Super Sentai / Kamen Rider

100 Goblin Rogue
Thread to discuss title.

Just finished Fourze, enjoyed the antics. Sort of wish the rest of the cast got more screentime, but i get it's a little difficult to explore the entire cast while sticking to monster of the week stuff.

Tryin to make my way through Go-onger, but it's really difficult =/

My buddy's pressin me to watch Agito / Kuuga, they sound interesting enough.

Thoughts on Gobusters / what you want the next series (dino based) to deal with?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Each series is going to appeal to different people.

I really like Kamen Rider Kiva and Decade. Only seen 1 episode of Wizard so far but it looked decent.

same goes for Sentai. Each series has it's own appeal. If you find you don't like one you move on to a different one.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
Each series is going to appeal to different people.

I really like Kamen Rider Kiva and Decade. Only seen 1 episode of Wizard so far but it looked decent.

same goes for Sentai. Each series has it's own appeal. If you find you don't like one you move on to a different one.

basically. Tryin to go through go-onger though is sort of like a last resort. Seen everything that's translated so far, except Gaoranger
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
SoF
Many people complained Fourze wasn't grimdark enough. Which was exactly the point. I honestly enjoyed Fourze far more than I did with OOO. Wizard's great, really great. However, the forms's theme songs feels lacking. Perhaps Fourze did such a good job with the songs(Cosmic Mind blew me away).

Personally, of the Heisei era, my top dislikes would be Kabuto(boring OP hero) and Kiva(too much female fanservice), followed by the 2nd half of Hibiki(after they changed directors at episode 29 or 30). Faiz ranks as my top all time favourite(sexy voice, sexy suit designs etc etc). I could never get into Ryuki due to those suit designs, but otherwise a very good plot. Decade, despite its massive problems, has many awesome moments, such as that Black/Black RX scene. W saved the franchise after Decade nearly tanked it. I'm halfway through Kuuga and Agito myself, but both are really top notched, especially Kuuga. It did revive the franchise after all.

As for Sentai, I've only completed Shinkenger, Gekiranger and Gokaiger. Gokaiger has set far too high of a bar for Go-busters really. People now have extreme expectations that Go-busters are unable to meet. However, I do enjoy Go-busters a lot, especially the dynamic duo that is J and Jin. Also, Enter and Basco are probably the best villains that I've ever seen. Not only do they troll their respective teams, they are also a massive danger as well. Marvelous vs Basco will forever be one of the best fights I've ever seen.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Decade had a lot of cool stuff in it, but it also had a lot of WTF? in it. It did get me hunting down a lot of the older Kamen Rider though

W was awesome. I really enjoyed that one the character relationships were a lot of fun and the Brains and Brawn aspect of it really clever.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
12/02/2012 04:00 AMPosted by Irøh
Many people complained Fourze wasn't grimdark enough. Which was exactly the point. I honestly enjoyed Fourze far more than I did with OOO. Wizard's great, really great. However, the forms's theme songs feels lacking. Perhaps Fourze did such a good job with the songs(Cosmic Mind blew me away).

yeah same here. I really really liked the ensemble cast and the absolute joy over astronomy really tickled the right places for me. Liking wizard so far, although the cgi helper things i dislike as much as i didn't like them in Fourze. I know why they're there (to sell more toys) but still.

And yeah i'm pretty sure everyone dislikes Kiva hahaha.

As for the topic of gobus... i dunno. i've watched all sentai that's been translated so far (except goonger like i said) and it's severely lacking. non existent character growth, pointless monster fights (they fall over with no struggle) rushed messiah storyline with zero payoff, cluster-*&$# mech, not to mention they don't feel like a spy squad at all. There wasn't any point in Dekaranger that i didnt believe they weren't space cops, same goes with other seasons.

That being said, i do agrere that jin and j are amazing. Great to see jin's actor come back from Magiranger. I really like the support staff and really like Ryuji and his power / tradeoff. Feels legit. I agree with you also that Enter (and basco) is a fantastic villain, however his choice of things to turn into monsters left somethign to be desired haha. I like the buddyroids, except yellows is thoroughly useless. Yellow in general is pretty terrible, i mean her super special vaccine power.... is the same power all sentai have had forever heh.

Even with all its many many problems in my mind, however (first sentai ever to "have" to change the opening theme) i still like it a lot more than goseiger.

Kyoryuger is next, and good news is that the director of Fourze will be doing it.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
Started OOOs. Man that's a pretty great beginning. Is it just me or is Ankh also Long from Gekiranger?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
SoF
12/04/2012 07:21 AMPosted by Liadon
Started OOOs. Man that's a pretty great beginning. Is it just me or is Ankh also Long from Gekiranger?

Nope. Two different actors there. I read a recent interview for Joe Odagiri that if Toei wants to make a Kuuga movie, he would be more than willing to reprise his role, which is awesome news. It is kinda disappointing that he wasn't able lend his voice for Kuuga in Chou Climax Heroes this time.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL7sGToPywQ&list

this was amazing. many feels were had
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I loved Gokaiger, I have to say. I've watched from Dekaranger up, but Gokaiger just stuck out for me. xD

I cannot stand Go-Busters. It's just so god awful boring. I'm still watching it, but it's actually painful to watch.

