Zen Meditation, need to change this worthless

90 Blood Elf Monk
Now what blizzard really should buff is the stupid Zen Meditaion on Beta it was tooooooooo OP, now its toooooooooo bad

I really think they should make it ALL sources of magic dmg for 4secs and redirect to the mist weaver taking 80% reduced dmg, so it would be nice on some aoe dmg, all healers would have to focus on the monk or he might die but all the rest of the raid was safe.

I see some funny usage of this spell. On beta it was like 8 secs and was 99% so yeah entire raid immortal for 8 secs... but make it just 4 secs and just 80% yeah you could get yr healer dead, but if all the raid healers focus on him its ok.

And of course make it mist weaver only, because tank hardly use the spell nowadays because n melee hit cancel the effect, and ww never use it at all since dps really don't care for defensive cool downs that lower his dmg. (AND cmon don't come saying >>> hey i use it, its useful i used it...once...in one day back in time...since mop came out...)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
There are fights where you don't dps 100% of the time. And everyone likes raid cooldowns even at the cost of dps.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
ww never use it at all since dps really don't care for defensive cool downs that lower his dmg.

You know what lowers your DPS more than channeling a defensive spell for a few seconds? Being dead.

I really have zero tolerance for this DPS mentality of sacrificing everything for more damage. It's kinda ironic, the focus on maximizing DPS increases as you go up the player skill ladder, until you reach a certain point (about the start of heroic mode raids), where focus on it suddenly starts decreasing again. These players still maximize their DPS (nearly unconsciously, I might add), but they realize more and more the higher up that ladder that you get that DPS output is not the end-all be-all of being a DPSer.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Zen Meditation should be a raid cd, as monk healer dont have any damage reduction raid cd.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/29/2012 04:21 AMPosted by Xio
Zen Meditation should be a raid cd, as monk healer dont have any damage reduction raid cd.

agree
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
11/29/2012 03:11 AMPosted by Mithoniel
And of course make it mist weaver only, because tank hardly use the spell nowadays because n melee hit cancel the effect, and ww never use it at all since dps really don't care for defensive cool downs that lower his dmg. (AND cmon don't come saying >>> hey i use it, its useful i used it...once...in one day back in time...since mop came out...)

Sorry but my WW Monk uses it all of the time, just because you tunnel the DPS meters doesn't mean everyone else does.
Edited by Noidentity on 11/29/2012 12:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
11/29/2012 07:52 AMPosted by Noidentity

Sorry but my WW Monk uses it all of the time, just because tunnel the DPS meters doesn't mean everyone else does.

What raid mechanics does it work on? I was under the impression that it doesn't affect AoEs, and would only redirect single target spells. If it did affect AoEs, it would still just be a crappy version of anti-magic zone because it would be completely consumed in one hit, but be channeled with a longer cooldown.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
its used more as a personal cooldown than a raid cooldown at the moment. I know personally i use it on any big hit for the upfront 90% dr. physical or magical the 90%dr still applies even if the attack breaks the channel.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
11/29/2012 08:37 AMPosted by Leciel
What raid mechanics does it work on? I was under the impression that it doesn't affect AoEs, and would only redirect single target spells. If it did affect AoEs, it would still just be a crappy version of anti-magic zone because it would be completely consumed in one hit, but be channeled with a longer cooldown.

Since there really aren't that many situations where you need to worry about redirecting spells to you I mainly use it for heavy AoE periods or when I know that I am going to be hit by something big like the Spirit Kinds cleave ability on the first boss.

Though sometimes it is also my fault that I take the damage since I tend to take a little too much advantage of our high maneuverability from FSK/roll which can make me first in line to take a hit during transitions like on Imperial Vizier Zor'lok.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
11/29/2012 07:52 AMPosted by Noidentity

Sorry but my WW Monk uses it all of the time, just because tunnel the DPS meters doesn't mean everyone else does.

I use it all the time myself. I do like helping out our healers when they are screaming for mana...those few seconds of mitigation can lead to a boss kill.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Shaman
DPS should be using defensive cooldowns. But with the way Zen Meditation is currently, its more of a personal cooldown than a raid cooldown.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The really disappointing aspect of Zen Meditation is how much work the art team did for this ability. It is well animated and ripe with story and concept.

