Rogue DPS a struggle

90 Worgen Death Knight
Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I can't seem to get a great deal of DPS out of my rogue even in single target PVE.

I have gone combat with nightstalker, combat readiness, leeching poison, shadowstep and prey on the weak. (only level 87).
All of the gear I have just about is level 87 gear.

My rotation has been the following:
Sap (extra 10% damage)
Ambush
Revealing Strike
spam Sinister Strike until full combo points
Rupture
refresh revealing strike if needed
sinister strike spam
Slice and Dice
rinse repeat

am I doing something wrong? I mean when I am on my DK, priest, and Monk all do massive damage and kill things pretty darn quickly. The rogue is a struggle.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/uther/Sicam/simple
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Don't Rupture.

Even at advanced gear levels it takes certain planetary alignments to ensure you can have Rupture acceptably.

Basically you have it right. Just remember to Killing Spree on Red Buff.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
Don't Rupture.

Even at advanced gear levels it takes certain planetary alignments to ensure you can have Rupture acceptably.

Basically you have it right. Just remember to Killing Spree on Red Buff.

No.

For single target using rupture is a DPS gain and should be a priority over Evis and you should be using KS on CD. *Note: This is for raid bosses.

You need a new MH for combat, rogues are REALLY REALLY gear dependent so your monk, dk and priest will hit harder.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Your biggest issue is a lack of a 2.6 speed mainhand. Buy one (440 or higher) off the ah, or run MSP for Claws of Gekkan.

Until you get that, don't run combat. Run assassination or sub, they're perfectly adequate leveling specs.

Also, glyph deadly momentum. It's so huge for questing.

Not sure why you're asking this question while leveling. I ran through leveling pretty quick on my last alt, that started in cata blues.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Thanks for the replies, I will give these suggestions a try.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
Also, switch your rotation slightly.

I have an Ambush macro that casts SnD as well. SnD is unaffected by RS so having RS up or not is immaterial for using SnD. Having SnD up will, however, help with your Combat Potency and Main Gauche procs due to the increase in your auto-attack speed.

Rupture should only be used if you have some BG stacks. The ideal time to use Rupture is with only a couple seconds left on Deep Insight because even once Deep Insight fades your Rupture will keep ticking as if Deep Insight were still up. But by all means, if you have 5 CPs and you won't generate another 5 before you lose Insight then use Rupture.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
meh i never bothered with ambush. i just opened with rvs to advance guile as fast as possible.

don't bother with rupture until later, even using it optimally is only a 1-2% dps gain.

macro shadow blades and adren rush together; burn it as quick as you can on bosses and wait till it's done to throw up killing spree. or use killing spree first, so long as you have at least shallow insight, i can never remember the order.
Reply Quote
Leveling the rogue was more painful than leveling my feral druid. It's just not very much fun at all. You certainly need 2.6 weapons for combat and you can get them off vendors that sell green gear for gold.

You might experiment with mutilate if you want to keep the daggers. Nothing is going to make the rogue particularly "fun" to level with and it just takes time to kill things. When our gear decays, it just gets flat out miserable for us and doesn't pick up until we're decently geared again.

Icy Veins has a leveling rogue guide that's moderately helpful.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
To the OP, I noticed that my rogue alt did much less DPS while leveling and when hitting 90 with quest greens/blues. It easily did 40% less DPS than this shaman upon hitting 90. However, after I started getting gear that situation quickly changed.

Unfortunately, rogues are designed around a substantial amount of passive damage that quickly scales and gets better once your haste/agility start getting higher. So while your DPS might suck now, just try to be patient and wait it out.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Also, switch your rotation slightly.

I have an Ambush macro that casts SnD as well. SnD is unaffected by RS so having RS up or not is immaterial for using SnD. Having SnD up will, however, help with your Combat Potency and Main Gauche procs due to the increase in your auto-attack speed.

Rupture should only be used if you have some BG stacks. The ideal time to use Rupture is with only a couple seconds left on Deep Insight because even once Deep Insight fades your Rupture will keep ticking as if Deep Insight were still up. But by all means, if you have 5 CPs and you won't generate another 5 before you lose Insight then use Rupture.

This. Your priority should be getting SnD up ASAP. It's the single biggest DPS increase you have control over.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
Blizzard design rogues hit and expertise to be separate for Special Attacks and Melee.Special attacks are cap at 7.56%,(if that's correct) Melee has to be cap 20% to never miss.Were they expecting rogues to depend on Special attacks to do more damage in DPS when they nerf damage on Ambush,Envenom and Eviscerate,Backstab which is balance enough for the class?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]