I'm excited for Kyoryuger though, especially since the suits don't look god awful horrible like the busters. The lack of a Yellow Ranger is a bit jarring though.

Not a fan of Kamen Rider.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
SoF
12/06/2012 11:28 PMPosted by Reinhilde
I loved Gokaiger, I have to say. I've watched from Dekaranger up, but Gokaiger just stuck out for me. xD

Gokaiger will forever be regarded as the top of the top. I doubt any series in the near future will topple it from it's throne.

I cannot stand Go-Busters. It's just so god awful boring. I'm still watching it, but it's actually painful to watch.

I'll say that it started out slow, and it definitely took much longer to get going than most other Kobayashi works(Shinkenger, KR OOO, Ryuuki). Pre Stag and Beet was quite a chore to go through, but it does pick up after that, especially the messiah card ongoing arc. I also attribute it's "failure" to Gokaiger, for setting such standard. IMO, Goseiger will be the black sheep. I always nearly fall asleep each time I attempt to watch it.

I'm excited for Kyoryuger though, especially since the suits don't look god awful horrible like the busters. The lack of a Yellow Ranger is a bit jarring though.

It is for quite a few people, considering yellow is typical main stay in the red/blue/yellow team up. However, there are 2 previous teams that did not have a yellow: Changeman and Battle Fever J. I believe the Gobuster suits are fine for the theme(special ops). Beet and Stag do look flamboyant though.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
12/07/2012 02:24 AMPosted by Irøh
Gobuster suits are fine for the theme(special ops)

which would have been OK if they bothered to stick to the theme, which they didn't heh.

That this series shares the same writer as Shinkenger is boggling. Shinkenger was strong thematically, had a great, likable team (even with the final added ranger), a FANTASTIC villain (loved the idea that the final fight was inevitable: the river filled via sorrow, so even if the monsters got killed, the river still kept rising).

I stopped gobus after messiah died oh-so weakly. Can't be bothered to continue. Even the likable aspects (nick, jin & j, cute glasses tech girl, ryuji, the starting concept) can't keep me interested anymore. There's clearly been big trouble behind the scenes like there was with Goseiger (gobus is the only sentai to change the theme song!)

oh well, no matter the quality, let's be thankful at least it isn't Goseiger.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Go-Busters is all over the place - Their "Entire Purpose" was to beat Messiah, and always talked about plans of what to do after they beat him. Then when they do, they still work at the EMC, and none of them have even started going after their dreams? (This is before Enter revealed the Messiah cards, I mean)

I do have to say, I find Escape and Enter more interesting than the Go-Busters themselves.

I actually really love the Kyoryuger suits now that we have higher quality images of them. It's still weird that Pink is a Triceratops, and makes up a third of the megazord. It's really weird seeing a freaking bright pink arm on it. Like, I love pink, but it's still not something I ever expected to see.

I actually liked Goseiger, I have to say.
Edited by Reinhilde on 12/7/2012 11:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
SoF
12/07/2012 11:46 PMPosted by Reinhilde
It's really weird seeing a freaking bright pink arm on it. Like, I love pink, but it's still not something I ever expected to see.

Have you see the Disney mecha? Now that one is crazy bright.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
and then there is this

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/12/10/kamen-rider-beats-james-bond-in-japanese-box-office

Rider Kick to Bond's face.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
and then there is this

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/12/10/kamen-rider-beats-james-bond-in-japanese-box-office

Rider Kick to Bond's face.

don't underestimate the power of a kick-to-the-face from a grown-up in spandex.

So far, really liking OOO, downloaded Den-O. Den-O so far seems to be super comedic and aimed at a younger audience than the other shows. Which, honestly is ok. Same thing happened with other sentai series (like Go-Onger).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
SoF
I just watched the Rurouni Kenshin live action movie, and can't help comparing the Toku vets to their original roles.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
SoF
Posting in this old thread because it's related:

So Gobusters has ended yesterday. SPOILERS AHEAD:

It honestly came as a shock to me that they actually killed Jin off. Holy crap. Considering the disney deaths lately. It saddened me quite a bit, but I have to say, the last few episodes of have been excellent. Jin will likely be back in the next Vs movie, but they better not cheapen his death in anyway.
Edited by Irøh on 2/11/2013 2:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
I haven't watched Gobus since they killed Messiah before the (silly) change to the theme song, but even then i felt they might kill Jin off. Glad to see they pulled the trigger. It's been AGES since they did that
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I really enjoyed OOO, or however the hell you want to say that. Haven't finished it yet.

I'm really struggling to keep myself interested in Sentai as of late. The last series I watched to completion was MagiRanger. That just had something special that the rest of the series just...lacked. Enjoyed Gokaiger for a bit, though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]