have a lot of passive constant healing and the fight just really favors that.

The only thing I can deduce from your meters is that the people in your LFR were bad and taking too much damage.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
I don't think that this has any problem.

First considering her gear, she has total 9x 320 spirit blue gem (with the help of blacksmith extra 2 gem slots), her normal spirit is 12052 and she is an alchemy, drinking +1000 spirit flask give her another 1320 spirit, with raid buffs, her spirit can hit 14k easily.

A monk can spam her Uplift always as long as she has enough Chi. With her high spirit, keep on Jabbing to gain Chi is totally not a problem.

Next considering the Hps. Hps is totally depends on how many dmg ur raid took during the whole fight. If there were some people always walk into the purple circle and trigger the crush, then raid take a lot of damage from Crush.

Here is the trick. Shaman(Chain heal), Paladin(Holy Radiance), Priest(Prayer of Healing) all need around 2s casting time to heal up the Crush damage, Monk if she has the Chi as always Jabbing (plus she is using Chi Brew, she can gain 4 Chi Free every 1.5min), she can cast her Uplift x2 or x4(with Chi Brew) before other class can even cast your raid healing skill. So of course all healing credit go to her. I bet you guys has quite a lot of overhealing compare to usual.

So I think that this is monk healing mechanic. As long as monk always keep as many people to have the Renewing mist buff as he can, and has a lot of Chi when big raid damage incoming, then monk will top the meter.

77% of her healing come from Renewing and Uplift, so 85k of HPS come from this 2 skills, so... this is not abnormal. Relax. Try to create a monk, level up to 90 before 5.1.0, and try it, you will know.

PS: Why before 5.1.0? Cause Blizzard know that renewing mists travels to 3 persons is too OP so they nerfed it to 2. So wont be that many people getting that buffs, and Uplift won't contribute that much anymore :)
Edited by Xuankong on 11/23/2012 8:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Garalon is designed to make monks shine. There are no other fights where you will see this, so really, 1/16 isn't such a big deal.

Most fights have an aoe damage phase where you use raid cooldowns, but for this one it's the whole fight.

Then again, lots of changes incoming in 5.1
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Do you not read upcoming patch notes? They are getting nerfs.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/23/2012 10:15 PMPosted by Arrabella
Do you not read upcoming patch notes? They are getting nerfs.

Actually when you run the numbers and read all the changes you could argue that Monks are being buffed. Sure we're losing 1 RM and 1 Uplift per RM cast but we're gaining a significant amount of haste, bonus mana through Mana Tea crits, and significantly more Chi for a cheaper mana cost. Even if you assume a 25% raid healing nerf, which is the maximum it will amount to, you have to remember that our single-target healing will be buffed significantly making us far more effective tank healers than we are right now.

The amount of mana we have will go up significantly as well. We will have significantly more Chi generation in 5.1 which will increase the Mana Tea we generate, not to mention Mana Tea will be able to crit and hence we'll get a double dip of mana buffs in 5.1. You also have to remember that our Chi cost spells generate a majority of our healing and with the massive abundance of Chi we'll have this may also drive our healing up.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
11/23/2012 11:09 PMPosted by Empowermonks
Actually when you run the numbers and read all the changes you could argue that Monks are being buffed.

No you couldn't. A few more ticks on ReM won't make up for a 10% cost increase and a 25% nerf to the three largest components of Mistweaver AoE. The nerf to ReM alone would outweigh the "buffs" by an appreciable margin, and you have some other hefty nerfs on top of that.
Reply Quote
Monks aren't getting buffed. Their single-target healing is getting buffed, but their AOE capabilities are being drastically lowered.

Realistically, all they (the devs) need to do now is make it so that the HoT boost of life cocoon is separated from the absorb being active, or it will forever remain a non-tank CD.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
LFR

You should have linked over healing as well.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I can easily explain this. I auto attack the boss with Serpent Zeal buff up constantly, just hitting ReM on cd and making sure to Uplift my !@# off. I can top off my hps at around 120-126k. Depending on how many crits I get in a 25 man. People have been asking me the same questions as well, wondering exactly how I'm doing it. Revival also helps if you're able to hit 25 people with it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Thunder Focus Tea. Wowhead that. As a mistweaver the only good spells are Renewing Mist and Thunder Focus Tea, every other spell is a filler waiting to uplift spam to exploit Mists and Tea. I'm so confused how little people understand at this point of the expansion about it, but apparently people are still clueless.

btw if you're doubled in HPS by a mistweaver you're either a druid or a paladin focusing on tanks. There's no excuse otherwise. Mistweavers will top meters on garalon, but those meters should make the healers there feel ashamed.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
yeh garalon LFR with all those unneeded crushes going off and excessively-high stacks of pungency provides an extreme situation for good use of renewing mists and uplift to make for some silly meters

but it's not too bad for resto shamans either with healing rain, chain heal, healing tide and healing stream totems and pet-boosted boosted ascendency, the same conditions will net you about 90k or so

your screenshot is not so much about the difference between classes, but the difference between players exploiting their class on a specific fight, and to some extent a few ilevels helping them do that as well
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
I am not calling for nerfs. I just don't understand this. LFR Garalon, here was the result on the healing meter:

http://i49.tinypic.com/nysmr6.png

Maybe he was amazing, but his spell selection seems very different than other monks. What's going on here?

That's pretty low output TBH. That fight is pretty much tailored to monk aoe healing. However, it's getting nerfed next patch as the hot will travel to 1 less target and healing spells all cost 10% more (hopefully that doesn't mean jab). Uplift and SCK spam is pretty good on a few fights but what I like about Monk is that you can choose a more traditional healing role or you can be very aggressive with jab/fistweaving and be effective in both roles. I hope Blizzard keeps all those styles viable.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I did over 100k in an LFR just the other day

http://gotnorice.no-ip.org/WoWScrnShot_111712_134228.jpg

Do I get a cookie?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Garalon is a meaningless fight to link, since its practically tailored to Monk style of healing. Post Garajal logs with Resto Shams dominating other classes, and its the same type of thing. Some fights simply have mechanics that are more tailored to one class than another. Garalon happens to be ours, since the fact that the raid is so spread out neuters other healing classes' aoe, but ours doesnt really care about range or people being spread out, so our healing output ends up being much higher than other healing classes. It's really that simple. Meanwhile, on the fight right before Garalon, I feel like a liability to my raid because my healing during the tornado phase is the worst of any class.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
11/24/2012 01:06 AMPosted by Anarri
Actually when you run the numbers and read all the changes you could argue that Monks are being buffed.

No you couldn't. A few more ticks on ReM won't make up for a 10% cost increase and a 25% nerf to the three largest components of Mistweaver AoE. The nerf to ReM alone would outweigh the "buffs" by an appreciable margin, and you have some other hefty nerfs on top of that.

Exactly. For the past month I keep seeing reference to the big nerfs Monks will be getting in 5.1. It's like those posters don't read the patch notes or something. It's a slight nerf to AoE healing if anything and nice Buffs to everything else.
Reply Quote
11/27/2012 06:56 AMPosted by Indyana

Exactly. For the past month I keep seeing reference to the big nerfs Monks will be getting in 5.1. It's like those posters don't read the patch notes or something. It's a slight nerf to AoE healing if anything and nice Buffs to everything else.

25% nerf to aoe healing, increase mana cost across the board except two spells. But yeah the rest are buffs.

25% is not slight.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Why is everyone(Well, all the monks anyway) saying that this fight is the one exception that monks excel in over several other healing classes? You guys have seen the rankings for this tier so far, right? Pretty sure monks dominate almost every fight.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]