The Big Winner in 5.1: MAGES

90 Dwarf Hunter
Sometimes I ask myself why I haven't rerolled mage yet.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
If Blizzard offered a paid service to swap classes I would pay whatever they charged to change to a Mage. I am hoping they institute this at some point.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I stopped playing my Hunter back in 09,,, after trying to bring this bug up and a PTR not meaning anything... lol, 3yrs later,.. I'm still sour in the mouth on how they have treated Hunters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyE2ViFjef0&feature=g-upl

(the vid I made was ment to show that certain skills were not going off .. if you're a Hunter I'm sure you can read into it) looking at the procs & such

/sorry Hunters :((((( Blizz has never been able to balance a Hunter as a whole & I'm a sad puppy from it..
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
11/26/2012 09:59 PMPosted by Cortland
If Blizzard offered a paid service to swap classes I would pay whatever they charged to change to a Mage. I am hoping they institute this at some point.

I wish they'd have the gumption to just say "you know something, we haven't done anything with spec X for 5 years now, we're just going to delete that class and give the remaining two specs to classes Y and Z. upon log-in you'll have the option to change your character to one of those."
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Eh....they didn't change our level 90 talents, which is pretty much a condemnation to another few months of non-stop evocating. I'm considering rerolling warlock or shaman actually, since I know I'd enjoy playing them more.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
CFT
11/26/2012 03:41 PMPosted by Talandirlol
1) No change to frost burst.

1s duration off of DF. That's pretty bad. Also, FB detonation increased by 1s (which confused the hell out of me).

2) A simple frost nova now counters Warrior and BM burst CDs

Until someone dispels them.

3) Gag Order, their biggest counter, is removed. Mages now counter warriors.

Lol.

4) Word is they can now spellsteal Demo warlock's aura, being the counter for them as well.

Not sure where this was said, but at 21% Mana, trying to spellsteal a buff won't be optimal when they have 10 crap buffs on them.

5) Now the ultimate Shaman killer with deep into blanket CS.

Because their totem thing got nerfed? Lol.

6) No significant nerf. Ring CD is the only one that matters, and barely at that.

Ring, DF/FB -1/+1 durations, Spellsteal costs over a fifth of my mana bar, Ice Barrier 25% nerf, and a small 10% nerf to Mage Armor. It may not be significant to you, but that's a ton of my utility.

Also, you should complain about Warriors who only lost Gag Order Heroic Throw.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
CFT
11/26/2012 11:12 PMPosted by Thundahstahm

I wish they'd have the gumption to just say "you know something, we haven't done anything with spec X for 5 years now, we're just going to delete that class and give the remaining two specs to classes Y and Z. upon log-in you'll have the option to change your character to one of those."

Genius! Years of gathering Mage tier sets, cloth transmog gear, weapons, and other assorted goodies that will be shattered in one instant!

It's like you're giving Blizzard an idea to bring back the customer-reducing Cataclysm.
Reply Quote
Mages have been strong since classic, its like a wolverine has been hiding in your room for the past 8 years and all of a sudden you started freaking out about it recently.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
11/27/2012 02:18 AMPosted by Searik
Mages have been strong since classic, its like a wolverine has been hiding in your room for the past 8 years and all of a sudden you started freaking out about it recently.

Uhhhh, people have been complaining about mages for 8 years straight, it's nothing new. It's more like you're a little kid getting mauled by wolverine for 8 years while screaming "MOOOOOOOOOOM HEEELP," but mommy can never hear you. She's too busy staring at his abs.

Mages never get any game changing nerfs though. Rogues, DKs, Rets, Warriors, Rdruids, and now Rshamans have gotten completely game changing BIG nerfs at one point or another. Mages get indirect buffs every patch, a slap on the wrist, and a toolkit that counters pretty much every class in the right hands.
Edited by Harcken on 11/27/2012 2:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue

If Mages need more nerfs I'm sure Blizzard can flip more switches. Keeping Warriors the way they are is just going to fill Arena and BGs with Warriors and Mages. Everyone else can watch and see how it would feel to be OP.

Making warriors unable to beat mages is good for the health of arena how? The one melee class that can actually take them on somewhat decently now can't, mages are pretty much going to be the top dogs for the rest of the season (now known as Cata 2.0) because a bunch of the 5.1 changes actually don't make any sense.

Hell, buff DKs, make a melee class able to fight mages, right now wizardcleave is all 3s will ever amount to.

