The Big Winner in 5.1: MAGES

1 Draenei Hunter
1) No change to frost burst.

2) A simple frost nova now counters Warrior and BM burst CDs

3) Gag Order, their biggest counter, is removed. Mages now counter warriors.

4) Word is they can now spellsteal Demo warlock's aura, being the counter for them as well.

5) Now the ultimate Shaman killer with deep into blanket CS.

6) No significant nerf. Ring CD is the only one that matters, and barely at that.

In before the lovely DDF mages come to complain about how bad they have it. No other class is getting this many indirect buffs in 5.1, and certainly not when they are already so strong.
Reply Quote
64 Worgen Hunter
My paladin is pretty stoked about the Spellsteal nerf. Other than that, yeah nothing changed. 5.1 is shaping up to be pretty bursty.
Reply Quote
11/26/2012 03:41 PMPosted by Talandirlol
getting this many indirect buffs

Huzza gotta take what we can get!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

4) Word is they can now spellsteal Demo warlock's aura, being the counter for them as well.

6) No significant nerf. Ring CD is the only one that matters, and barely at that.

In before the lovely DDF mages come to complain about how bad they have it. No other class is getting this many indirect buffs in 5.1, and certainly not when they are already so strong.

Cause as a Ret Paladin I think to myself, that gag order nerf is going to really suck for me. In fact, no other class cares because you obviously play a Warrior. I don't want one class to counter another class. Battle of the Overpowered.

If Mages need more nerfs I'm sure Blizzard can flip more switches. Keeping Warriors the way they are is just going to fill Arena and BGs with Warriors and Mages. Everyone else can watch and see how it would feel to be OP.
Reply Quote
91 Orc Warrior

If Mages need more nerfs I'm sure Blizzard can flip more switches. Keeping Warriors the way they are is just going to fill Arena and BGs with Warriors and Mages. Everyone else can watch and see how it would feel to be OP.

Making warriors unable to beat mages is good for the health of arena how? The one melee class that can actually take them on somewhat decently now can't, mages are pretty much going to be the top dogs for the rest of the season (now known as Cata 2.0) because a bunch of the 5.1 changes actually don't make any sense.

Hell, buff DKs, make a melee class able to fight mages, right now wizardcleave is all 3s will ever amount to.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Hunter
11/26/2012 05:35 PMPosted by Derpenstein
My paladin is pretty stoked about the Spellsteal nerf. Other than that, yeah nothing changed. 5.1 is shaping up to be pretty bursty.

Oh no! I'll be at 50% Mana all game instead of 80%! Darn that Spellsteal nerf!

11/26/2012 06:02 PMPosted by Judgebringer
If Mages need more nerfs I'm sure Blizzard can flip more switches.

The track record for balancing Mages is promising so far isn't it?
Reply Quote
80 Undead Rogue

Frost was always known for shatter's

Multiple ways of warriors to get back onto a mage after nova is down, hunters hit hard against mages anyway

Blizz admitted this spell is overpowered, hence nerf

Spellsteal nerf included in 5.1

I play a shaman, and i can agree with this one on you but there is grounding, ns+ghw, shaman mastery to survive 1v1

Hard casting ring is easy enough to counter seeing as it is one of 3 spells which a mage uses in arena, can avoid ring if PoM hasn't been used

I feel sorry for shamans in this patch, specifically ele + enhance. A hidden patchnote which is slipped at the bottom of the PTR list.

What about druid nerfs? Demo lock nerfs? DK buffs? Rogue buffs? Holy pally nerfs? Priest buffs?
Edited by Bossinup on 11/26/2012 6:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
64 Worgen Hunter
11/26/2012 06:35 PMPosted by Talandirlol

Oh no! I'll be at 50% Mana all game instead of 80%! Darn that Spellsteal nerf!

NERF! NERF! NERF! NERF! NERF! NERF! NERF!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Making warriors unable to beat mages is good for the health of arena how? The one melee class that can actually take them on somewhat decently now can't, mages are pretty much going to be the top dogs for the rest of the season (now known as Cata 2.0) because a bunch of the 5.1 changes actually don't make any sense.

Hell, buff DKs, make a melee class able to fight mages, right now wizardcleave is all 3s will ever amount to.

Considering the high representation of Warriors, I don't see how this is bad for Arena? You aren't the only class that can beat Mages. Group up with a Hunter, or DKs even. If Mages are OP, which I'm sure they still will be, then let it be obvious to Blizzard. Chances are they'll nerf Mages even further. Otherwise they'll risk a repeat of Cata, where Mages stayed OP the whole Xpac.

Mages biggest problem will be their burst dps. Specifically Frost Bomb. Warrior nerfs or not, doesn't change that both classes needed to be nerfed, to the ground!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Oh look, the class you can play with a steering wheel got another free ride. I'm shocked.

I wouldn't be irate nearly as often if they stopped pretending that faceroll class took any amount of skill. Your cat walks across the key board and you can wipe out half a BG.
Reply Quote
64 Worgen Hunter
Oh look, the class you can play with a steering wheel got another free ride. I'm shocked.

I wouldn't be irate nearly as often if they stopped pretending that faceroll class took any amount of skill. Your cat walks across the key board and you can wipe out half a BG.

Most mages on my server are more than willing to admit that mages are f@cking ridiculious.

Unfortunately it's the mages motivated by agenda and pure bias who end up posting on the forums rather than the reasonable ones.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

The main damage of frost mages comes from Deep freeze and frost bomb. They changed frost bomb and they changed deep freeze. Will mages need further nerfs ?? possibly yes, but to say you need to keep warrior OP just to keep mages in check is just silly talk!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Another blatantly mage favoured season? Is anyone surprised, given who has the final say in balance decisions? (GC mains a mage).

What *does* worry me is that, despite being in a good place for the first time in 2 years, PvP QQ is going to get my beloved destro lock nerfed in PvE before this tier is over. Just watch.
Reply Quote
71 Undead Warlock
11/26/2012 08:41 PMPosted by Sorrów
What *does* worry me is that, despite being in a good place for the first time in 2 years, PvP QQ is going to get my beloved destro lock nerfed in PvE before this tier is over. Just watch.

Didn't GC admit that Destros were pretty balanced right now due to the ramp up time for Chaos Bolt?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
11/26/2012 09:22 PMPosted by Níava

Didn't GC admit that Destros were pretty balanced right now due to the ramp up time for Chaos Bolt?

Because GC is an expert when it comes to PvP balance, right?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

Do you expect Blizz or GC to do anything proper? really bud?

They always do lopsided adjustments... every darn adjustment.
Sometimes you wonder... wtf,
But we all know they play the flip flop game of over doing one class & over nerfing another.. to make people reroll & play other classes. It's all about the money.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Mages have ruled supreme for several xpacs, MOP is no exception.

I can only suggest to the OP that you either re-roll Mage and enjoy the good life, or just get used to it and be like the rest of us. I, long ago, stopped hoping for Mage balance and now simply avoid them in PvP, or if they catch me I go AFK until it's over (much the same as I do for Warlocks and their endless Fears and 100k+ Chaos bolts).

Hey, it could be worse, you could be a Hunter in 5.1 ;)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
11/26/2012 08:41 PMPosted by Sorrów
GC mains a mage

GC mains a Druid, or at least did during Cata :<
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage

He did, before the firing of the lock Dev.

He then went back on that recently and basically said "we are looking at it". Meaning "enjoy your uncompensated nerf back to a worthless spec. But hey! Here's a hint about green fire!"
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]