I imagine the creative team came up with something like this.

After years of training a monk can meditate and selflessly redirect pain and agony to themselves. The Zen monastery training allows monks to diffuse most of this pain, but any interruption will cancel this mental state.

They made a beautiful spell effect that is fairly elaborate graphic with spinning Pandaren characters that encircle and protect the monk and a powerful sphere to symbolize protection.

This was all handed off to a different team to create a matching game mechanic, another team probably developed the mathematical values, another team animated it, another coded it and finally a team "balanced" the ability.

Somewhere along the line the feeling of Zen Meditation got lost.

It has become a second fortifying brew on a longer timer, it is for pve'rs almost always and solely a self buff. It is a very powerful self-buff, the issue isn't that the ability isn't strong it is the ability doesn't match the lore or visual aesthetic of Zen Meditation. Most likely this is where the frustration comes, a cognitive disconnect from what players expect when they see the visual read the description and what they get.

I'm not going to suggest exactly what Zen Meditation should do specifically, as there are plenty of brilliant people working at blizzard who probably have a notebook full of their ideas with the communities suggestions. I'm not asking for a buff either, currently Zen Meditation is an extremely strong personal cool down (one of the very best.) What I and other player are looking for is simply an ability that is more in line with the spirit of the ability.

The ability protects allies by redirecting harm (damage) to the monk who is somehow shielded from this harm.

As soon as the ability comes closer to what players natural expect it does the confusion and disappointment will go away to.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Absolutely useless in pvp, you wouldn't have enough time to get it off, attacks can break it (just send a pet in to interpt it) most certainly not worth getting the glyph for it in pvp. They just need to add some kind of protective thing on it e.g have to do 75k dmg to interrupt it(doesnt affect monks hp)
Reply Quote
1 Troll Shaman
11/29/2012 02:01 PMPosted by Havocz
Absolutely useless in pvp, you wouldn't have enough time to get it off, attacks can break it (just send a pet in to interpt it) most certainly not worth getting the glyph for it in pvp. They just need to add some kind of protective thing on it e.g have to do 75k dmg to interrupt it(doesnt affect monks hp)
You know something else that makes it useless for mistweaver monks.

It redirects silence effects and crowd control effects.
I'm sure the first thing a mistweaver monk cares to do is get himself CC'd, with how bad they deal with CC as it is anyways.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
So for one, this spell is AMAZING against Immerseus, when the healing adds hit the center pop zen meditation to negate nearly ALL of the damage you would have taken. You can use it in The Fallen Protectors for the meteor strike just pop it right before it hits, you can use it on Sha of Pride when he does swelling pride to help put the healers. Honestly this is an amazing spell, you just have to actually use it.
Edited by Aegisa on 10/11/2013 1:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Zen med has been good. And will continue to be good. You bad.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Zen med has been good. And will continue to be good. You bad.

What you mean is, it is USEFUL, as in, it performs its intended function in certain, relatively rare situations.

A good ability, is one that is useful often. In pvp, this spell is almost always worthless. It is occasionally useful against certain spellcasters, to eat a big nuke or cc, but so many conditions have to apply, that frankly, I often forget it is there (usually only chaos bolt reminds me when it is just me and a lock and he doesn't have a pet).

They could make it actually good, such as not breaking on melee damage, even if it doesn't reduce melee damage. I mean, our damage, healing and cc output, as well as our mobility are tanked, why does it have to also be rendered useless so easily?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk

It works as an amazing self defensive CD for any magic damage source. Completely ignoring empowered whirling corruption is pretty pro.

I do think that it should be some sort of raid wide damage reduction CD though, at least for WW and MW monks.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
It has it's uses.

Eating extra breaths on Immerseus.

personal damage reduction in Mad AoE. (yes, it reduces any AoE)

reduces one mad melee hit (because it breaks on melee. Will also break if you get hit by knockback effects, unless glyphed.)
and of course, redirecting spells.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
dat necro
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]