Blizzard isn't balancing around 1v1, so it's pointless to discuss something like warriors being unable to beat mages. But when you write how the one melee class that can take them on somewhat decently, I can't help but think you're forgetting an integral part of arena: los. I don't play a mage anymore (only with one in 2's and he rages at me because of my amazing daggers... lol). Still, I find it hilarious to see how, currently, warriors simply don't give a damn about line of sight. Just spend the whole match in the open doing their thing.
Maybe now players will have to remember why there are pillars to hump when you see a cast bar.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
All of your guys's tears are delicious. I just wanted to take a moment and make all of you down there aware.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Patch 5.1:
Where everyone is rerolling as mages except for mages who are rerolling as shadow priests/warlocks because they're sick of evocating.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
I'm thinking ele/enh shaman because ascendance is such a cool ability. Plus chain lightning has always been one of my favourite themed abilities.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
11/27/2012 02:30 AMPosted by Harcken
Mages never get any game changing nerfs though. Rogues, DKs, Rets, Warriors, Rdruids, and now Rshamans have gotten completely game changing BIG nerfs at one point or another. Mages get indirect buffs every patch, a slap on the wrist, and a toolkit that counters pretty much every class in the right hands.

Cauz mages are pure and very Basic, All Specs Operate Similarly... High Burst and Squishy....

When you take Hybrids into Account especially those Tied to BOTH a Healing and a Tank spec like Rdruid and Paladin Not only do you have to Calibrate the amount of Healing that is done but the amount of Defensive power they have.

And bye.. Healers are never gonna be balanced for pvp....
Click a panel, Save a Life.
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
Warriors were not the only class that could kill a mage 1v1.

Unholy DKs
Frost DKs (if played optimally to bad most suck)
Enhancement Shaman
Feral Druids
Even Windwalker monks (if played well but again most are terribad)

All of those melee specs including Warriors have a 50/50 shot 1v1 against a Frost Mage.
Reply Quote
11/27/2012 02:30 AMPosted by Harcken

Uhhhh, people have been complaining about mages for 8 years straight, it's nothing new. It's more like you're a little kid getting mauled by wolverine for 8 years while screaming "MOOOOOOOOOOM HEEELP," but mommy can never hear you. She's too busy staring at his abs.

They took our detect magic and gave it to everyone. Check aaaand mate!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
1) No change to frost burst.

We lost the ability to go straight from a Frost Bomb in to a DF, and have it explode in the DF. It reduces our burst potential when used against a solo dispeller by a lot. In most cases, we blew up the Frost Bomb with Fireblast, but this definitely hurts our burst potential.

2) A simple frost nova now counters Warrior and BM burst CDs

Cheers for the Avatar nerf! Much needed.

3) Gag Order, their biggest counter, is removed. Mages now counter warriors.

Another good nerf. Warriors will still be incredibly effective against Mages in arenas. Kitty cleave will still be a near worst-case scenario for Mages. Probably more so with the Ice Barrier nerf.

4) Word is they can now spellsteal Demo warlock's aura, being the counter for them as well.

You got this backwards - we used to be able to steal Dark Soul: Knowledge for an 18k mastery boost. It's been changed to be undispellable. Demo locks burst is now completely unstoppable and higher than any other class in the game, I think. Except for 5stack TtW Warriors of course :)

5) Now the ultimate Shaman killer with deep into blanket CS.

Demo Locks, and Warriors still hold that crown I think :)

6) No significant nerf. Ring CD is the only one that matters, and barely at that.

That's actually probably the least important nerf. Non-PoM ring isn't that great. If that were our only nerf, we'd still be incredibly overpowered.

The spellsteal nerf and Ice Barrier nerf are very significant. It wasn't very visibly overpowered, but spellsteal spamming for ~10k health every GCD was a massive defensive ability, especially when spellstealing hots, absorption shields, and damage reduction effects. The fact that we can't really use spellsteal any more than a few times per match now means that we won't use the Spellsteal glyph anymore, and probably not the Evo glyph either since it kind of sucks in 3v3... so we're left with no more self healing except for Coldsnap.

Mage survivability is way, way lower this patch than it was last patch, and although this statement won't be received very well on these forums, it already wasn't very high against competent teams (most Hunter based cleave teams, and comps like Kitty Cleave, and any team with another Mage on it, pretty much exclusively trained Mages with occasional healer/warrior swaps).

In before the lovely DDF mages come to complain about how bad they have it. No other class is getting this many indirect buffs in 5.1, and certainly not when they are already so strong.

We'll probably still be quite powerful, since our instant cast burst potential is still quite high. But the direct nerfs to spellsteal and ice barrier are way more significant than you seem to recognize. Any team that can successfully stick to a Mage (easier now than it's ever been, in my experience) will have a lot more success against them. Hunters and Warriors included.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
That was a long post with a lot of text, but for the most part I don't see the advantage to bringing a Mage over a Demo Lock in most comps. The survivability nerfs, complete dismantling of our offensive dispel, plus the fact that Demo lock burst is now 100% unstoppable with DS:K being undispellable, makes them the new top caster... if they weren't it already :)

Recognize I'm not saying Mages are underpowered - our damage is too high, we can still swap and gib people in deep freezes making us well above average - but that comes at the expense of most of the control and survivability we had at 80/85. We'll be in a sorry state if they ACTUALLY fix our instant cast burst. But they didn't.
Edited by Affx on 11/27/2012 4:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
We'll be in a sorry state if they ACTUALLY fix our instant cast burst. But they didn't.

So this is just thrown in to make it seem like you guys are in a bad place, which you aren't'
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]