X Dev plays Y class, barking up wrong tree

90 Troll Shaman
The reason why the game is so unbalanced (and hence not as fun as it used to be) is definately not because of favouritism due to some developer playing a specific class, eg GC playing a mage. That is a baseless, silly idea that I see often in the QQ posts that are especially lacking in mature thoughtful analysis of the current situation.

Now I am only making an educated and logical guess here, but the evidence to support my guess is before my eyes.

The reason, or at least one of the reasons there are so many broken things in the game (Warriors, Mages, Locks, FDruids, etc) is because of BAD or LAZY Design decisions, grossly insufficient Play Testing and even more troubling, a low level disregard for confirmed issues.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
It's pretty funny how often that accusation comes up,like GC actually values his WoW character more than his career.
Edited by Lethargy on 11/28/2012 8:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
11/28/2012 08:38 PMPosted by Kutcho
The reason, or at least one of the reasons there are so many broken things in the game (Warriors, Mages, Locks, FDruids, etc) is because of BAD or LAZY Design decisions, grossly insufficient Play Testing and even more troubling, a low level disregard for confirmed issues.

Fine.

But why are all the bad, sloppy design decisions made with effecting the usual suspects?

11/28/2012 08:40 PMPosted by Lethargy
It's pretty funny how often that accusation comes up,like GC actually values his WoW character more than his career.

Who says its conscious? We all think the class was play is fine when OP and nerfed to hell when its not. We just don't all get to make the decisions.

I don't buy it though. I don't think he plays a mage nor is that why the balance is so terrible, I think its because they don't know how to fix things given the maxims they've put out, and we have an established history of not wanting to admit fault.

I'll take the 7% HP buff reasoning for Shaman to my grave.
Edited by Thundahstahm on 11/28/2012 8:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
The game is unbalanced because different classes are different. Different classes/specs have different strengths and weaknesses, and players always notice when other classes/specs are doing something well that their class/spec doesn't excel at. Grass being greener and all that.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
11/28/2012 08:44 PMPosted by Thundahstahm
But why are all the bad, sloppy design decisions made with effecting the usual suspects?

Have you seen the lvl 90 mage talents that are pretty widely despised by everyone aside from Lhiv?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
The game is balanced warrior vs mage, all other classes are just collatoral damage in that ongoing war.

Warriors get tools to catch mages, mages get tools to get away from warriors.

Every other class gets screwed in the middle.

Thats my take anyway.
Edited by Vaelkyri on 11/28/2012 10:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
11/28/2012 08:44 PMPosted by Thundahstahm
I don't buy it though. I don't think he plays a mage nor is that why the balance is so terrible, I think its because they don't know how to fix things given the maxims they've put out, and we have an established history of not wanting to admit fau

yes,. I think he has a account, possibly a few toons at various levels. But id have to imagine someone of his importance would have very little time to "play" a video game. I d guess for the past few years he has been occasionally listening in on theory crafting bull sessions, and the COO, then he makes a decision on what is more profitable, no matter what it does to the game.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
While I agree that I doubt GC does what people claim.....but

you do gotta admit it's one HELL of a coincidence that Mages of any flavor has topped pvp and pve damn near every expansion. I was looking at worldoflogs earlier and in 10/25 Fire mages are damn near unchallenged. Last 2-3 expansions Frost Mages have OWNED pvp.

And at times you seriously gotta daydream would it still be the same if GC played another class? LOL.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
It does seem like a obvious reason, but ive watched to many episodes of Matlock to know that the most obvious villain is usually just a patsy.

but I have to stick with the idea that profit > everything. Even if it means selecting and rotating fotm's, with some specs more than others depending on which spec more people play (on average)

but i still wonder why monks are not the current fotm, i know they caught alot of heat when Dks first appeared and way over tuned, but they seemed to have gone the total opposite direction with tuning monks. Just seems that a new class should be fotm no matter what when they first appear.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
People should also move away from the assumption that all balance decisions are presided over by one all-powerful overlord of blizz (GC), but rather teams of people.

In a sense, it makes it even more baffling that so many crazy decisions are green lighted by multiple intelligent profesionals.

I reckon they need more play testers
Reply Quote
Honestly, I doubt Ghostcrawler even plays the game.

GC probably has a group of grad students or college interns, about a group of 10 of them, that play the game for him and defer all decision making to him.

The Warrior Intern probably thought of Dragon's Roar from playing Skyrim.

Shaman Intern: No, I never get silenced playing as Enhancement.

Mage Intern: You know how cool a spell Evocation was? We need to use it more often because its so cool.

Hunter Intern: (Hasn't shown up for work in a couple of years)

Etc.
Reply Quote
5 Human Warlock
i think some people have forgot or maybe wasn't around, but in s2 or s3 i think it was,gc was playing a warrior. i guess maybe he still does. coincidence???
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
So hold on.

When we say GC is biased (and also an idiot; read his Twitter feed...that man is trolling) it's uneducated blither blather.

But when you randomly guess that the reason why things are so bad is because of laziness....that's educated and valid??
Reply Quote
11/29/2012 04:58 AMPosted by Sithaya
i think some people have forgot or maybe wasn't around, but in s2 or s3 i think it was,gc was playing a warrior. i guess maybe he still does. coincidence???

That was Kalgan, he's not lead developer anymore.
Hasn't been for quite some time.

I don't even think GC was around at all during that point.
Kalgan also moved on to a mage going into Wrath.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
So hold on.

When we say GC is biased (and also an idiot; read his Twitter feed...that man is trolling) it's uneducated blither blather.

But when you randomly guess that the reason why things are so bad is because of laziness....that's educated and valid??

Well the bias part is making at least two assumptions.

That he plays whatever class/spec. And that he biased enough for it to change his outlook on balance.

Him being lazy is one assumption at max.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
The best part about this is that people still cling to GC playing a mage, when that's not been the case for years. And that Warlocks have been better in PvP and PvE on average for a long time now, excepting a few short periods of mages being extremely good, like Dragon soul for fire, or right now for fire in PvE. I mean, Mages were decent in PvE in Cata, and good in PvP, but Warlocks (and rogues) were overall better. Just how much of the whining comes from duels and random battlegrounds, where people like to throw in "GC plays a mage! I totally heard that on the forums!"? I mean, according to the same source, he plays a druid too. Nerf druids!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
So hold on.

Well the bias part is making at least two assumptions.

That he plays whatever class/spec. And that he biased enough for it to change his outlook on balance.

Him being lazy is one assumption at max.

Sigh
Edited by Sariph on 11/29/2012 11:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
5 Human Warlock
That was Kalgan, he's not lead developer anymore.
Hasn't been for quite some time.

I don't even think GC was around at all during that point.
Kalgan also moved on to a mage going into Wrath.

yes you are right, i stand corrected. that was kalgan.had a flashback of the same topic from years ago
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
So hold on.

Even if GC (one single person in a senior position at WoW HQ, well known among WoW forum users due to him being an active forum user himself at one time) does prefer playing a mage over a druid, or a rogue over a hunter, it is not just him and only him that is the source of class balance changes. It is numerous people, bouncing ideas off each other and deciding on a tact.

Who cares if he is "bias", no company as large and successful as Blizzard is letting one employees' fondness of a class directly and significantly alter what is their most important creation and major cash cow.

I referred to "laziness" in the design and implementation context, not a trait of some dude who never takes the stairs. I would classify the across the board nerf to hybrid healing as a lazy solution to an issue. Also the increase in PVP power in weapons is a solution that doesnt appear to have been thoroughly explored or tested or potential repercussions predicted. There are lots of other examples.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]