Relic of Chi-Ji

90 Draenei Death Knight
Is it really BIS for a holy pally?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Meant to post on this toon, should I get it? I want it, because it makes LOD all badass and awesome looking, but is it better than what I have?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Icy-veins, few other places.

I don't count heroic gear. I have almost no interest in raiding heroics.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
11/28/2012 02:05 PMPosted by Tierná
Meant to post on this toon, should I get it? I want it, because it makes LOD all badass and awesome looking, but is it better than what I have?

To answer your question though, yes it is better than what you have equipped right now. ;)

(The OP logged out in Ret spec.)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
http://elitistjerks.com/f79/t130574-resto_raid_healing_5_05_mop/#Trinkets

A complete list of trinkets for healers. Take a look at the average/static spirit/mp5 and int - decide on which trinkets are possible to obtain given your raiding experience. Then make your own BiS decision.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Unless I was drunk when I did my math, which I don't think that I was... You probably want a Relic. It's only outdone by Heroic Spirits of the Sun.

It has 1157 static Int with a Spirit proc of 3027 for 20s every 45s, giving it an uptime of around 44%. You can determine mana gained from Spirit by multiplying by .564. So, 3027 * .564 is 1707, then by 44% is roughly 751 MP5. With Valor upgrades, it goes up about 30 MP5 each.

Spirits of the Sun (normal) has 1152 static Int, with a Spirit proc of 6908 for 20s every 105s. The longer ICD gives it an uptime around 19% and you'd gain about 742 MP5.

Don't let the iLvl fool you. It's absolutely amazing for a 476, yet there are 489 and 496 trinkets I wouldn't even touch.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Even not counting heroic gear, Spirits of the Sun is a direct upgrade for throughput and regen. The Will trinket is also better throughput and regen.

So no, even on normals it's not BiS. Like, seriously, look at wowhead - just by ilvl it's worse. And that's why people do say not to take those sites as gospel.

Icy-veins in particular has really bad class guides. Like really bad. Their raid/dungeon stuff is good, that's about it.

Int procs are always worse than static Int/Spirit procs. They are unreliable, very likely to be wasted and more importantly, can leave you 3-4K spellpower short when you truly need it. On the good side, Polarizing Seal drops from a relatively easy hard mode. Either way, you should be judging items by their budget and stat allocation. Relic of Chi Ji is extremely overbudgeted.

So yes, Relic of Chi Ji (484) and Spirits of the Sun (N/H) are BiS this tier. Unless you are a shaman and your raid needs the extra mana from MTT.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
The trinket was hotfixed and no longer changes the animation to LoD. Thank god.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Int procs are always worse than static Int/Spirit procs. They are unreliable, very likely to be wasted and more importantly, can leave you 3-4K spellpower short when you truly need it. On the good side, Polarizing Seal drops from a relatively easy hard mode. Either way, you should be judging items by their budget and stat allocation. Relic of Chi Ji is extremely overbudgeted.
Have you seen the uptime on the Seal? :P

At most 44% uptime? 45ICD means it doesn't line up with most specials. In the end, you're sacrificing 1.2K Int (and some spirit) in hopes of getting 2-3K more spellpower when you might need it. You don't need to be a math major to figure out that it's very unlikely to line up in most encounters. If "you don't need the int anyway", you might as well just use DMC and get more reliable int and spirit.

I don't know about you, but when I'm topping people off after a special (i.e.: Crush), I only care about my throughput for those 5-10 seconds. If that trinket isn't always doing something for me when I need it, it's not good.
Edited by Mintia on 11/28/2012 3:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
11/28/2012 03:53 PMPosted by Mintia
If that trinket isn't always doing something for me when I need it, it's not good.

This.

In comparison, a Spirit proc is almost always going to be useful in a raiding situation.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Lol relic of chi ji is amazing. And yea theres a good one in ToES but you have to get there first. Also our light of dawn does not blind people now.

Be realistic
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
11/28/2012 04:09 PMPosted by Elethia
If that trinket isn't always doing something for me when I need it, it's not good.

This.

In comparison, a Spirit proc is almost always going to be useful in a raiding situation.

Yep yep, you can regen mana at any point in the fight, but you might not always need huge heals when a int buff procs
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Here is what I have, incase I didnt log out in holy again

Qin-xi's Polarizing Seal (Raid Finder)
http://www.wowhead.com/item=86805
Jade Courtesan Figurine (Regular)
http://www.wowhead.com/item=87081

I have figurine macroed to about everything I can think of so it get's used on cooldown.
Edited by Tierná on 11/29/2012 11:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
11/28/2012 02:21 PMPosted by Sparklefever
So no, even on normals it's not BiS. Like, seriously, look at wowhead - just by ilvl it's worse. And that's why people do say not to take those sites as gospel.

ilvl on trinkets is not as telling as ilvl on other pieces of gear because they usually aren't static. DMC trinkets tend to be far better than their ilvl would suggest-- even DMC:Tsunami held its own last expansion, and the Relic is really no different, especially since you can obtain it without stepping into a single raid or dungeon. It's not BiS if you're on heroic content, but it's pretty close to BiS if you're raiding on the level normal MV.
Edited by Gloostick on 11/29/2012 11:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Lux
The number that matters here is certainly not the ilevel.

The Relic gives more static intellect than Spirits does. It also has a higher average spirit (1345 for Relic versus 1316 for Spirits, assuming the proc happens immediately when the ICD ends). These numbers are very close to one another, of course, even if the ilevel is not.

I'm a HoT healer so I tend to get pretty close to max uptime from trinkets like this. If you are of a class that uses fewer HoTs, the advantage will swing slightly towards the Relic because it has a higher chance to proc on a heal (20% versus 15%).

A slight advantage for Relic is the shorter duration and ICD. The first proc of either of these trinkets will come at the beginning of the fight, about the only time that it tends not to be needed. The first useful Spirits proc will come 105s into the fight, while the first useful Relic proc will only take 45s. I don't think this responsiveness is a huge deal since by the end it'll all be pretty even, but it exists.

Heroic Spirits will of course easily beat out the Relic. But until you get that there isn't anything better.
Edited by Barandis on 11/29/2012 11:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Sad that they nerfed it to the ground, I mainly wanted it for the spell change it did to LoD not sure I am gonna buy it now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]